No announcement yet.

Is Derozan contract that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think you should add a poll to this. It would really help illustrate what RR thinks of the contract. Personally, I don't hate the contract we gave him since that's the price the NBA market for him at the moment. Do I think we're overpaying him? Yea, maybe a bit. Does it hurt our financial flexibility? Not really. People are sorta blowing this out of proportion a bit mainly because DD under-performed last season and many people are starting to have doubts about the potential he has. Can't really say I blame them since he didn't live up to expectations in his 3rd year, but (I might be a fool for saying this) I believe in Derozan keeping up with expectations this year. He's a good kid who can seriously play and has a great work ethic. Hopefully, he'll eventually live up to his contract value and we could then view his contract as a bargain.

Comment

• I want my mediocrity thread opened again. the more I think about this game and the derozan signing the angrier i get.....

Comment

• time will tell
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          time will tell
          Exactly!

Comment

• BC wants to keep our core together and I like it. All of our starters are now here at a minimum until the end of next season. Demar and Valanciunas, two players the franchise seems to be behind are here until 2016 (Val has two team options that will definitely be picked up). No one on the team has a poison pill contract, we have some that may be considered bad value but nothing that is a franchise killer. Even Fields' deal is pretty reasonable when you compare it to other players around the league.

Time will tell if this deal was a good one. If he plays up to his potential and becomes an efficient scorer this deal will look great by the end of the year. If he stays where he is today then we will be in trouble but it's not a franchise killer.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

• This contract is awful...DD is a bum

Comment

• hopefully we can trade him for something

Comment

• optifan wrote: View Post
                  So officially it's $38M over four years, which works out to 9.5 per year. Consider that George Hill's contract is 5 years at $8 million per year. That's equivalent in my opinion due to the extra year and is George Hill really as good or have as much potential as Derozan? Also Taj Gibson just got the exact same deal as Derozan. I know he's a great defender and 6th man but the guy is not even a starter, and his stats are actually quite underwhelming. Also, Thad Young was signed last year to 5 years at 8.5 per year. I think Derozan is worth a million more than him, and we've got a shorter commitment at 4 years.

So I guess my point is that given the current market rates, is Derozan's contract as ludicrous as everyone is saying? I think it's a more fair deal than people think.

And I know that OJ Mayo has a much friendlier contract than Derozan and is arguably a better player but I would argue that his contract is definitely below market value so it's really not a good comparable.

I think people need to chill out a bit.
                  I'd argue that DeRozan's most similar to a guy like Jordan Crawford or Nick Young. Literally the only thing he gives you every night is the "ability" to take a bunch of shots and make a mediocre-to-bad percentage of them. The Raptors already have a bailout/volume shooter guy in Bargnani, and Lowry looks to be more than capable of shot creation when the offense falls apart as well.

Given that DeRozan is a minus on literally everything else, he's a below average player in the league so far in his career. I'd probably agree with you that his deal isn't that far above market value (though I do think it's at least 20-25% above), but players of his type are constantly overvalued by the NBA market. You build a winner in a salary cap league by finding guys you can pay less money to than they're worth, not by handing out contracts that are "not that bad".

Comment

• I agree, the deal is not that far above market value, but market value is only relevant if you actually want what's on offer. Below-average, inefficient, unproductive players like DeRozan are not assets, replacement value players can be picked up anytime, this is a bad move by Toronto for the on-court product, perhaps the team feels that keeping their young players is good for the stability and reputation of the club? I dunno.

Comment

• Yeah it's bad.. DeMar hasn't proven that he deserves the contract he got. It's so bad that even Doug Smith of all people thinks it's bad:

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...t-raptors.html

Early Woj report says DeRozan getting four-year extension worth $40-$42 million; haven't confirmed it,am working on that now. It's overpaid and bidding against yourself and at 11 a.m. today a source close to it told me it wasn't likely. Now it looks like it is, and I'm surprised
                      But the point, to me, is that you just bid against yourself on promise rather than performance; he wasn't going anywhere next summer if they didn't want him to. But that's why Bryan makes the big bucks, I guess
                      I suppose, if the deal is done, they think he's a kid who wants to stay and they want to reward that; that might make some sense but, still .... they paid for promise not production and I don't know that in this day and age with the tax and CBA, that makes sense

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        I'll take Demar for $9.5M a year over Harden for $16M/per. Dude just got $80M over 5.
                        Demars deal is fine. People were all freaked out over Bargnani's deal, and you don't hear too much complaining now.
                        This seems like backward thinking to me. You don't get in trouble in this league paying allstar level guys big money. You get into trouble paying borderline guys those contracts for 8-10 million a year.

P.S. it seems like our whole roster is now comprised of guys who won't ever make an allstar team but make 10 million a year.

Comment

• We should pay him in pesos.

Comment

• I think this might be a mistake. This extension kind of makes the Ross pick look bad, or vice versa.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              time will tell
                              and

given the current market rates

we have now justified every contract ever signed in the NBA up until their duration

Comment

• I wonder what the reaction is in Chicago to the Gibson contract. The man is 27 years old and challenged offensively. To reiterate what optifan said, I just checked his stats and they are underwhelming.

Comment

Working...
                                X