Who has the brightest future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I think the Thompson and Waiters picks were terrible.
    Agree 100%. I don't think anyone in their right minds would take Thompson/Waiters over Valanciunas/Lillard.

Comment

Toronto is looking good, but the sad thing is so are some of the other "bad" teams when we look to the future. I figure that the team with the best player is usually the team that has the best chances to contend.

So comparing teams, I would go with:

NO > Cleveland > Toronto

... and the other teams fall back.

Between the brow, Irving and JV - I think Davis has the best potential to be a top 10 guy. Since he's a big he'll have more of an overall impact than Irving. JV in my opinion would be ranked third.

Since NO and Cleveland both have flexibility and assets, I'd rank them higher than Toronto.

Comment

wanted to say raptors but voted cavs. waiters/kyrie/thompson/zeller and 3 first rounders in the next draft. that's future

thompson was a reach but they have kyrie, who else are they taking that high biyombo? thank fuck they didn't take jv and going to need to wait on the waiters pick

Comment

xunknownx wrote: View Post
          my vote is Toronto... you can also include detroit in the list w/ a young core of Knight, Monroe, Drummond
          I only wanted to do a top 8, but yes definitely - I should have chosen Detroit instead of Brooklyn in my list.

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
            Most people are going to say Raptors especially in the "Everything Raptors" section... should be in the NBA section
            I thought of that, but I wanted to see a discussion more with regards to how Toronto ranks with the other "bad" teams in the league.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
              Without being too nit picky, when we talk future is this a couple years out or a 5 year horizon?
              Was just looking at a 2-3 year time frame.

Comment

I voted for the Brooklyn Nets because they are the one team on the list that are not building through the draft. Barring injury they will be the best team from this list this season and for the forseeable future as well.

If I were to pick someone other than the Nets, I would go with New Orleans, as Anthony Davis has HOF potential, and there is some good talent around him.

Comment

I think Golden State, if healthy, is going to be very good for a long time. Bogut is one of the better centers out there and Curry is a very good young point guard. Add Barnes to the mix with his lofty projections and you have a team that could be dangerous for a long time.

In terms of potential, New Orleans looks a lot better this year and seem to have drafted very well. Given they still have their firsts for the next 2 years and some cap space, I'd say they have a very positive future.

Toronto and Charlotte could both be very good if their young big men perform like everyone hopes. Bismack has the potential to be a game changer on defense and combined with Walker and MKG will form a good core. The Raptors are at a similar place with Jonas, Lowry, and Bargs though I'd say the Raptors future looks brighter in both the long and short term.

I voted Raps. Optimism baby!
                  "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

If ever there was a thread to show how overly optimistic Raps fans are, this is it. I mean sure that's what you'd expect from a thread in a Raps fan forum, but still...

Personally I yook New Orleans. They already have a likely franchise guy in Davis (who could turn out to be a top-15 player pretty easilly), two young guys that are borderline all-stars right now in Anderson and Gordon, all their picks and a good prospect in Rivers, and they have flexibility. Dunno how anyone can argue the Raps trump that.

Comment

Waiters has taken a lot of flack because he was a reach at the #4 pick and shot inconsistently in preseason. He played a solid game when it counted in his first "official" game last night (17 points).

Comment

wanted to say raptors but voted cavs. waiters/kyrie/thompson/zeller and 3 first rounders in the next draft. that's future

thompson was a reach but they have kyrie, who else are they taking that high biyombo? thank fuck they didn't take jv and going to need to wait on the waiters pick

Comment

if new orleans had drafted anyone but rivers i would have picked them.

picked cleveland.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            if new orleans had drafted anyone but rivers i would have picked them.

picked cleveland.
                            +1

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Was just looking at a 2-3 year time frame.
                              Was kind of guessing that but wasn't sure.

If we are looking longer term (ie. 5 years) which is ofcourse subject to limitless random events:

1. GSW - a good combination of youth and experience. Still based on health though (Curry) and I'll admit thats a huge gamble given Curry's glass ankles. GM has shown a willingness to make hard choices and thats not a common thing. Good market.

2. Brooklyn - I'm contrarian on the new CBA and think it hurts the poor and small market teams much more than the rich big market teams. If the Prokhorov 'win at all costs' hype is real, they will be Dallas Maverick circa 2000 - 2010 lite.

3. NO - pretty much all wrapped up in Davis. Market is their biggest drag

4. Toronto - I had a tough time here, maybe because I know too much about Toronto compared to the rest. Alot of this is wrapped up in Val. But ownership/management is an enourmous drag - but don't need to be. Market is hit and miss because if Toronto is ever willing to spend (which they can) they shoot up, if they stay the same and cap themselves they head down. They won't attract FAs, but they have the capacity to spend which has its benifits when making trades. Colangelo I don't have much faith in and without writing a novel its because his 'confidence' in himself and his decisions supersedes his talent.

5. Cleveland - pretty much wrapped in Irving. But their market and terrible ownership/management to date is a huge problem.

6. Charlotte - I really like Cho, like his approach, but his drafting has been suspect. Everything Jordan touches since stepping off the court turns to crap. If he sticks to watching games and writing cheques they may be ok. Market an enourmous drag.

7. Sacramento - again alot of young talent. Market is a real tough spot. Maloofs are relative poverty compared to the league. Management just can't get things to click. Best thing that could happen to that team is it being sold.

8. David Stern's final act before stepping down should be to do the Wizards (and the NBA) a favor and remove Grunfeld from being involved in anything basketball. This guy eats, sleeps and breathes short term thinking and terrible contracts. Grunfeld makes Colangelo look like a Presti/Lyndsay/Johnny-five cyborg.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                                Was kind of guessing that but wasn't sure.

If we are looking longer term (ie. 5 years) which is ofcourse subject to limitless random events:

1. GSW - a good combination of youth and experience. Still based on health though (Curry) and I'll admit thats a huge gamble given Curry's glass ankles. GM has shown a willingness to make hard choices and thats not a common thing. Good market.

2. Brooklyn - I'm contrarian on the new CBA and think it hurts the poor and small market teams much more than the rich big market teams. If the Prokhorov 'win at all costs' hype is real, they will be Dallas Maverick circa 2000 - 2010 lite.

3. NO - pretty much all wrapped up in Davis. Market is their biggest drag

4. Toronto - I had a tough time here, maybe because I know too much about Toronto compared to the rest. Alot of this is wrapped up in Val. But ownership/management is an enourmous drag - but don't need to be. Market is hit and miss because if Toronto is ever willing to spend (which they can) they shoot up, if they stay the same and cap themselves they head down. They won't attract FAs, but they have the capacity to spend which has its benifits when making trades. Colangelo I don't have much faith in and without writing a novel its because his 'confidence' in himself and his decisions supersedes his talent.

5. Cleveland - pretty much wrapped in Irving. But their market and terrible ownership/management to date is a huge problem.

6. Charlotte - I really like Cho, like his approach, but his drafting has been suspect. Everything Jordan touches since stepping off the court turns to crap. If he sticks to watching games and writing cheques they may be ok. Market an enourmous drag.

7. Sacramento - again alot of young talent. Market is a real tough spot. Maloofs are relative poverty compared to the league. Management just can't get things to click. Best thing that could happen to that team is it being sold.

8. David Stern's final act before stepping down should be to do the Wizards (and the NBA) a favor and remove Grunfeld from being involved in anything basketball. This guy eats, sleeps and breathes short term thinking and terrible contracts. Grunfeld makes Colangelo look like a Presti/Lyndsay/Johnny-five cyborg.
                                I think that's a pretty fair assessment. I went with Toronto partly due to homerism and partly due to the fact that there is no clear-cut winner. Some teams have huge injury concerns, some teams have management/ownership concerns, some teams are seemingly going all-in with a single player and any of these teams could change significantly with a single move (ie: trade, free agent signing or lottery luck).

I'd actually rather see Detroit included in this discussion than Brooklyn, because I think Brooklyn has mortgaged their future (3-5 yrs) for a 'win now' approach with overpaid vets. Detroit better fits with the young rebuilding model of the other teams on this list. Orlando and Houston are two other teams that would fit into this conversation.

Comment

Working...
                                X