Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Landry Fields' shot...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Landry Fields' shot...

...has a serious hitch in its giddy-up

So a friend called me a few days ago and said "hey Tim (that's me) I got free tickets to the raptors game (against the Bucks) You like basketball right?"

I said, "No I just eat sleep breathe and shit the stuff".

He said, " You wanna come with?"

I said. "Does the Pope shit in the woods?"

ANYWHO...

being so close (damn near court side) brought up a big concern for me. Landry Fields has an ugly hitch in his shot just before the point of release. I got the chance to watch this close up and it bothered me. His wrist flicks forward in way that takes the flow from ankle to finger tip and throws a giant log in the middle of the shot. You see this a lot with young players (OBA) etc who are nervous about shooting a free throw. I wish I could dig up a video to prove this but I'm lazy. Anyway, the fact that this has yet to be corrected at the professional level disturbs me a bit. Now I only noticed this with free throws because the whole process is slowed down BUT if that same hitch is anywhere to be found in his regular stroke, I don't think you will see any increase in his FG%.

Regards,
    Tim
    Last edited by thead; Sun Oct 28th, 2012 at 03:32 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought for a second that Landry got shot

Post Thanks / Like

I should add an apostrophe

how do I edit the title of a thread?
    Last edited by thead; Sun Oct 28th, 2012 at 03:32 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    I thought for a second that Landry got shot
    Yeah me too. This sorta scared the crap out of me.

Raptors Republic Rookie Profster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen the problem with his shot too. Its like a momentary stop in the flow. Shack had the same problem but even more pronounced and we all know how bad his percentages were. He needs to stand in front of the basket with the ball cocked in one hand and simply flick the ball over the rim for a few hours to get the smooth flow to his release. I use that with players I coach.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Profster wrote: View Post
    I have seen the problem with his shot too. Its like a momentary stop in the flow. Shack had the same problem but even more pronounced and we all know how bad his percentages were. He needs to stand in front of the basket with the ball cocked in one hand and simply flick the ball over the rim for a few hours to get the smooth flow to his release. I use that with players I coach.
    Definitely, this is something I practice quite a bit when I go a few weeks without playing to get my shot back. You'd think the coaches would be all over him with trying to fix his shot.. as the starting 3, his three point threat could make or break the season

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

His hitch is not caused by the physical, but rather the mental manifesting itself in a physical way. This is what golfers call the yips and has them for sure, just like Shaq. They stem from a fear of missing shots and are very hard to get rid of.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully he fixes it. We need him to be a threat from deep or else he'll be almost useless on offense

Post Thanks / Like

3, D, and some nice cuts is what we need from LF.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, I've noticed the weird mechanics too. His shot doesn't look off, it's downright broken.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Red and White wrote: View Post
    Yeah me too. This sorta scared the crap out of me.
    I thought Raptor_11's comment was already hilarious, this one went over the top!

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Hopefully he fixes it. We need him to be a threat from deep or else he'll be almost useless on offense
    I beg to differ, hehehe. the guy is a cutting machine. one of those rare guys who knows how to cut underneath and does not care if he's getting the ball or not. so far, even though its only preseason games, i can see he's going to be a very, very good piece moving forward. that albatross of a contract is starting to look less and less disgusting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    I beg to differ, hehehe. the guy is a cutting machine. one of those rare guys who knows how to cut underneath and does not care if he's getting the ball or not. so far, even though its only preseason games, i can see he's going to be a very, very good piece moving forward. that albatross of a contract is starting to look less and less disgusting.
    Still tho. That 3 point shot is what we desperately need in that starting lineup, 3 dudes that can hit from deep

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Still tho. That 3 point shot is what we desperately need in that starting lineup, 3 dudes that can hit from deep
    Got that already. Lowry, Bargs, and Amir whenever he is relieving Jonas. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Got that already. Lowry, Bargs, and Amir whenever he is relieving Jonas. :-)
    Amir don't count. So its only Nani and Lowry, Fields needs to get that shot back

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if you have been properly recognized thead but well done on the diagnosis. Fields should have read this forum before heading off to new york for a second opinion. This has been mentioned a couple of other places in the Republic and I think it speaks to how well some of the posters here know the game. Well done

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    ...has a serious hitch in its giddy-up

So a friend called me a few days ago and said "hey Tim (that's me) I got free tickets to the raptors game (against the Bucks) You like basketball right?"

I said, "No I just eat sleep breathe and shit the stuff".

He said, " You wanna come with?"

I said. "Does the Pope shit in the woods?"

ANYWHO...

being so close (damn near court side) brought up a big concern for me. Landry Fields has an ugly hitch in his shot just before the point of release. I got the chance to watch this close up and it bothered me. His wrist flicks forward in way that takes the flow from ankle to finger tip and throws a giant log in the middle of the shot. You see this a lot with young players (OBA) etc who are nervous about shooting a free throw. I wish I could dig up a video to prove this but I'm lazy. Anyway, the fact that this has yet to be corrected at the professional level disturbs me a bit. Now I only noticed this with free throws because the whole process is slowed down BUT if that same hitch is anywhere to be found in his regular stroke, I don't think you will see any increase in his FG%.

Regards,
    Tim

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Not sure if you have been properly recognized thead but well done on the diagnosis. Fields should have read this forum before heading off to new york for a second opinion. This has been mentioned a couple of other places in the Republic and I think it speaks to how well some of the posters here know the game. Well done
    Seriously.

Good call, thead/Tim.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

*applause*

this thread is the only thing that made me believe in Landry's excuse about his jump shot. Well done!

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As big of a disappointment that Fields has been, I would take him and his contract any day of the week over Beasley:

Shaun Powell ‏@Powell2daPeople

Suns source: Michael Beasley is "toxic," team in tailspin, could lead to major shakeup.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know it's time to change the mold. Getting these great character guys haven't been working this franchise. Every team needs an asshole.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information