Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does the Harden trade make Gay more getable?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does the Harden trade make Gay more getable?

Getable is a word i made up!

anyways, i was thinking, and you know Memphis has to be looking at their roster and their future now especially and wondering if they should trade Gay (most logical piece/contract to trade) now rather than later?
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie Tortacular's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean it's possible, but it's just as possible they would want to move Randolph who is older and coming off injuries and a down season.

I'm not sure that the Raptors would want to pony up for Gay, but I wouldn't have an issue with it as long as they don't deal Lowry or Big V.
    You can find me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The word you're looking for is "attainable"
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Post Thanks / Like

Frankly I prefer getable

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

'Gettable' is a word.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Mephis wants to break up a winning team yet. That's not to say that they will not entertain trades but if they make a trade, I think it'll be for the present not the future.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Superstar Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Only if Derozan and Ed Davis do well this season, then chances do increase.

But the way you wrote it, its best to ask Michael Beasley.

Last edited by Hotshot; Tue Oct 30th, 2012 at 02:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Memphis has new ownership led by Pera but with backers like Justin Timberlake and Peyton Manning. Not sure money will be a reason anymore but we'll soon find out.

If Gay becomes available, I think it takes one more team out of the running for his services which is good. Unfortunately, Cleveland is still sitting on a mountain of cap space, expiring contracts, young players, draft picks, and a need for a SF.

So do I think Gay is more gettable? Nope.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Houston out of the running for Gay should he become available?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If Gay is "ungettable", I still like the idea of Wilson Chandler.

Maybe even Danny Granger, or Derrick Williams.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The previous Memphis owner, Michael Heisley, has a net worth of approximately 1.4 billion. I am not sure that the new ownership can match that in resources.

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Gay would be slightly more attainable but still see him being very difficult to obtain. Wilson Chandler is nice but I'm not as interested in him as I would be in Gay or Granger. Derrick Williams could be interesting but only if the TWolves are just looking to dump him. Not sure I'd be willing to give up much for him at this point.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If Gay is not on the blocks, I'm still hoping for a Deng/Colangelo reunion.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    If Gay is not on the blocks, I'm still hoping for a Deng/Colangelo reunion.
    reunion?

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    reunion?
    Suns selected him , but traded him right away. Not much of a union in the first place.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Granger in my view is not a good choice....injury/knee issues. I hear he is out of the opener.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    The previous Memphis owner, Michael Heisley, has a net worth of approximately 1.4 billion. I am not sure that the new ownership can match that in resources.
    The previous owner made it clear that he was not in the business of paying luxury tax. The new owners have not made that declaration.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Memphis has new ownership led by Pera but with backers like Justin Timberlake and Peyton Manning. Not sure money will be a reason anymore but we'll soon find out.
    Money will be a reason for every team starting next season when the new luxury tax penalties kick in. Memphis is right at the luxury tax level. If they want to make any changes to their roster they need to free up cap space. The two obvious players to free up space are Randolph and Gay.

Gay may be gettable because nobody wants Randolph on his huge contract, and Memphis will need to shed salary somehow. Keep in mind, Gay will make $19.3M in 2014-15, which will probably make him one of the highest paid players in the league.

I'm not sure the Raptors have the best package though. We could offer either Derozan/Ross with Davis and Calderon. If they got Ross, Davis, and Calderon, it would save Memphis $12M next season. With Derozan, Davis, Calderon, it'd probably be closer to $6M in savings after they re-sign DeRozan.

Maybe if DeRozan made a big enough leap this season Memphis would rather have him at half the price of Gay. Still seems like other teams with draft picks could put together a more attractive package for a team looking to shed salary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Money will be a reason for every team starting next season when the new luxury tax penalties kick in. Memphis is right at the luxury tax level. If they want to make any changes to their roster they need to free up cap space. The two obvious players to free up space are Randolph and Gay.

Gay may be gettable because nobody wants Randolph on his huge contract, and Memphis will need to shed salary somehow. Keep in mind, Gay will make $19.3M in 2014-15, which will probably make him one of the highest paid players in the league.

I'm not sure the Raptors have the best package though. We could offer either Derozan/Ross with Davis and Calderon. If they got Ross, Davis, and Calderon, it would save Memphis $12M next season. With Derozan, Davis, Calderon, it'd probably be closer to $6M in savings after they re-sign DeRozan.

Maybe if DeRozan made a big enough leap this season Memphis would rather have him at half the price of Gay. Still seems like other teams with draft picks could put together a more attractive package for a team looking to shed salary.
    I'm well aware of Memphis' cap situation and I understand the reasons why he might be traded.

However, old ownership was dead set against going in to the luxury. Who is to say the new ownership takes the same stance? I've not yet read or heard anything to suggest that the views of Heisley are the views of the new ownership group.

If Heisley was still the owner, I'd say Gay was as good as gone sometime this year but Heisley is no the owner. Anything and everything about Gay being traded is pure, unfounded speculation. The situation in Memphis has changed.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets say we made a trade for Gay with Bargnani and someone else (like a Calderon for example), would you guys be okay with Amir/ED as our 4's?

I would be perfectly fine with Amir/ED/Acy as our 4's. It would be our weakest spot but the thought of a Lowry, Derozan, Gay, JV combo is tempting to say the least.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information