Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Raptors pull a "James Harden" with Derozan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mountio wrote: View Post
    I dont think anyone would object to trading DD (or anyone else) - the question is whether there is a team on the other side willing to give up assets for DD .. I think the answer is no.
    I don't know the answer to this question.

But as I said in the quoted post: ....... if it improves the Raptors.

Comment

Phoenix is still looking for a SG.. they were interested in Harden, and made an offer to Gordon in the off season. DeMar is not in the same class, but Phoenix may be interested. This is not a trade thread, but I'd be willing to trade DeMar for Dudley and then move Fields to SG:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=87b9ffw

Comment

Gordon, Brook Lopez and Hibbert signed max contracts last year and I believe Harden is better than any one of them so I dont think he was over pricing himself though if I were him I would have stayed with OKC for a small discount...that is a great team already and he has another big contract in his career. OKC sold high on Harden (he didnt have a good finals). If the market is valuing DD anywhere above 10 mill. BC should pull a deal. It also depends on Ross' progress I suppose.

Comment

Fields at shooting guard. Yikes!! Until he can hit a jump shot and a trey forget it. 18 million $$$ mistake if you ask me!

Comment

people think before you type....

The reason Presti could pull this off is because he wasnt going to be able to match if a team on the open market offered Harden a max deal. If any NBA team is going to offer Demar a max deal, more power to Demar and it sucks to see you go.

Also i highly doubt any team has been calling Bryan for months asking about Demar's availability like Morey was to Presti and if they are, it wont be the same haul that OKC got.

Let Demar play the season out, see what the market value for Demar is, then make a decision

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
              Its obvious from contract extension talks that Demar wants more money then the Raptors are willing to give him. I know Demar is no James Harden but after that huge trade how much do you think he is worth if we dangle him out there?!
              It's not so obvious to me. I thought I read somewhere that Bryan Colengelo and DeRozan's agent had decided to wait to resume negotiations as both were unclear as to DeMar's worth.

What would we get for him? Very little of value I am afraid as DeMar has shown no other skill than scoring and it's rather unclear whether he should be starting in this league.

I am hoping for a breakout year but would not be surprised if DeMar is a sixth man in 2013-14.

Not very much I am afraid. It is unclear whether DeRozan will ever be more than just a scorer
              Last edited by Hugmenot; Mon Oct 29, 2012, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Madman wrote: View Post
                people think before you type....

The reason Presti could pull this off is because he wasnt going to be able to match if a team on the open market offered Harden a max deal. If any NBA team is going to offer Demar a max deal, more power to Demar and it sucks to see you go.

Also i highly doubt any team has been calling Bryan for months asking about Demar's availability like Morey was to Presti and if they are, it wont be the same haul that OKC got.

Let Demar play the season out, see what the market value for Demar is, then make a decision

He/OKC offered a deal that was worth close to $55M dollars over 4 seasons. The max any other team could offer was $58M. There was a matter of principle that Presti/OKC had managed to get Perkins, Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka to all make a small sacrifice for the franchise and to keep the core together. It appears Harden (which was his right, I am not shitting on the guy) did not want to follow the same path. Presti did what he felt best for the franchise.

It would appear that Presti/OKC did not want the distraction for a year and they did not want to treat a player differently than they had everyone else - especially when they all made certain sacrifices.

Comment

He's a better shooter than DD

Comment

How do the Raps 'pull a Harden'?

Harden turned down a perfectly good offer that OKC was offering, and Presti was like 'screw that, it'll be weighing down my team if i give him the max'. It was publicly rumoured tht Harden would want the max, deserved or not...

Just because nothing has been said about the issue doesn't mean that we have a similar situation at hand...

Why do people have to jump to such conclusions?

Seems like some people want a good reason to say 'gtfo Derozan' because he 'supposedly' wants more than he's worth...

That being said, I would wait it out.
                    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Has anyone actually read anything with a number value attached to what DeMar is seeking and the Raptors are offering?

Comment

Not me, Matt. The little I read suggests that both sides are willing to wait and hope DeMar shows improvement this season. My interpretation is DeMar's agent understands DeMar would not receive much interest as a starter unless he improves, and that BryCo would like to see some improvement before he signs DeMar to a multi year contract at starter money.

I believe this is a critical year for DeMar and could be his last as a starter.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Has anyone actually read anything with a number value attached to what DeMar is seeking and the Raptors are offering?
                          no and thread creator didn't give us any links. all hyperbole and heresay here matt

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            There was a matter of principle that Presti/OKC had managed to get Perkins, Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka to all make a small sacrifice for the franchise and to keep the core together. It appears Harden (which was his right, I am not shitting on the guy) did not want to follow the same path. Presti did what he felt best for the franchise.

It would appear that Presti/OKC did not want the distraction for a year and they did not want to treat a player differently than they had everyone else - especially when they all made certain sacrifices.
                            The only "sacrifice" KD and Westbrook made was not putting an ETO or a player option year in their contracts. They're both maxed. And I don't think Perkins would have been worth more on the open market than what he got.

Comment

I think these are different situations.

With Harden:
                              - not a max player but he was looking for max money
                              - OKC could not afford to pay Harden what he wanted and he was prepared to explore free agency otherwise
                              - Harden is a solid two-way player
                              - 3rd option of the team
                              - highly sought after player

For DeRozan:
                              - not a max player; he's not even an 8-figure player
                              - Raptors can afford to pay but the question is do we want to; I could be wrong but I read a rumors page that he woudl be open to exploring free agency
                              - not a two-way player, honestly not even sure if he's a one-way player
                              - 2nd or 3rd option of the team
                              - not a highly sought after player

Given the opportunity, if there's a team out there with a relatively similar offer out there, I'd take it. An expiring contract, a prospect and a mid-first round pick? (OKC got more, but DeRozan <<< Harden). I don't need to see how he plays this season before I decide. He is never going to be an 8 figure salary guy, and that's precisely the kind of money he will be looking for when his contract is up.
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                                The only "sacrifice" KD and Westbrook made was not putting an ETO or a player option year in their contracts. They're both maxed. And I don't think Perkins would have been worth more on the open market than what he got.
                                It is a sacrifice when you realize max contracts are based on years experience. They could opt out and start a much larger contract earlier and also guarantee an extra $20M on their career earnings should the unthinkable happen. It also locks them in should they wish to leave OKC as a free agent. You might choose to put "sacrifice" in quotation marks but they did give up options, flexibility, and possibly money in a worst case situation. The lack of an ETO is also something all the top players have put in in recent years.

Comment

Working...
                                X