Tablet recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tablet recommendations

I'm considering purchasing a tablet for the first time this fall. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking a tablet would be great for before bed.. could also save a few trees by reading my magazines/paper online.

Don't need to many bells or whistles. I would just need it to surf the web, check emails, stream a few Raptors game, and use RR of course.

I always read the consumer reviews at futureshop.ca before I make a purchase. Sometimes reviews form mags are on American versions, which can have different features than the models selling in Canada.

Comment

I'm holding out for the Microsoft Surface Pro. Comes out in January, running Windows 8 but that also runs a FULL version of Windows as well; and you can use SD cards to expand the memory AND its got a couple USB 3.0 ports too.

Basically a Tablet and Laptop in one.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        I'm holding out for the Microsoft Surface Pro. Comes out in January, running Windows 8 but that also runs a FULL version of Windows as well; and you can use SD cards to expand the memory AND its got a couple USB 3.0 ports too.

Basically a Tablet and Laptop in one.
        Doesn't the Microsoft Surface tablet come with a keyboard? Not sure how I feel about that. Seems more like a thin laptop then a tablet. I may head into a Best Buy / Futureshop and browse around. Hopefully they'll have models on display that I can actually play with to see which one works best for me.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          Doesn't the Microsoft Surface tablet come with a keyboard? Not sure how I feel about that. Seems more like a thin laptop then a tablet. I may head into a Best Buy / Futureshop and browse around. Hopefully they'll have models on display that I can actually play with to see which one works best for me.
          The keyboard snaps on/off with Magnets. Don't even have to buy the keyboard if you don't want. I think the idea of having the Keyboard built into the Cover is brilliant.

The one thats out now doesn't run Full Windows 8 though.

They've been getting pretty fantastic reviews as well. Apparently the Hardware is second to none.
          Last edited by Joey; Tue Oct 30, 2012, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Cool! Sounds very promising.

I might just wait until Jan/Feb for the Surface Pro instead then. Thanks Joey!

Comment

the htc one is pretty nice too and same with samsung. You should be choosing between these 3 including the microsoft surface tablet

Comment

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df...face-rt-review

good review of the surface (big disappointment)
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

Thanks! I love these kinds of reviews.. but this review is for the RT not the Pro (which comes out early next year). Hopefully the Pro irons out the kinks from the RT. I'll wait until it gets released and then see what people say about it.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

Again, that is for the Windows RT model. BIG difference between that and the one coming out in January.

The main qualm with the RT version is the lack of Apps available upon Launch. With the Windows 8 Pro model, you will literally be able to install and use ANY application/software that you can currently install on your home computer.

That alone is incentive to purchase this over, say, an iPad.
                    On the iPad, you have your Apple Music, yes; but on the Surface Pro, you can have your FULL iTunes installed, with FULL library. Plug your iPhone/iPod into the Tablet to Sync, just as you would your PC.
                    Last edited by Joey; Wed Oct 31, 2012, 11:43 PM.

Comment

This is great.

Comment

I just bought an iPad mini ... still have full intentions of buying the Surface in January, but the Mini offered a different form factor that I could appreciate more than the full size iPad.

And I love it. Its awesome. Only just testing it out and seeing what I've got on my hands, but seriously, I've played with the Full size iPads, and I almost prefer this. So much easier to hold/type/use. I like the look of it better as well. Total came to $372. Very Happy camper.

ADD: doing this edit from the iPad. RR looks GREAT on here! The keyboard is the perfect size to type with your thumbs very comfortably. Something the full iPad can't say.
                        Would definitely recommend this thing to anyone not willing to spend $600 on a full iPad.

ADD2: Annnd the video I posted above plays embedded in the message, exactly as it would on the PC. I guess they fixed the whole "no flash in Safari" thing.
                        Last edited by Joey; Fri Nov 16, 2012, 01:36 PM.

Comment

I'm leaning towards the Nexus 10. It came out on Google Play the other day, but am waiting for Best Buy to carry it so I can actually try it out. A friend of mine has the Nexus 7 and was really happy with it.. just a tad too small for my liking.

My wife has an iPhone and for some reason it bugs me.. can't really describe why. Plus the price point on the iPad is ridiculous.

Am a bit too impatient for the the Windows Pro which is still a few months away. Plus a new Microsoft OS always worries me.
                          Last edited by planetmars; Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:51 PM.

Comment

this seemed like the most fitting place for this..

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                              this seemed like the most fitting place for this..

Haha ya saw this. Silly Oprah.
                              The Surface is legit in my opinion. Didn't need to pay Oprah $5M to do this (just a guess on the amount, haha) from her iPad. Makes the Surface look inferior!
                              I have a feelig it'll gain traction though.

Comment

Working...
                              X