Is Derozan contract that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Could it possibly have something to do with the other members of his draft class all seeming to get extensions recently? Did they not want to risk DD being disgruntled by the fact that Lawson, Curry, etc. are all being extended and he was not?
    The cynic in me says "who cares? he's not good enough to worry about that sorta thinking". Plus, BC could have made an unofficial verbal commitment to his agent, asking him to wait until the offseason to make it official, to give the Raptors as many options and as much financial flexibility next offseason as possible (ie: DeRozan's $4.5M cap hold VS his $9.5M salary = $5M less cap space to work with). That appraoch would give BC more options to build the best possible team, with the intention of DeRozan being a key part of that team. I just don't get the timing or the amount, for a guy who I don't think is worth more than $6-7M per season at this point in his career. That's a lot of money and a lot of lost opportunities, based on potential.

Comment

• I have settled down some after the combo hit of last night but I do believe BC has moved off my favored list of defendable sports execs. There seems to be not very much for quite awhile (JV excepted and that was pure draft circumstance) where I can point and declare "now that was a boffo move...outside the box, inventive, great trade on talent, financially sound etc.

Having said this I think most can agree that the optimum number would have been around 7 mill. per. These are approx Wilson Chandler numbers and someone I would exchange for DD in a nanosec...more heartburn! So it seems we have overpaid again all the accolades aside. The question is, will the xtra 2-3 mill per yr. be a detriment going forward?

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        The cynic in me says "who cares? he's not good enough to worry about that sorta thinking". Plus, BC could have made an unofficial verbal commitment to his agent, asking him to wait until the offseason to make it official, to give the Raptors as many options and as much financial flexibility next offseason as possible (ie: DeRozan's $4.5M cap hold VS his $9.5M salary = $5M less cap space to work with). That appraoch would give BC more options to build the best possible team, with the intention of DeRozan being a key part of that team. I just don't get the timing or the amount, for a guy who I don't think is worth more than $6-7M per season at this point in his career. That's a lot of money and a lot of lost opportunities, based on potential.
        It doesn't make sense. But my theory is two-fold:

1) He ran into a similar situation with Joe Johnson.. who had a fairly meek 3 years in Phoenix, and decided to see what he does in his 4th year. He excelled, and Atlanta swooped him for a ridiculous contract that Phoenix couldn't match. Colangelo could be trying to avoid the next Joe Johnson situation with DeMar this time around. DeMar has regressed in his 3 years, Joe didn't.. and it will be very difficult for DeMar to come anywhere close to Joe's numbers in his 4th year.. so if this was a worry for Colangelo then he's off his rocker.

2) He doesn't want a disgruntled member of his team's core without a contract. If one of your 'core' guys is playing without a contract, he may sulk and could become cancerous. Of course you can easily rebut this by saying that DeMar hasn't done enough to prove he's worthy of a contract extension, and if he sulks that's a sign that he has character issues and shouldn't be resigned anyway.

... can't honestly think of any other reason why he would have offered him a contract now. It's kind of mind boggling actually.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
          Not that I am defending this contract or suggesting that DeMar is the player the Raps need at his position, but out of the 15 starting wings in the Eastern Conference, how many meet those criteria? Eight? I think DeMar has some company playing the wing position and not being lock down or lights out.
          If you're good on defense, that allows to be a terrible shooter but still be useful. Or, if you're a great shooter, that excuses you if you're a pylon. If you're neither a great shooter or a great defender, then you'd better at least be competent at both.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• The contract is bad but Demar isn't(despite his flaws). The contract is not so bad though that it can't be traded. I wouldn't compare it Amir's and Fields' contracts. Demar's value is better.
            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
              If you're good on defense, that allows to be a terrible shooter but still be useful. Or, if you're a great shooter, that excuses you if you're a pylon. If you're neither a great shooter or a great defender, then you'd better at least be competent at both.
              And I would say Demar is, to use your own words, 'Competent' at both. If BC disagreed with that notion, he would not have offered the contract. Its pretty simple. You may disagree with Colangelo, but thats why he's the President and GM and we are simply fans.

Comment

• grrrrrrrrrr
                in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• This contract is absolute S@#&! There are a number of wings in the league that can score 15 to 18 points a game if given Demars minutes... and they may even be able to handle the ball, rebound or play defence.

Comment

• So Matt.. which volume of Game Of Thrones does this signing fall into?
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

• It's been fun reading all the comments. Don't you guys think that the management team finally came to the realization that that stud wing we're all craving for is just not available. Iggy was this summer but it took an all-star center to pry him away from Philadelphia. OKC wanted JV for Harden. And Memphis would ask for the same thing for Rudy Gay.

By the way, for all the Wilson Chandler lovers, Jordan Hamilton started ahead of him for Denver in the opener. When Galinari gets back, Chandler will be the fourth or fifth wing in the rotation. It wouldn't take much to get him from Denver.

I'm with Joey, let's give it a couple a years to see how DeRozan develops. In two years when there's three years left on DeRozan's new contract, he could easily be moved if things don't work out.
                      Last edited by Michel G; Thu Nov 1, 2012, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        And I would say Demar is, to use your own words, 'Competent' at both.
                        I'll define competent as being average. He's shoots below average from three, and every defensive stat I've seen about him has him ranked as a minus defender.

Believe me, I wish he was actually good. I want the team I watch to be good! But there's literally no evidence that he makes the team better.

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        You may disagree with Colangelo
                        I disagree with him. Local media disagrees with him. Other NBA analysts disagree with him...
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• I think the contract is larger than it ought to be, but not by as much as the general consensus on here would suggest.

I'm thinking about the player market here. There's a shortage of 2-guards in the league, and next summer's free agent crop has become decidedly thinner now that Harden is off the table. Obviously its all conjecture at this point, but it wouldn't have shocked me to see an offer of this size or larger next summer from another team.
                          I think Colangelo and co. decided that, whether he'd earned it or not, he'd get at least this amount next summer from somebody, and they wanted to have control of the situation rather than risk going into RFA and potentially ending up handcapped when the time comes to resign Lowry.

l wouldn't rule out the possibility of him being moved next summer. As we've seen, no contract is untradeable.

Comment

• What does DD do to live up to his Extension?

What kind of numbers would DD have to put up to live up to his new contract?
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                              I think the contract is larger than it ought to be, but not by as much as the general consensus on here would suggest.

I'm thinking about the player market here. There's a shortage of 2-guards in the league, and next summer's free agent crop has become decidedly thinner now that Harden is off the table. Obviously its all conjecture at this point, but it wouldn't have shocked me to see an offer of this size or larger next summer from another team.
                              I think Colangelo and co. decided that, whether he'd earned it or not, he'd get at least this amount next summer from somebody, and they wanted to have control of the situation rather than risk going into RFA and potentially ending up handcapped when the time comes to resign Lowry.

l wouldn't rule out the possibility of him being moved next summer. As we've seen, no contract is untradeable.
                              There isn't a shortage of 2-guards; there is only a shortage of good 2-guards. Right now, DeRozan isn't one of them.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                                So it begins.

I recall this type of reaction when Bargnani was extended.
                                and look how that extension turned out. Bargs has rounded his game and has a great contract, I see no reason demar won't do the same based on his athleticism, work ethic and demeanor.

Comment

Working...
                                X