View Poll Results: Who has the brightest future?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charlotte Bobcats

0 0%
  • Washington Wizards

1 2.78%
  • Cleveland Cavaliers

9 25.00%
  • New Orlean Hornets

5 13.89%
  • Sacramento Kings

1 2.78%
  • Brooklyn Nets

2 5.56%
  • Golden State Warriors

3 8.33%
  • Toronto Raptors

15 41.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who has the brightest future?

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    Without being too nit picky, when we talk future is this a couple years out or a 5 year horizon?
    Was just looking at a 2-3 year time frame.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for the Brooklyn Nets because they are the one team on the list that are not building through the draft. Barring injury they will be the best team from this list this season and for the forseeable future as well.

If I were to pick someone other than the Nets, I would go with New Orleans, as Anthony Davis has HOF potential, and there is some good talent around him.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Golden State, if healthy, is going to be very good for a long time. Bogut is one of the better centers out there and Curry is a very good young point guard. Add Barnes to the mix with his lofty projections and you have a team that could be dangerous for a long time.

In terms of potential, New Orleans looks a lot better this year and seem to have drafted very well. Given they still have their firsts for the next 2 years and some cap space, I'd say they have a very positive future.

Toronto and Charlotte could both be very good if their young big men perform like everyone hopes. Bismack has the potential to be a game changer on defense and combined with Walker and MKG will form a good core. The Raptors are at a similar place with Jonas, Lowry, and Bargs though I'd say the Raptors future looks brighter in both the long and short term.

I voted Raps. Optimism baby!
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

If ever there was a thread to show how overly optimistic Raps fans are, this is it. I mean sure that's what you'd expect from a thread in a Raps fan forum, but still...

Personally I yook New Orleans. They already have a likely franchise guy in Davis (who could turn out to be a top-15 player pretty easilly), two young guys that are borderline all-stars right now in Anderson and Gordon, all their picks and a good prospect in Rivers, and they have flexibility. Dunno how anyone can argue the Raps trump that.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Waiters has taken a lot of flack because he was a reach at the #4 pick and shot inconsistently in preseason. He played a solid game when it counted in his first "official" game last night (17 points).

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

wanted to say raptors but voted cavs. waiters/kyrie/thompson/zeller and 3 first rounders in the next draft. that's future

thompson was a reach but they have kyrie, who else are they taking that high biyombo? thank fuck they didn't take jv and going to need to wait on the waiters pick

Post Thanks / Like

if new orleans had drafted anyone but rivers i would have picked them.

picked cleveland.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    if new orleans had drafted anyone but rivers i would have picked them.

picked cleveland.
    +1

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Was just looking at a 2-3 year time frame.
    Was kind of guessing that but wasn't sure.

If we are looking longer term (ie. 5 years) which is ofcourse subject to limitless random events:

1. GSW - a good combination of youth and experience. Still based on health though (Curry) and I'll admit thats a huge gamble given Curry's glass ankles. GM has shown a willingness to make hard choices and thats not a common thing. Good market.

2. Brooklyn - I'm contrarian on the new CBA and think it hurts the poor and small market teams much more than the rich big market teams. If the Prokhorov 'win at all costs' hype is real, they will be Dallas Maverick circa 2000 - 2010 lite.

3. NO - pretty much all wrapped up in Davis. Market is their biggest drag

4. Toronto - I had a tough time here, maybe because I know too much about Toronto compared to the rest. Alot of this is wrapped up in Val. But ownership/management is an enourmous drag - but don't need to be. Market is hit and miss because if Toronto is ever willing to spend (which they can) they shoot up, if they stay the same and cap themselves they head down. They won't attract FAs, but they have the capacity to spend which has its benifits when making trades. Colangelo I don't have much faith in and without writing a novel its because his 'confidence' in himself and his decisions supersedes his talent.

5. Cleveland - pretty much wrapped in Irving. But their market and terrible ownership/management to date is a huge problem.

6. Charlotte - I really like Cho, like his approach, but his drafting has been suspect. Everything Jordan touches since stepping off the court turns to crap. If he sticks to watching games and writing cheques they may be ok. Market an enourmous drag.

7. Sacramento - again alot of young talent. Market is a real tough spot. Maloofs are relative poverty compared to the league. Management just can't get things to click. Best thing that could happen to that team is it being sold.

8. David Stern's final act before stepping down should be to do the Wizards (and the NBA) a favor and remove Grunfeld from being involved in anything basketball. This guy eats, sleeps and breathes short term thinking and terrible contracts. Grunfeld makes Colangelo look like a Presti/Lyndsay/Johnny-five cyborg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    Was kind of guessing that but wasn't sure.

If we are looking longer term (ie. 5 years) which is ofcourse subject to limitless random events:

1. GSW - a good combination of youth and experience. Still based on health though (Curry) and I'll admit thats a huge gamble given Curry's glass ankles. GM has shown a willingness to make hard choices and thats not a common thing. Good market.

2. Brooklyn - I'm contrarian on the new CBA and think it hurts the poor and small market teams much more than the rich big market teams. If the Prokhorov 'win at all costs' hype is real, they will be Dallas Maverick circa 2000 - 2010 lite.

3. NO - pretty much all wrapped up in Davis. Market is their biggest drag

4. Toronto - I had a tough time here, maybe because I know too much about Toronto compared to the rest. Alot of this is wrapped up in Val. But ownership/management is an enourmous drag - but don't need to be. Market is hit and miss because if Toronto is ever willing to spend (which they can) they shoot up, if they stay the same and cap themselves they head down. They won't attract FAs, but they have the capacity to spend which has its benifits when making trades. Colangelo I don't have much faith in and without writing a novel its because his 'confidence' in himself and his decisions supersedes his talent.

5. Cleveland - pretty much wrapped in Irving. But their market and terrible ownership/management to date is a huge problem.

6. Charlotte - I really like Cho, like his approach, but his drafting has been suspect. Everything Jordan touches since stepping off the court turns to crap. If he sticks to watching games and writing cheques they may be ok. Market an enourmous drag.

7. Sacramento - again alot of young talent. Market is a real tough spot. Maloofs are relative poverty compared to the league. Management just can't get things to click. Best thing that could happen to that team is it being sold.

8. David Stern's final act before stepping down should be to do the Wizards (and the NBA) a favor and remove Grunfeld from being involved in anything basketball. This guy eats, sleeps and breathes short term thinking and terrible contracts. Grunfeld makes Colangelo look like a Presti/Lyndsay/Johnny-five cyborg.
    I think that's a pretty fair assessment. I went with Toronto partly due to homerism and partly due to the fact that there is no clear-cut winner. Some teams have huge injury concerns, some teams have management/ownership concerns, some teams are seemingly going all-in with a single player and any of these teams could change significantly with a single move (ie: trade, free agent signing or lottery luck).

I'd actually rather see Detroit included in this discussion than Brooklyn, because I think Brooklyn has mortgaged their future (3-5 yrs) for a 'win now' approach with overpaid vets. Detroit better fits with the young rebuilding model of the other teams on this list. Orlando and Houston are two other teams that would fit into this conversation.

Post Thanks / Like

id put brooklyn at the bottom. they just traded for a 100 mill guy to be their #2 and have no bench outside of Marshon.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Since I think Irving is a franchise PG, I have to go with Cleveland. Ownership isn't a big concern to me cause they've been willing to spend huge dollars in the past when a chance presented itself.

Have to see Davis play more before NO goes ahead of Cleveland. If he's a franchise guy, it's close.

Everyone else is a level or two back except for Brooklyn, which shouldn't be on this list.

Post Thanks / Like

id put brooklyn at the bottom. they just traded for a 100 mill guy to be their #2 and have no bench outside of Marshon.
    But will any of the teams on the list be better than Brooklyn this season or the next?

Post Thanks / Like

probably not but the thread is about brightest future
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the idea of a deep team is a bit overrated. Definetely an asset in regular season, but becomes an inefficient use of $ in the playoffs.

Boston and Miami had terribles benches last year and competed in the east finals. Chicago had a very deep team and it did nothing for them when Rose went down in the first round.

A good bench helps you maintain for short periods during a game, and is injury insurance during the season. But its still the stars that put you over the top.

In an ideal world you would have your big money tied up in your starters, with a cheap underpayed bench. But I'd rather have those big money starters first (assuming they are productive ofcourse), bench second.

Post Thanks / Like

probably not but the thread is about brightest future
    I would say the next couple of years would qualify as the future and Brooklyn looks poised to do the most damage. Going forward even further I don't think things are as bleak as many people think it will be for Brooklyn. Just look how difficult it was for Houston to get a star player like Bosh, Gasol, D. Howard and they ended up with Lin and Harden. Just acquiring the star level talent alone is half the battle of trying to win a championship and Brooklyn has two All Stars. It would take both those guys turning into a Gilbert Arenas scenario for it to blow up in their face and I don't think that is gonna happen.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric Gordon is out indefinitely with more knee troubles. He just signed a huge contract with the Hornets in July.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    3. Cleveland - Irving is an All-Star. I think what could have been with them if they took JV and Barnes vs. Thompson and Waiters. Lots of picks and cap space moving forward. Scott is also a good coach.
    I much prefer Waiters over Barnes. Waiters has the potential to be above average in all facets of the game except maybe defending bigger guards who post him up. I believe the fact he does not do any one thing really well makes it east to forget how many things in which he shows potential.

As to the JV and TT comparison, I too would prefer JV but maybe not for the usual reasons. I believe TT ceiling is higher but that JV is more likely to be a very good player. TT is very raw still and it's yet unclear he will be able to reach close to his potential. I would not be surprised if he becomes a 17 PPG, 10 RPG player with excellent defense nor if he becomes a 12 PPG, 8 RPG with very good defense. The former is Otis Thorpe with better defense, the latter is good but nothing special.

As to Kyrie, he's a fantastic player on the offensive side of the court and he even tried to play defense last night. Hopefully that will last.

Post Thanks / Like

i see Brooklyn as Atlanta 2.0. if you're interested in making the playoffs then yeah they'll be good i guess.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Eric Gordon is out indefinitely with more knee troubles. He just signed a huge contract with the Hornets in July.
    I'm soooooo glad I didn't protect him in my keeper league...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Thread Information