Is Derozan contract that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    I think this might be a mistake. This extension kind of makes the Ross pick look bad, or vice versa.
    +1

My only hope is a trade will happen before the deadline.

Comment

• All about retaining assets ... Especially with a difficulty in attracting free agents.

Pieces for trade ... or maybe he stays and averages 18-19 points a game.

As for the TRoss pick ... you need like 4-5 wings in your rotation
      The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

• omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
        i think this might be a mistake. This extension kind of makes the ross pick look bad, or vice versa.
        ex-freakin'-actly!!

Comment

• Its not that its such a bad deal .. market for what hes done so far / his potential is maybe $7-$8 mm .. (the Fields deal is WAY more of an overpay) ... but I just dont get the timing at this price.
          If you can lock him up "cheap" .. then sure, do it now. But, I dont know how anyone could think this is cheap? Even if hes a TOTAL STUD this year, what the most he would get in the market .. maybe $12 mm / year (and Im talking if he TOTALLY exceeds expectations). Given that, why not wait it out .. see if he actually develops a post game (he wasnt in the post last night .. although Indiana is a tall/long team) .. and then go from there? Confusing to me ..

Comment

• Hey, is this official? There is nothing on Raptors.com? Did the extension really get signed?

Comment

• A lot of it comes down to perception though. Chicago fans would look at it as:

"Wow, Taj got a lot but we win 55+ games per year so whatever it takes to maintain that we should do it."

Toronto fans look at our "hopeful" 8th seed and losing records year after year and think "WTF? $9m for a shooting guard who can't pass, defend or create his own shot?"
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
                Hey, is this official? There is nothing on Raptors.com? Did the extension really get signed?
                I see the announcement here:
                http://blog.raptors.com/press-releas...act-extension/

Comment

• I like DD, and think he's one of those rare players that will continue to improve beyond the first 4 - 5 years of his career because of his gym rat habits, and though I'm not thrilled with how much they gave him you have to consider all the other players from his draft class are getting extended and for around the same range. I beleive DD's is on the low end of what other lottery picks in his draft class are getting. There had to be some pressure to get a deal done now and in the range of his peers.

But what does this mean for Ross? He was a lottery pick as well, plays the same position, and though he isn't looking like he's NBA ready he should be starting next season. As OMG said, it just makes the pick look bad.

Comment

• Unless the plan is to re-invent DD as a SF

Comment

• Well, the story continues. Why did I say that I expect more of the same from Colangelo? Because it's still the same guy. He overbid against himself. Again.

DeRozan, who is at least right now in the bottom 50% of NBA starting guards, was just given a 4 year/$40 million extension.

If you go by PER, DeRozan is #43 at the SG position, which is where he's played for most of his career. That's okay, though, I'm willing to cede 26 spots and say he's #16. I can't imagine anyone would rank him higher. Could he be better some day? Absolutely. And now he has to be.

Colangelo needs someone to step in here. Overpaying your own guys didn't work before, it won't work again except by complete luck. This is a terrible move in rewarding a limited player who needs to improve fundamental parts of his game... at a position that in the NBA is easily filled (re: Landry Fields).

What are the NBA player comparisons to DeRozan? I'm going to say it's DeShawn Stephenson on the low end, Rip Hamilton on the high end. Rip was given a contract equivalent to this when he was already fully developed -- and everyone mocked it and talked about how bad it was.

Colangelo fell ass backwards into Landry Fields, and now he's just "locked in" the second worst starter on this team. I'm baffled.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

• Well, it's a lot of dough and a large commitment locking him up for the next 4 years (5 including this year). The weird thing is, DeRozan may have put more pressure on himself having signed this deal rather than waiting until the end of the season because now he HAS to justify BryCo's love and his value to the fans. There's still glaring holes in his game that he needs to rectify (defense, ball handling, offensive efficiency) and if he doesn't show steady improvement quickly, well, he's going to get it from the fans big time!

Comment

• WTF at the derozan hate

did you all not watch any of the past two seasons with him averaging 16, 17 pts a game?

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
                            WTF at the derozan hate

did you all not watch any of the past two seasons with him averaging 16, 17 pts a game?
                            If inefficient scoring and little else for a player you could have matched any contract for in July is your thing, then yeah, great signing.

Comment

• Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                              All about retaining assets ... Especially with a difficulty in attracting free agents.

Pieces for trade ... or maybe he stays and averages 18-19 points a game.

As for the TRoss pick ... you need like 4-5 wings in your rotation
                              +1

A voice of reason.

Comment

• Something tells me that Bryan was fearing a Joe Johnson situation with DeMar. Joe left Phoenix to sign with Atlanta, and became a perennial all-star. Bryan probably fears the same with DeMar.

If you actually look at Joe's stats in Phoenix they were not that great.. very similar to DeMar's in Toronto. Joe played a tonne of minutes, had a worse PER than DeMar and didn't do anything but try to score.

Comment

Working...
                                X