Is Derozan contract that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Had DeRozan not been extended by Oct.31, he would have become a Restricted Free Agent in the offseason, not an Unrestricted Free Agent. The Raptors would have had a $4.5M cap hold, would have been able to match any offer DeRozan received from other teams and would still maintain his 'Bird rights'. The Oct.31 deadline wasn't the deadline to sign/renounce expiring contracts, it was just the in-season deadline to extend players specifically from the '09 draft class.
    A $4.5M qualifying offer.

An $8.4M cap hold.

Comment

• Whoops. Joey and planetmars both beat me to it. Hopefully the point is hammered home 3-fold now.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        A $4.5M qualifying offer.

An $8.4M cap hold.
        Is what the number is? So I guess this is where Bryans point about the deal actually being more-or-less Cap Neutral, in terms of Flexibility this off-season.
        We essentially lose $1M of Flex-room this summer. Big deal.

Comment

• http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...demar-derozan/

Uhm, shouldnt DC be thinking that the money SHOULD change him and make him strive harder to get his numbers up, defend better? Coz if Demar thinks he's worth $10mil right now, then we're in deep shit.

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
            http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...demar-derozan/

Uhm, shouldnt DC be thinking that the money SHOULD change him and make him strive harder to get his numbers up, defend better? Coz if Demar thinks he's worth $10mil right now, then we're in deep shit.
            He's probably talking about DeRozan's work ethic not changing (compared to many players in the past who scored the big paycheque, and loafed the rest of their career....e.g. Turkoglu).

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              I think the $4.5M was just his QO. The cap hold would be 250% of this years salary ($3.3M), so about $8.25M. However the cap hold would go away if DeMar signed elsewhere or if we renounced it and he became a UFA.
              Oops, yes you're absolutely right, I did mean a $4.5M QO, which could still be extended after the season. Thanks for correcting me!

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                He's probably talking about DeRozan's work ethic not changing (compared to many players in the past who scored the big paycheque, and loafed the rest of their career....e.g. Turkoglu).
                hehehe i know, im starting up discussions on the other side of the spectrum, hehe

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  Is what the number is? So I guess this is where Bryans point about the deal actually being more-or-less Cap Neutral, in terms of Flexibility this off-season.

I agree it is no big deal as respect to the Flex-room.

I am just not sold on DeMar being good enough to be a mediocre starter in this league and yet, he will be paid like a above average quality starter. It's a bad risk, and one I deemed unnecessary at this time because the Raptors could always match any offer next Summer if they did not agree on terms before the free-agency period.

(And considering DeMar wanting to stay in Toronto, he might have accepted a little less than what other teams offered to play in Toronto /SARCASM=OFF)

I am less optimistic about Toronto being relevant in the next 3-4 years after the Fields and DeRozan signings. I will continue to cheer for the Raptors and hope the players will prove me wrong.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    It is a big deal when you look at opportunities of free agency, sign and trade, and (the most important issue, in my opinion) the possibility of no improvement in DeRozan's game. Also, in keeping assets, the Raps have taken a $3.3M expiring contract with restricted free agent rights and transformed it in to a 4 year, $38M contract for an ineffective and one-dimensional player.

The Raps have willingly handcuffed their flexibility moving forward.

I am not hating on DeRozan. If this contract was signed next summer after all other possibilities explored or if it was matched from another team, I could live with it. But signing it now was a HUUUUUUGE and unnecessary risk to the team moving forward. I do hope it all works out and DeRozan puts it together. I do hope it turns in to another Bargnani situation where his contract becomes reasonable. I am not hopeful or optimistic though - but do hope to be proven incorrect in my assumptions.

Comment

• I assume this cap hold would go away if someone else signed him to an offer sheet and we didn't match, correct? Then my original statement still holds true. I was really hoping DeRozan would be on another team next season.

I think in BDL's Raptors preview they talked about this potential mess during the 2013 offseason, in that DeRozan plays much better this season and then we are stuck with the decision of whether to pay him 9-10M. Instead, Colangelo did it before he even had a chance to prove/disprove his doubters. Absolutely ridiculous move here. Just terrible.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                        I assume this cap hold would go away if someone else signed him to an offer sheet and we didn't match, correct? Then my original statement still holds true. I was really hoping DeRozan would be on another team next season.

I think in BDL's Raptors preview they talked about this potential mess during the 2013 offseason, in that DeRozan plays much better this season and then we are stuck with the decision of whether to pay him 9-10M. Instead, Colangelo did it before he even had a chance to prove/disprove his doubters. Absolutely ridiculous move here. Just terrible.
                        +1

Comment

• Let's go through the teams around the league to see how DeRozan would fit. The criteria is that they can't have anyone better than him already and signing him to a contract of this size has to be in the realm of possibility.

Boston: You can argue that DeRozan might start for them at this weird time (end of the Ray Allen era) but (a) they have Jason Terry off the bench, (b) they have Courtney Lee, who is much cheaper (c) they have Avery Bradley, currently injured. DeRozan is not much of an improvement over Lee, who costs 1/3rd of the price. So No.

Brooklyn: $800 billion dollars in Joe Johnson. No.

New York Knicks: I think DeRozan could probably do something here, but it's a weird situation in that who they have now (JR Smith) isn't exactly a good match for their franchise cornerstone in Carmelo. Shumpert is a nearly perfect match but won't be around for months. Having already used the amnesty, they couldn't really sign him, though, certainly not for $10 million. So No.

Philadelphia: Jason Richardson is old, Evan Turner is not, and Nick Young is off the bench. I don't think they could afford this contract but since their stable of SG is relatively weak, I'll say Yes.

Chicago: Rip Hamilton. Chicago will be looking for a SG this summer but they'll be capped out until 2014. No.

Cleveland:Just drafted Dion Waiters. No.

Detroit:A possibility. He's at least better than Stuckey, I think. Yes.

Indiana: Paul George. No.

Milwaukee: Monta Ellis, and they just refused to give this contract to Brandon Jennings, so No.

Atlanta:They'll have a boatload of money so there's a possibility here. DeRozan along with Lou Williams and Jeff Teague make a decent backcourt. Also they probably will have trouble finding anyone to take that money they'll have. So Yes.

Charlotte: It's Michael Jordan, so Yes.

Miami: No.

Orlando: No point with Afflalo. No.

Dallas: I like Mayo better than DeRozan, and he's making half as much. No.

Houston: Just got Harden so No.

Memphis: Capped out and they've seen perfectly fine playing a cheap defensive guard at the 2 for the last few years, even to the point of shunting Mayo off to the bench. No.

New Orleans: Austin Rivers. No.

San Antonio: Popovich would have to have a stroke, forget who he is and what he believes in to sign a guy like DeRozan. No.

Denver: They have like 7000 guards. No.

Minnesota: A possibility. Yes.

OKC: See Popovich. No.

Portland: Wesley Matthews is a disappointing player that is still better than DeRozan. No.

Utah: They'll be far under the cap. Yes.

Golden State: They apparently love Klay Thompson. No.

Clippers: Capped out. No.

Lakers: lol No.

Suns: They might have some cap space and they're really bad. Yes.

Sacramento: Tyreke + cheap owners = No.

Final Tally:

7 out of 29 teams have "Targeting DeMar DeRozan" anywhere in the realm of possibility this summer; of those, 3 are based on the insanity of their front offices. So really there are realistically 4 teams that will be "fighting" to get DeRozan signed. Colangelo signed DeRozan to an insane undeserved contract to avoid these teams from "stealing" DeRozan.

(Sorry for the length of this post).
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

• I think this contract made me go over to the dark side.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                              Let's go through the teams around the league to see how DeRozan would fit. The criteria is that they can't have anyone better than him already and signing him to a contract of this size has to be in the realm of possibility.

Boston: You can argue that DeRozan might start for them at this weird time (end of the Ray Allen era) but (a) they have Jason Terry off the bench, (b) they have Courtney Lee, who is much cheaper (c) they have Avery Bradley, currently injured. DeRozan is not much of an improvement over Lee, who costs 1/3rd of the price. So No.

Brooklyn: $800 billion dollars in Joe Johnson. No.

New York Knicks: I think DeRozan could probably do something here, but it's a weird situation in that who they have now (JR Smith) isn't exactly a good match for their franchise cornerstone in Carmelo. Shumpert is a nearly perfect match but won't be around for months. Having already used the amnesty, they couldn't really sign him, though, certainly not for $10 million. So No.

Philadelphia: Jason Richardson is old, Evan Turner is not, and Nick Young is off the bench. I don't think they could afford this contract but since their stable of SG is relatively weak, I'll say Yes.

Chicago: Rip Hamilton. Chicago will be looking for a SG this summer but they'll be capped out until 2014. No.

Cleveland:Just drafted Dion Waiters. No.

Detroit:A possibility. He's at least better than Stuckey, I think. Yes.

Indiana: Paul George. No.

Milwaukee: Monta Ellis, and they just refused to give this contract to Brandon Jennings, so No.

Atlanta:They'll have a boatload of money so there's a possibility here. DeRozan along with Lou Williams and Jeff Teague make a decent backcourt. Also they probably will have trouble finding anyone to take that money they'll have. So Yes.

Charlotte: It's Michael Jordan, so Yes.

Miami: No.

Orlando: No point with Afflalo. No.

Dallas: I like Mayo better than DeRozan, and he's making half as much. No.

Houston: Just got Harden so No.

Memphis: Capped out and they've seen perfectly fine playing a cheap defensive guard at the 2 for the last few years, even to the point of shunting Mayo off to the bench. No.

New Orleans: Austin Rivers. No.

San Antonio: Popovich would have to have a stroke, forget who he is and what he believes in to sign a guy like DeRozan. No.

Denver: They have like 7000 guards. No.

Minnesota: A possibility. Yes.

OKC: See Popovich. No.

Portland: Wesley Matthews is a disappointing player that is still better than DeRozan. No.

Utah: They'll be far under the cap. Yes.

Golden State: They apparently love Klay Thompson. No.

Clippers: Capped out. No.

Lakers: lol No.

Suns: They might have some cap space and they're really bad. Yes.

Sacramento: Tyreke + cheap owners = No.

Final Tally:

7 out of 29 teams have "Targeting DeMar DeRozan" anywhere in the realm of possibility this summer; of those, 3 are based on the insanity of their front offices. So really there are realistically 4 teams that will be "fighting" to get DeRozan signed. Colangelo signed DeRozan to an insane undeserved contract to avoid these teams from "stealing" DeRozan.

(Sorry for the length of this post).
                              so its settled then, derozan and calderon's expiring for josh smith!!

Comment

• akashsingh wrote: View Post
                                so its settled then, derozan and calderon's expiring for josh smith!!
                                We'd still have a gaping hole at SF (I see Smith as a stretch 4).

Comment

Working...
                                X