Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is over paying players strategy or stupidity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    When the New Jersey Nets gave Brook Lopez a max contract earlier this summer the thought that first came to my mind was, "what were they thinking"?
    I was surprised at the Nets giving the max to Brook Lopez and a 2 year, 24 millions contract to Kris Hunphries. That;s a lot if money tied up to two very bad PnR defenders and bad defenders in general.

It will be interesting to see how the Nets defensive scheme change throughout the season. They do have two big wings - Gerald Wallace and Joe Johnson - who can defend and are considered smart players. I am not sure anyone can cover for two slow footed big men who are also hesitant at rotating.

Comment

I don't think the Nets' owner is concerned about paying taxes.

Owner to GM: "Here's money. Get me wins. Or you die"
      “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

It's possible that Brooklyn is simply banking on Lopez (who's finally healthy again) returning to his 2nd year form, which was basically 19 pts, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks per game. He may not be Dwight Howard dominant, but those are some pretty solid numbers.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          It's possible that Brooklyn is simply banking on Lopez (who's finally healthy again) returning to his 2nd year form, which was basically 19 pts, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks per game. He may not be Dwight Howard dominant, but those are some pretty solid numbers.
          That might be the case, but keep in mind they also have given a max contract out to D. Will and Joe Johnson is also on a max. contract. By giving one to Lopez as well they are making it public that they have no problem with paying anyone of interest to them and salary caps or luxury taxes are not a concern to them. That's got to be attractive to guys like Josh Smith whom are hitting the market this summer. You could very well see a starting line up where each player is on a max. contract in the next few years.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            That might be the case, but keep in mind they also have given a max contract out to D. Will and Joe Johnson is also on a max. contract. By giving one to Lopez as well they are making it public that they have no problem with paying anyone of interest to them and salary caps or luxury taxes are not a concern to them. That's got to be attractive to guys like Josh Smith whom are hitting the market this summer. You could very well see a starting line up where each player is on a max. contract in the next few years.
            How will Brooklyn be able to sign any free agents to big money contracts, given that they're well over the cap? Under the new CBA, they won't even be able to S&T for such players. I think Brooklyn is going to underachieve and then be stuck with some bad contracts for older players, at least for a couple seasons.

They've got $60M+ tied up in 4 players for the next 4 years ($60.4M / $64.8M / $65.7M / $72.7M): DWill (28), JJ (29), Wallace (30) and Lopez (24) (plus Humphries at $12M more for the next 2 years). They won't be signing anybody new and won't be S&T'ing for any big players, unless one of these 5 players is going the other way... and good luck finding a taker for Humphries or Lopez!
            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Oct 29, 2012, 01:01 PM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              How will Brooklyn be able to sign any free agents to big money contracts, given that they're well over the cap? Under the new CBA, they won't even be able to S&T for such players. I think Brooklyn is going to underachieve and then be stuck with some bad contracts for older players, at least for a couple seasons.

They've got $60M+ tied up in 4 players for the next 4 years ($60.4M / $64.8M / $65.7M / $72.7M): DWill (28), JJ (29), Wallace (30) and Lopez (24) (plus Humphries at $12M more for the next 2 years). They won't be signing anybody new and won't be S&T'ing for any big players, unless one of these 5 players is going the other way... and good luck finding a taker for Humphries or Lopez!
              Oh I really hope this does blow up in their faces and also think this season they will under acheive, but my understanding was that as long as they are willing to keep paying luxury taxes they can continue to sign free agents as they please since there is no hard cap in place.

Comment

Nope, I believe they've got their mini mid-level exception ($3 million), and league minimum contracts, and that's it.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                  Which will make teams that WILL overpay THAT much more attractive for free agents (Lakers)
                  Not really -way over the cap.
                  With regards to "overspending" by Lakers, Knicks, Nets -That is only a handfull of teams because of their ridiculous cable deal. Most of the other owners (even of the competative teams -Eg Bulls, Mavs) are much more prudent.

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                    I don't think the Nets' owner is concerned about paying taxes.

Owner to GM: "Here's money. Get me wins. Or you die"
                    1. Not for a year or 2. Then who knows. Novelty, new toy no results???
                    2. Prokorov does not strike me as a most patient nor understanding owner. You also have a "strong willed" coach who likes D.
                    It could get interesting & ugly.
                    Another factor: Nets won 33% of their games last year. Add JJ (with an hugely overpriced contract), Generous long term deals for Lopez, Hump & Wallace, loss of some already thin bench. What do you get? 45 win team??
                    MJ in his prime might be able to push 22 win team to 45 wins. But JJ?

Comment

Working...
                    X