Would you extend DeRozan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you extend DeRozan?

Halloween is getting close and it looks like DD will get more trick than treat. And that may be just fine with him if he's expecting a bigger treat next year. But if you were the management....what would you do? It would be a shame to get stuck with a long contract for a dud. It would be a shame to have some other team give him a max offer if he has a good (but not great) year. Hmmm
    Yes
    42.42%
    No
    57.58%
    Last edited by Jclaw; Sat Oct 27, 2012, 03:25 PM.

I would wait to see what happens this season. One huge plus for Demar that often gets overlooked is that he has been virtually unbreakable.

Comment

I said no.

It would be unwise for the Raptors to pay him what he is likely seeking based on his first 3 years.

The Raptors have an opportunity to match any offer he receives next summer.

If he has a break out season, he'll then likely be worth what he is seeking.

If not contract is reached, Raps still have qualifying offer for '13-14.

My position is based on the fact he is likely not offering a home team discount on his first non-rookie contract. If he was willing to sign for $4M you have a real choice to make, but I doubt he is. He is likely looking for $8-10M and if he has a break out season he might be worth that..... and if he does the Raptors have the opportunity to offer it or match it.

Raps have nothing to lose by waiting until next summer and they should.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I said no.

It would be unwise for the Raptors to pay him what he is likely seeking based on his first 3 years.

My position is based on the fact he is likely not offering a home team discount on his first non-rookie contract. If he was willing to sign for $4M you have a real choice to make, but I doubt he is. He is likely looking for $8-10M and if he has a break out season he might be worth that..... and if he does the Raptors have the opportunity to offer it or match it.

I agree completely, although I'd add that I really hope he gets traded before then, because I don't trust the other 29 GMs not to give him an overpriced RFA offer sheet, and I don't trust BC to have the restraint not to match if that does happen. I couldn't believe it when Minny gave Batum that max offer sheet, and then I believed it even less when Portland matched.

Comment

What seems to often get forgotten in these extension discussions is that unless the team, Raps in this case, is willing to offer what the player and his agent thinks he'll be worth (which I bet is over market value right now), the decision is more up to the player than the team. Unless BC offers DD a crazy extension, it's in DD's best interest to strut his stuff this season and test the market for his value next summer.

Comment

Agree.

Before I paid DeRozan I'd want him to show a better understanding of the game. Right now he hurts the team more than I think people realize. On offense he's a black hole not by virtue of his shot selection but because he doesn't seem to really have a great understanding of team basketball and doesn't really contribute to it other than by tunnel-visioned scoring. When he gets the ball he doesn't have much of an idea what to do with it unless he's in a position to look for his shot, and that's a big problem because it really derails a half court offense. Worse still is how that would be magnified in the playoffs, when teams see each other 4+ games in a row and sets are so often disrupted. Just ask yourself when the last time was that DeRozan got the ball and did something savvy like run a pick and roll to initiate a mismatch for a team mate, or use a fake to to shift a defense before a swing pass? Side note: I cringe when he tries to feed the post or swing the ball from the top of the circle to the wing.

Defensively he has the same problem, it just manifests itself differently. He loses his man, doesn't seem to anticipate where the ball is going or see the play developing. Frankly he just always looks like he's two steps behind the play, like he's just reacting instead of causing the offensive player discomfort and taking them out of their game.

Maybe that's asking too much of a 4th year player who's had 3 different coaches and was about as raw as it gets coming in, but feel for the game is something that seems to be innate. DeRozan needs to show he's more than just an athlete playing basketball.

edit: Too many sentences starting with 'right now'.

Comment

what about going after monta elis free agent next summer
              i mean some money who u rather have .

Comment

ab7 wrote: View Post
                what about going after monta elis free agent next summer
                i mean some money who u rather have .
                Nah monta ellis is an undersized derozan with a better jumpshot. He can score in bunches but cant play D cause he's too tiny to guard SG's. No thank you

Comment

I said no.

Agree with everything you are saying .. outside of the numbers. $4m is crazy .. no way he would (or should even think of signing for that). $8 mm I actualy think is resonable ($32 mm over 4 years?). In a world where Fields is making north of $6 mm / year and people on this boards have typeds thousands of words trying to justify it (not you, I know Matt .. just in general) - I have a hard time believing Demar isnt worth $8m. $10 m+ i agree is overpaying.

Of course, all of this is contigent on seeing whether he can stick to his post up game (particularily after teams make adjustments to stop it) and be successful. If yes, then the above is true. If not, and we dont see any developments .. then Im happy to let T Ross take his place at a much lower price (and / or Fields, who we are stuck with for 3 more years).

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                    What seems to often get forgotten in these extension discussions is that unless the team, Raps in this case, is willing to offer what the player and his agent thinks he'll be worth (which I bet is over market value right now), the decision is more up to the player than the team. Unless BC offers DD a crazy extension, it's in DD's best interest to strut his stuff this season and test the market for his value next summer.
                    I'm going to knock on wood before, during, and after.

*knock on wood*

I disagree. If DeMar has a mediocre year like last season, he is one more year farther away from the 'potential' label and that is not good for his bottom line. He'll be 24 next summer. If DeMar has a horrible season that is obviously not good for his bottom line either and the use of 'potential' and DeRozan together will likely cease to exist. If DeMar has a career ending injury, he gets nothing.

*knock on wood*

We're not talking about a D12 or Deron Williams or Chris Paul who are coming off a max contract. He is coming off his rookie deal and turning aside $20M right now might look pretty stupid after this coming season.

*knock on wood*

Wishing DeMar all the best and hopefully everything works out in the best interests of him and the Raptors.

Comment

I'm going to knock on wood before, during, and after.

*knock on wood*

I disagree. If DeMar has a mediocre year like last season, he is one more year farther away from the 'potential' label and that is not good for his bottom line. He'll be 24 next summer. If DeMar has a horrible season that is obviously not good for his bottom line either and the use of 'potential' and DeRozan together will likely cease to exist. If DeMar has a career ending injury, he gets nothing.

*knock on wood*

We're not talking about a D12 or Deron Williams or Chris Paul who are coming off a max contract. He is coming off his rookie deal and turning aside $20M right now might look pretty stupid after this coming season.

*knock on wood*

Wishing DeMar all the best and hopefully everything works out in the best interests of him and the Raptors.

You're absolutely correct in saying there's risk involved in Demar waiting. I was a tad off base in saying flatly that it's in his best interests to wait. What it boils down, and I did a terrible job of pointing out, is that it's not just a matter of the Raps "deciding" to extend him or not. It's up to both sides. What is likely though, is that BC certainly isn't willing to extend him with a huge offer at this point, rightly so, and that they've agreed TOGETHER to see what he delivers this year before getting serious about talks.

Comment

Im sure Dero is thinking hes got to be worth more then Fields... soo.. i would not extend him even at those numbers & i sure as hell wouldnt give him any more then that.. i say let the market decide his value & if its in our best interest to keep him around then so be it. if not then bye bye..& we still got Ross ;-)

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                          Im sure Dero is thinking hes got to be worth more then Fields... soo.. i would not extend him even at those numbers & i sure as hell wouldnt give him any more then that.. i say let the market decide his value & if its in our best interest to keep him around then so be it. if not then bye bye..& we still got Ross ;-)
                          +1

Comment

i said yes but there is no price value to vote on. i couldnt see him getting more than mayo or beas now.

Comment

I view this differently. Unless Demar is willing to take a contract (in my eyes something around 4 or 5 mil over 3 or 4 years would be at the top end) then the team should look to trade him.

There is too much risk involved with him right now. He, as others have pointed out, is probably looking for or expecting to make much more than that so would probably want to wait out the season. However, even if he does have a good or great season, thats one season in four, and on his contract year. Its quite likely some team will offer him something the Raps would not like to pay. Even if he has a poor season, him getting a contract offer for more than he should is likely.

The reality is Demar would need to have good seasons going foward (and not this season) to be paid fairly. So far he hasn't shown any reason why we should believe that to be likely.

The risk - reward scenario is not in the Raptors favor unless Demar does sign a fair (and probably low in his eyes) extension before the deadline. If not, trade time.

Comment

Working...
                              X