Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Final possession. Call was fishy.

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Refs were not our problem last night. At all. That replayed call - even as a homer was a 50/50 call .. could have gone either way. Same with the West / AB push off. What you have to take into account is that AB was getting schooled by West the last 5 or 6 possessions. As a result, when you see AB fall, as a ref, you are likely thinking hes trying to bail himself out cause he cant stop this guy (which was the case at the time) ... as a result, West gets the benefit of the doubt.

To be clear our issues last night were
    - Crunch time execution
    - Having 5 bench players on in the fourth who cant score and letting our 10+ point lead evaporate before finally getting at least Lowry back in
    - AB's inability to stop West / our coaches inability to switch someone else, double team or do something else

- a couple of close calls (distant from the above in terms of importance)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    Final possession wasn't what bugged me it was that the didn't get Dre a touch for the 5 before that. Raptors offense staled and they couldn't get a stop. I realize Jose hit some 3's but we gave just as much on the other end of the floor and then some when he was on the floor. I don't mind the 2 PG system for a few minutes but they basically ran 2 PG --for the whole 4th quarter. They should have played a better defensive line up down the stretch when they had leads of 8 and 6 for several minutes IMO.

On a side note Fields and Anderson combining for 0 points in 40+ minutes is horrendous. Anderson had a few steals and assists but 0 points for a combined 0-9 and we lose by 2 is tough pill to swallow.
    If you include Ross and Lucas, then our wings (excluding DeRozan) were 0-12. DeRozan was just 5-14. That's 5-26 for our wings combined. Our wings shot a combined 19.2% on 26 shots!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    Refs were not our problem last night. At all. That replayed call - even as a homer was a 50/50 call .. could have gone either way. Same with the West / AB push off. What you have to take into account is that AB was getting schooled by West the last 5 or 6 possessions. As a result, when you see AB fall, as a ref, you are likely thinking hes trying to bail himself out cause he cant stop this guy (which was the case at the time) ... as a result, West gets the benefit of the doubt.

To be clear our issues last night were
    - Crunch time execution
    - Having 5 bench players on in the fourth who cant score and letting our 10+ point lead evaporate before finally getting at least Lowry back in- AB's inability to stop West / our coaches inability to switch someone else, double team or do something else

- a couple of close calls (distant from the above in terms of importance)
    I agree completely. Aside from Calderon (and this isn't usually the case), we have no go-to scorers on our 2nd unit. I couldn't figure out why Casey left them on for so long in the 4th quarter, just letting the lead evaporate. Bad coaching, bad shooting (way too many selfish possessions and settling for long jumpers in the last 5 mins) and soft drives (I'm looking at you $40 man!) cost us that game, not the refs.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    You're absolutely correct. Why shoot the long 2 (also known as the LEAST efficient shot in basketball)? Anyone who takes such a shot, at any moment, should be shot.
    Hahahaha I agree!!! Shoot the shooter!!

I guess what im trying to imply is a shot is a shot, you cant really run a whole list of analysis through your head when your feet are already set and your brain is telling you to take that shot. Even the best of 'em takes long twos, be it early or deep in the game.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    Hahahaha I agree!!! Shoot the shooter!!

I guess what im trying to imply is a shot is a shot, you cant really run a whole list of analysis through your head when your feet are already set and your brain is telling you to take that shot. Even the best of 'em takes long twos, be it early or deep in the game.
    IMO, it's a lack of discipline. In the same way non-3-point shooters can resist shooting the 3 (even if wide open), everyone should be able to resist wasting possessions by jacking up long 2s.

The NBA should paint a 4-foot thick line inside the 3-point line, paint it red, and say, "any basket scored from here is worth zero". That's the only way these idiots will learn....