Is Derozan contract that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Well, now we have a contract that's worth amnestying.
    Too bad the Raps can't.

Amnesty clause only good with contracts signed before lockout.

Comment

• I really can't sympathize with all the BC haters.
      Demar is still VERY young. This player is still 3 years from reaching a point where he expected to be in his "prime," like Bargnani is now. Maybe he is not worth 10 M RIGHT NOW, but in 2 or 3 years odds are good that he becomes a 10 Mil guy or better.
      So all the haters of this deal should realize a few things:
      A) It's better to keep a player like Demar because he undoubtedly will improve and increase in value (Like what Ujiri in Denver has done with his extensions.)
      B) This would have been a STUPID distraction from the team in such an important season (this alone makes this deal easy for me to take)
      C) If the Raps didn't offer it, some other team would have next summer in RFA because nearly all GMs pay the premium for potential, and gladly do so.

All you gotta do is look at Harden's deal from HOU to see how these things work. Is Harden worth that? No, but he probably will be soon.
      Last edited by IROR; Thu Nov 1, 2012, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
        no contract is untradeable.
        This phrase is stitched into the inside of the collars of every one of BCs handmade Italian shirts.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Sorry for crashing this thread. but

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          What kind of numbers would DD have to put up to live up to his new contract?
          20 ppg, 3 rpg, 3 apg, 1 spg, .470 fg%

Comment

• IROR wrote: View Post
            Sorry for crashing this thread. but

20 ppg, 3 rpg, 3 apg, 1 spg, .470 fg%

Key number is fg%. I'd be ok with 15 ppg if he can shoot nearly 50%

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
              There isn't a shortage of 2-guards; there is only a shortage of good 2-guards. Right now, DeRozan isn't one of them.
              Fair point. And no, he's not currently one of them, but he's probably got the potential to be one of them, so I think my point still stands.

As I said, I agree that its too much, but that's happened so many times with Toronto that it doesn't surprise me.

Comment

• Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                Key number is fg%. I'd be ok with 15 ppg if he can shoot nearly 50%
                And with the additions of Lowry and Valanciunas, his scoring is most certainly going to decrease

Comment

• Tesla wrote: View Post
                  And with the additions of Lowry and Valanciunas, his scoring is most certainly going to decrease

And Duane Casey keeps emphasizing how Demar needs to/will become an efficient player. I hope he's right

Comment

• IROR wrote: View Post
                    I really can't sympathize with all the BC haters.
                    Demar is still VERY young. This player is still 3 years from reaching a point where he expected to be in his "prime," like Bargnani is now. Maybe he is not worth 10 M RIGHT NOW, but in 2 or 3 years odds are good that he becomes a 10 Mil guy or better.
                    So all the haters of this deal should realize a few things:
                    A) It's better to keep a player like Demar because he undoubtedly will improve and increase in value (Like what Ujiri in Denver has done with his extensions.)
                    B) This would have been a STUPID distraction from the team in such an important season (this alone makes this deal easy for me to take)
                    C) If the Raps didn't offer it, some other team would have next summer in RFA because nearly all GMs pay the premium for potential, and gladly do so.

All you gotta do is look at Harden's deal from HOU to see how these things work. Is Harden worth that? No, but he probably will be soon.
                    Assuming he gets better in 2 or 3 years and not now makes this an even worse contract, that means we could've paid him less at the end of the year when he's a restricted free agent (pending a QO)

A) He's been given all the freedom to get better. It was under Triano, but he was giving a ton of PT with little growth. If you're looking at the Nuggets, they've already traded Nene and Afflalo so I don't see where you're going with that.
                    B) This is a moot point, unlike the Denver situation where George Karl was affirming that it was a distraction, both DD and Colangelo have said in print that the extension was something they'd figure out at the end of the year. Why the rush?
                    C) This is conjecture, what team is in the market for a high-usage one-dimensional SG? There's no reason we can't offer him this same deal at the end of the year either.

Paying for potential is great, but DD hasn't shown any significant signs of improvement. I really hope he does, but paying him now and hoping he turns into something special is a bad move, when we could've just waited till the end of the season to see how it turns out. I'd much rather pay more for a sure thing, than to gamble on the promise of potential that may or may not be there.

Comment

• Yahoo's Kelly Dwyer's take on the contract. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...4485--nba.html
                      in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• Is there any chance this makes it easier to trade Derozan?
                        in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                          So Matt.. which volume of Game Of Thrones does this signing fall into?
                          lol - I'm not sure. I'm still in shock.... in both GoT and DD.

Comment

• koncept wrote: View Post
                            Yahoo's Kelly Dwyer's take on the contract. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...4485--nba.html
                            Great line from Dwyer:

This is why we have lockouts. Teams bidding against absolutely nobody to pay a player what he isn't worth. DeRozan had no leverage here, and Toronto didn't seem to care. Keep these sorts of deals in mind the next time NBA owners kvetch about salary structures gone wrong.

Comment

Yahoo's Kelly Dwyer's take on the contract. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...4485--nba.html
                              Nailed it.

Comment

I agree with most of what he says but it sort of falls apart when he said it is the same bad idea as the Bargnani contract. That one seemed bad at first but now is quite palatable. I think a poll on this site would argue that but still tilt towards the positive side. Hopefully we will say the same about DeMar one day. Not many people seem to think we will

Comment

Working...
                                X