No announcement yet.

James Harden traded to Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that many people are really under valuing the chemistry Durant, Westbrook, and Harden have (or "had" I should say). They were a championship caliber team. They played together their whole careers. They know each other's game. Not only that, but they matched up well with the Lakers. I still thought they were the best team in the West, even with the Lakers on the block. Why not wait the year? I dont think this Thunder team will be better than last years.

Sure, Harden had a tough finals, but people forget he was one of the main reasons they beat San Antonio. I dont know if I give up a guy I know can play for Lamb and a couple of late lottery picks (I would guess K-Mart a rental).

This trade is more about winning in a few years (when the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, and Heat are all older). In that aspect, they set themselves up nicely, but I do not know if I would ruin the chemistry of a championship team now (I mean these guys, if they stuck together, would have been in the championship conversation for the next 5 years at least), for a better shot down the road.

Comment

As a sidebar, with all those OKC players moving to Houston could mean that there will be a roster spot for Andy Rautins who has played very well in preseason for the Thunder.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
        I think that many people are really under valuing the chemistry Durant, Westbrook, and Harden have (or "had" I should say). They were a championship caliber team. They played together their whole careers. They know each other's game. Not only that, but they matched up well with the Lakers. I still thought they were the best team in the West, even with the Lakers on the block. Why not wait the year? I dont think this Thunder team will be better than last years.

Sure, Harden had a tough finals, but people forget he was one of the main reasons they beat San Antonio. I dont know if I give up a guy I know can play for Lamb and a couple of late lottery picks (I would guess K-Mart a rental).

This trade is more about winning in a few years (when the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, and Heat are all older). In that aspect, they set themselves up nicely, but I do not know if I would ruin the chemistry of a championship team now (I mean these guys, if they stuck together, would have been in the championship conversation for the next 5 years at least), for a better shot down the road.
        Absolutely thats a big part of this. This is Presti's MO. Patience and long term sustainability.

And its not like Presti sacrificied any chance of winning a championship along the way. Martin isn't as good as Harden, but he's not exactly a nobody, and I could see him being better suited as a 6th man then a starter. Plus when you look at how signing Harden at anything less than a discount would add some financial difficulties for the team, while at the same time adding Lamb + picks offers some cheap long term assets.

Presti made OKCs road to a championship harder this year (in a year that was going to be hard as it was) for an opportunity to make it easier to win one (or multiples) in the future.

This is the impressive thing about Presti and OKC. He can not only recognize talent and consistently find value for that talent, but he recognizes his own talent (drafting). He plays to his strengths that also happen to fit the need of his market (small market team).

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
          Absolutely thats a big part of this. This is Presti's MO. Patience and long term sustainability.

And its not like Presti sacrificied any chance of winning a championship along the way. Martin isn't as good as Harden, but he's not exactly a nobody, and I could see him being better suited as a 6th man then a starter. Plus when you look at how signing Harden at anything less than a discount would add some financial difficulties for the team, while at the same time adding Lamb + picks offers some cheap long term assets.

Presti made OKCs road to a championship harder this year (in a year that was going to be hard as it was) for an opportunity to make it easier to win one (or multiples) in the future.

This is the impressive thing about Presti and OKC. He can not only recognize talent and consistently find value for that talent, but he recognizes his own talent (drafting). He plays to his strengths that also happen to fit the need of his market (small market team).
          I just think that they had something very amazing (and rare) with Harden, Durant, and Westrbook. How often do you have three amazing scorers on one team without egos clashing? I would have kept those three together as long as possible.

I understand that they were in a tough position (being a small market team, having to give out 3 max contracts), but when you have a young championship calibre core, why not do your best to keep them together? Marc Stein (along with various other analysts and players) claim that this move is going to "shake up the locker room".

Comment

If we dont make the playoffs and dallas too, they have two lottery picks + Lamb, PJ3 that's shitload of young talent added

Comment

Late to the party, but I just want to say OKC definitely did the smart thing and their haul is actually really good. Lamb will be a better 3 and d player than Sefalosha sooner than later and Martin will probably average like 16 ppg off the bench provided he stays healthy. And then there's the draft picks.

I like Harden and everything but he's not a #1 guy and definitely not worth max money. As pretty much the only scoring option on that rockets team I predict by January we'll see lots of "Harden should have just taken OKC's first offer" posts.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

This is from Grantland,

Before the 2009 draft, Harden (considered to be a top-five pick) e-mailed Presti pushing for Oklahoma City to select him third overall. See, Harden disliked being "The Man" at Arizona State. He hated the pressure of delivering game after game after game. He didn't need 20 shots a game. He'd rather become the third-best player on a great team than the best player on a forgettable one. If anything, playing with Durant and Westbrook was perfect for him. James Harden wanted to make sure Sam Presti knew that. So he e-mailed him to make sure.
                http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...harden-dilemma

Not, i repeat, NOT the characteristc of a dude id throw max money at, much less trade draft picks and a young stud like Lamb for.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Wow check out Harden giving the win to Houston with 37 points 6 rebounds, 4 steals 12 assists and going 4-10 from the 3 pointer.....

Maybe OKC should have given him the money he wanted......

Comment

I would never have expected a stat line like that from Harden.. thats impressive, he's a great playmaker

Comment

insane, i wish derozan was that good. He better prove us wrong this season

Comment

He wasn't finished yet, I'm getting the feeling he's just getting started. His line tonight against Atlanta: 45pts on 14-19 2-4 3pt 15-17 fts 7 rebounds 2 assists. What a game by Harden, OKC must wish they never traded him. Seems like Harden is doing everything in his power to make them regret it. Love it!
                        We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

James Harden sort of reminds me of Gilbert Arenas in the "Agent Zero" days. He is just playing with a chip on his shoulder. Really fun to watch. And Lin/Asik have been great too.

Once again, I think OKC messed up.

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
                            He wasn't finished yet, I'm getting the feeling he's just getting started. His line tonight against Atlanta: 45pts on 14-19 2-4 3pt 15-17 fts 7 rebounds 2 assists. What a game by Harden, OKC must wish they never traded him. Seems like Harden is doing everything in his power to make them regret it. Love it!
                            Harden might show everyone that he may deserve to be called the best shooting guard in this league.

Comment

The Future of the Rockets

Lin/Douglas
                              Harden/SG
                              Parsons/R.White
                              Jones/M.Morris/
                              C/Asik

What the Rockets need is a defensive C, possibly veteran hall of famer C to play alongside Lin and Harden, they might try and pry either Greg Monroe, Hibbert, Cousins, or DeAndre Jordan from their current teams or they could win the lottery this year and draft Nerlens Noel. Then, they will truly be a contender in the West.

Harden from what I see, has definitely become one of the best SG to play in this league, could run up for MVP this year, let's hope he continues. Moses delivers.

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                                The Future of the Rockets

Lin/Douglas
                                Harden/SG
                                Parsons/R.White
                                Jones/M.Morris/
                                C/Asik

What the Rockets need is a defensive C, possibly veteran hall of famer C to play alongside Lin and Harden, they might try and pry either Greg Monroe, Hibbert, Cousins, or DeAndre Jordan from their current teams or they could win the lottery this year and draft Nerlens Noel. Then, they will truly be a contender in the West.

Harden from what I see, has definitely become one of the best SG to play in this league, could run up for MVP this year, let's hope he continues. Moses delivers.
                                Yeah, they need a defensive C; that Asik guy is offense only.

Comment

Working...
                                X