Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how likely is demar...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how likely is demar...

to get traded after signing that extension?

discuss.

Post Thanks / Like

that contract is near untradable
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

there is a 3 month waiting period before he can be traded I believe.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping there's a 100% chance of a trade :|

If Turkeyglue can get dealt, no reason why DeRozan can't. It's one of the few things Colangelo does well....play the sleazy salesman.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping Memphis approved the contract before BC put pen to paper... otherwise I have no way of justifying that contract, especially after just drafting Ross and signing Fields (both are SGs).

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    like turkoglu's...oh wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I'm hoping Memphis approved the contract before BC put pen to paper... otherwise I have no way of justifying that contract, especially after just drafting Ross and signing Fields (both are SGs).
    I desperately want to jump on this idealogy, but I think it's a little too far-fetched (but man, I hope I'm wrong...).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I desperately want to jump on this idealogy, but I think it's a little too far-fetched (but man, I hope I'm wrong...).
    haha I do too... but without some sliver of hope that we turn DeRozan into a legitimate starting SF, that contract is downright unbearable!

Raptors Republic Starter hotfuzz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If lewis, arenas, turkoglu etc. can be traded, i don't see how DD can't be traded.
    "Duh! Winning"
    - Charlie Sheen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote hotfuzz wrote: View Post
    If lewis, arenas, turkoglu etc. can be traded, i don't see how DD can't be traded.
    Except two of those guys you mentioned (Arenas, Lewis) were traded for each other

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    It's the NBA. No contract is immovable. Just depends on what you're willing to take back.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe Johnson was just traded this past offseason ... his was said to be the worst deal in the NBA at over $126M ...

I've said it before, it's all about retaining assets - whether they're being kept or not. You have to look at the market.

Taj Gibson gets $38M, a huge injury risk Steph Curry gets $44M, Jrue gets $46M, and Demar with $42M ... of the people in his draft class - it's in the ballpark of players with various balances of potential versus performance. I think it's a bit of a risk, but that's the game.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Joe Johnson was just traded this past offseason ... his was said to be the worst deal in the NBA at over $126M ...

I've said it before, it's all about retaining assets - whether they're being kept or not. You have to look at the market.

Taj Gibson gets $38M, a huge injury risk Steph Curry gets $44M, Jrue gets $46M, and Demar with $42M ... of the people in his draft class - it's in the ballpark of players with various balances of potential versus performance. I think it's a bit of a risk, but that's the game.
    The difference is that despite their large contracts, Joe Johnson, Taj Gibson, Jrue Holiday and Steph Curry all play their respective positions well.

We can't say the same about DeRozan.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can we set the record straight right now....

Everything I'm reading says the official numbers are 4 years at $38 million. Everyone keeps throwing around $40 and $42 million and it's bugging me because I think things are being misconstrued - which is exactly what happened with Amir's signing.

If we're going to discuss the merits of the contract let's at least get the number right.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post

Sure, retaining assets is a good thing but this is a salary cap world and if it is an asset of dubious value going forward (I dont mean to be to degrading of DD) and you have overpaid for it then it is not wise. All the players you mentioned have in my view significant value within their own teams and are better skilled. I would have no problem doing a 1 for 1 trade for any of them. The question is would their teams do the same for DD? DD got overpaid for the value he provides the Raptors. He did not have to be signed right now giving the team one more year of his services during which Ross could provide a better feel for his talents and allowing the team various scenarios for actions during the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote optifan wrote: View Post
    Everything I'm reading says the official numbers are 4 years at $38 million. Everyone keeps throwing around $40 and $42 million and it's bugging me because I think things are being misconstrued - which is exactly what happened with Amir's signing.

If we're going to discuss the merits of the contract let's at least get the number right.
    It's $9.5 million (per season) vs. $10.5 million. Whatever the number is, it's way too much.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone remember the apologists after the Hedo signing?

"B-b-b-but.. Portland made a similar offer first!"

That's the same thing as what we're getting now with the comparisons of other players getting similar deals. Hedo was good for literally 1 year in his career and somehow we gave him $50M. DeRozan has been good for none of his years.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

even doug smith is like wtf are you doing lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

even doug smith is like wtf are you doing lol.
    His description of last night's deadline being "artificial" is bang on.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

On the contract itself, I think it's an overpayment of about $1.5 million per year, which wouldn't be huge cause for concern except that our roster is full of slight overpayments. Amir's just a little overpaid, Fields is just a little overpaid, Kleiza's just a little overpaid. All those little overpayments add up. If anything, I think this move probably increases the likelihood of them using the amnesty provision in the offseason. They'll need the flexibility.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information