Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is over paying players strategy or stupidity?

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    How will Brooklyn be able to sign any free agents to big money contracts, given that they're well over the cap? Under the new CBA, they won't even be able to S&T for such players. I think Brooklyn is going to underachieve and then be stuck with some bad contracts for older players, at least for a couple seasons.

They've got $60M+ tied up in 4 players for the next 4 years ($60.4M / $64.8M / $65.7M / $72.7M): DWill (28), JJ (29), Wallace (30) and Lopez (24) (plus Humphries at $12M more for the next 2 years). They won't be signing anybody new and won't be S&T'ing for any big players, unless one of these 5 players is going the other way... and good luck finding a taker for Humphries or Lopez!
    Oh I really hope this does blow up in their faces and also think this season they will under acheive, but my understanding was that as long as they are willing to keep paying luxury taxes they can continue to sign free agents as they please since there is no hard cap in place.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope, I believe they've got their mini mid-level exception ($3 million), and league minimum contracts, and that's it.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Which will make teams that WILL overpay THAT much more attractive for free agents (Lakers)
    Not really -way over the cap.
    With regards to "overspending" by Lakers, Knicks, Nets -That is only a handfull of teams because of their ridiculous cable deal. Most of the other owners (even of the competative teams -Eg Bulls, Mavs) are much more prudent.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    I don't think the Nets' owner is concerned about paying taxes.

Owner to GM: "Here's money. Get me wins. Or you die"
    1. Not for a year or 2. Then who knows. Novelty, new toy no results???
    2. Prokorov does not strike me as a most patient nor understanding owner. You also have a "strong willed" coach who likes D.
    It could get interesting & ugly.
    Another factor: Nets won 33% of their games last year. Add JJ (with an hugely overpriced contract), Generous long term deals for Lopez, Hump & Wallace, loss of some already thin bench. What do you get? 45 win team??
    MJ in his prime might be able to push 22 win team to 45 wins. But JJ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information