Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Final possession. Call was fishy.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Final possession. Call was fishy.

    So vagas had Indiana to win by two points. Shot clock turned off. Ball tipped out of bound. Would giving papers the ball allow them to beat the raps and ensure the two points spread? Yes! Call could have went raps way since they were the home team. And already raps were getting nailed with non calls. Just my thoughts.

    They did take their foot off the gas though. Good game in either case.

    On another note, how lucky are we for not landing Nash? Would have been a totally different team. He got hurt early in Lakers second loss with a bruised leg. Things happens for a reason. Good or bad!

    Go raps

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,082
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The call that pisses me off is the push off offensive foul on Bargnani and West does the exact same thing - no call.

    Regardless, bad play and poor coaching cost the Raps this game.

    Bring on Brooklyn.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    The call that pisses me off is the push off offensive foul on Bargnani and West does the exact same thing - no call.

    Regardless, bad play and poor coaching cost the Raps this game.

    Bring on Brooklyn.
    There were many missed or shall I say, non calls. Poor dd couldn't buy a call. Kyle should have got final shot. Just saying.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Even Yahoo noticed the BS non-calls on Demar

    DeRozan scored 10 points on 5-for-14 shooting, adding five rebounds, in Wednesday's 90-88 loss to the Pacers.

    Recommendation: Despite numerous attempts to take the ball to the rim that met a wall of Indiana defenders, DeRozan could neither get his shot to fall nor get a foul call from the refs, leading to a fairly vanilla box score line. It's encouraging to see DeRozan be that aggressive though rather than settling for jump shots though, and better scoring days should be ahead.
    (Rotowire.com)

  5. #5
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    Even Yahoo noticed the BS non-calls on Demar
    DeRozan looked like he expected that all he had to do was stroll into the lane and he'd get a call. I saw maybe one play where it should have been a call, but the rest of his "drives" were so soft that he didn't deserve a call. He needs to do what truly great, athletic wing players do... take it hard, take it high and attempt to posterize the defenders! Don't go soft and throw up a circus shot while attempting to avoid/minimize contact... that just gives the refs a reason to make it a 50/50 call. If he goes up and tries to posterize them, he won't give the refs a choice but to blow the whistle!

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    DeRozan looked like he expected that all he had to do was stroll into the lane and he'd get a call. I saw maybe one play where it should have been a call, but the rest of his "drives" were so soft that he didn't deserve a call. He needs to do what truly great, athletic wing players do... take it hard, take it high and attempt to posterize the defenders! Don't go soft and throw up a circus shot while attempting to avoid/minimize contact... that just gives the refs a reason to make it a 50/50 call. If he goes up and tries to posterize them, he won't give the refs a choice but to blow the whistle!
    This.

    It probably doesn't help that DeMar was so blatant about his frustration that he wasn't getting those calls. The more he goes fishing for calls the worse it will be.

    I wish players took that frustration at not getting the calls and channeled it into driving the lane harder and harder.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    The call that pisses me off is the push off offensive foul on Bargnani and West does the exact same thing - no call.

    Regardless, bad play and poor coaching cost the Raps this game.

    Bring on Brooklyn.
    the non call on hill's winning bucket was kinda frustrating given the fact bargs got that push off call. Hill basicly threw Lowry away from him & didnt get any call...

    u can blame the coaching all u want but if the raps got a few calls go there way this game is ours..

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,082
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    the non call on hill's winning bucket was kinda frustrating given the fact bargs got that push off call. Hill basicly threw Lowry away from him & didnt get any call...

    u can blame the coaching all u want but if the raps got a few calls go there way this game is ours..
    When I look to assign blame, I prefer to look at controllable events. I don't view referees as controllable. The Raps have no one to blame for this loss except themselves. The game was their's to win and they gave it away.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    When I look to assign blame, I prefer to look at controllable events. I don't view referees as controllable. The Raps have no one to blame for this loss except themselves. The game was their's to win and they gave it away.
    Agreed. The whoa-is-me, refs-hate-Toronto, talk needs to stop. There were horrible calls on both sides. At the end of the day, the refs didn't shoot 36% from the field, and the refs didn't let West explode for 14 pts in the final quarter.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Agreed. The whoa-is-me, refs-hate-Toronto, talk needs to stop. There were horrible calls on both sides. At the end of the day, the refs didn't shoot 36% from the field, and the refs didn't let West explode for 14 pts in the final quarter.
    +1. I fully agree on this.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Agreed. The whoa-is-me, refs-hate-Toronto, talk needs to stop. There were horrible calls on both sides. At the end of the day, the refs didn't shoot 36% from the field, and the refs didn't let West explode for 14 pts in the final quarter.
    I agree with some points. There were horrible calls on both sides yes, but doesnt mean the calls on both sides had the same impact on the situation. i thought there were more non-calls with the Raps down the stretch and thats what buried them. Unfortunately, refs are part of the game and what they do makes an impact on how teams play. If the refs called all those fouls against Demar and Bargnani, and they got all those FTs in, would West's 14 points have made a difference? Probably not. And this is how refs impact the game. That last play too it was fairly obvious that Bargnani got bumped by West, but a non-call ended the game.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Agreed. The whoa-is-me, refs-hate-Toronto, talk needs to stop. There were horrible calls on both sides. At the end of the day, the refs didn't shoot 36% from the field, and the refs didn't let West explode for 14 pts in the final quarter.
    Non-premier teams playing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> non-premier refs being assigned the game >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> lots of incorrect or missed calls. This has been true in the NBA for years.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    the non call on hill's winning bucket was kinda frustrating given the fact bargs got that push off call. Hill basicly threw Lowry away from him & didnt get any call...

    u can blame the coaching all u want but if the raps got a few calls go there way this game is ours..
    I actually thought Lowry fouled Hill on that play and the refs left it at a no call

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Rookie pillowmint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was wondering about that...lack of exposure may kill us in future for the lack of non-calls. That's where it helps to have an all-star. Despite last year just not being good, the amount of no-calls was tragic. I should also mention that I am not a simple Raps homer either. Just that it was somewhat obvious. Hope that isn't the case this year.
    i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    So vagas had Indiana to win by two points. Shot clock turned off. Ball tipped out of bound. Would giving papers the ball allow them to beat the raps and ensure the two points spread? Yes! Call could have went raps way since they were the home team. And already raps were getting nailed with non calls. Just my thoughts.

    They did take their foot off the gas though. Good game in either case.

    On another note, how lucky are we for not landing Nash? Would have been a totally different team. He got hurt early in Lakers second loss with a bruised leg. Things happens for a reason. Good or bad!

    Go raps
    No more conspiracy theories, please! The sporting world isn't out to screw Canadian teams.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    So vagas had Indiana to win by two points. Shot clock turned off. Ball tipped out of bound. Would giving papers the ball allow them to beat the raps and ensure the two points spread? Yes! Call could have went raps way since they were the home team. And already raps were getting nailed with non calls. Just my thoughts.

    They did take their foot off the gas though. Good game in either case.

    On another note, how lucky are we for not landing Nash? Would have been a totally different team. He got hurt early in Lakers second loss with a bruised leg. Things happens for a reason. Good or bad!

    Go raps
    hahaha this one is a bit over the top though.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was watching the first half of the Blazers-Lakers game the Trail Blazers commentator was not very fond of Leon Wood. He said something like the following:

    "Leon Wood from his usual half court position calls a pushing call on that the two referees close to the action did not see. Typical call for Leon but it's rather unusual we hear his whistle before the start of the 2nd quarter. Go back to sleep Leon".

    I did not think it was an attempt at humor as the commentator picked on him throughout the first half. He never referred to another referee by name.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    I was watching the first half of the Blazers-Lakers game the Trail Blazers commentator was not very fond of Leon Wood. He said something like the following:

    "Leon Wood from his usual half court position calls a pushing call on that the two referees close to the action did not see. Typical call for Leon but it's rather unusual we hear his whistle before the start of the 2nd quarter. Go back to sleep Leon".

    I did not think it was an attempt at humor as the commentator picked on him throughout the first half. He never referred to another referee by name.
    Those Portland Commentators last night were pretty much trash talkin anyone not in a Blazers Uniform at least in the 4th Q when i was watching.. 1 of them was commenting on Gasol complaining for a foul call, saying the lakers havent cryed since the 2nd Q so they were due..LOL seems refs are pretty inconsistant all over the league... maybe they need replacement refs LOL
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Thu Nov 1st, 2012 at 02:54 PM.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The raptors blew the game with bad subbing and not hitting shots. This was there game for the taking. The play that bothers me is that out of bounds call with 20 seconds to go. The refs spent over a minute after the play to say it was pacers ball. Then they go look at the replay and say they don't have enough evidence to over turn the play. THe refs didn't see the who knocked the ball out so how could they ever said it was indiana ball? This should have been a jump ball play between the centres. This call was a game changer and because the refs obviously didn't see who knocked the ball out they should not be able to say it was pacers ball before the review.
    The review didn't show 100% evidence of who knocked the ball out of bounds but physics would say that based on how gerald greens hand was moving and how the ball was knocked out of bounds that gerald green knocked the ball out of bounds. The NBA needs to get there act together on these type of plays and stop allowing biased refering effect the outcome of the game.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,022
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Frankthetank wrote: View Post
    The raptors blew the game with bad subbing and not hitting shots. This was there game for the taking. The play that bothers me is that out of bounds call with 20 seconds to go. The refs spent over a minute after the play to say it was pacers ball. Then they go look at the replay and say they don't have enough evidence to over turn the play. THe refs didn't see the who knocked the ball out so how could they ever said it was indiana ball? This should have been a jump ball play between the centres. This call was a game changer and because the refs obviously didn't see who knocked the ball out they should not be able to say it was pacers ball before the review.
    The review didn't show 100% evidence of who knocked the ball out of bounds but physics would say that based on how gerald greens hand was moving and how the ball was knocked out of bounds that gerald green knocked the ball out of bounds. The NBA needs to get there act together on these type of plays and stop allowing biased refering effect the outcome of the game.
    You're absolutely correct with the physics point. I was beginning to wonder of I was being a homer as the only one that could see that. Most are saying it wasn't clear, but there was at least one camera angle (slightly behind) that showed the physics of it quite clearly, and the baseline one shows Jose's hand getting displaced by Hill(?) and being slightly lower and further from the ball. Unless Jose snaked his fingers through Hill's fingers, there doesn't seem to be any way it hits Jose's hand. But, as you say, the definitive factor is the direction the ball took, vs the movement of both players' hands. It kills me that they use the replay and still get it wrong!! I've seen a couple of replay calls like that in the CFL the past couple of weeks, that were very clearly not the call they stuck to. *shaking head*

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •