Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how likely is demar...

Raptors Republic Rookie Afro_Daddy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

he tweeted earlier about it and said he wants to be here, and we have the best fans.. clearly he dont read this site cause all everyone does here is bash there own players.. the contract is signed so get over it, you'll all be on his dick if he suddenly turns the corner this year and better here than after we trade him

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Afro_Daddy wrote: View Post
    he tweeted earlier about it and said he wants to be here, and we have the best fans.. clearly he dont read this site cause all everyone does here is bash there own players.. the contract is signed so get over it, you'll all be on his dick if he suddenly turns the corner this year and better here than after we trade him
    If you pay me 40 mill I'll love you too.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    On the contract itself, I think it's an overpayment of about $1.5 million per year, which wouldn't be huge cause for concern except that our roster is full of slight overpayments. Amir's just a little overpaid, Fields is just a little overpaid, Kleiza's just a little overpaid. All those little overpayments add up. If anything, I think this move probably increases the likelihood of them using the amnesty provision in the offseason. They'll need the flexibility.
    I would not have given him more than Fields at this time because, to me, he represents the same level of risk.

I will continue to cheer for DeMar and hope he adds one or two skills to his game. I wish I could see a marker that would tell me this was definitely a possibility.

I am not a fan of The Spin Doctor and the Fields and DeRozan contracts did not change my position. All this flexibility poof, gone, for marginal starters who will either need to improve significantly or be replaced for the team to have any chance of contending for a title. It hurts even more that they were signed by 3 and 4 years respectively.

I am a sad panda today.

I will ask my wife to cheer me up and hope she comes up with something fun.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    Except two of those guys you mentioned (Arenas, Lewis) were traded for each other
    And then Lewis was traded again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    And then Lewis was traded again.
    Yes, but at a moment he could be bought out for about 2/3 of his contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Taj Gibson gets $38M, a huge injury risk Steph Curry gets $44M, Jrue gets $46M, and Demar with $42M ... of the people in his draft class - it's in the ballpark of players with various balances of potential versus performance. I think it's a bit of a risk, but that's the game.
    This was the point I was also trying to make. Some people, there's just no convincing though.
    Hence why I'm trying to stay out of this. Far too much Haterade in these threads for my liking. Haha

Quote Afro_Daddy wrote: View Post
    Well said Afro.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DeMar DeRozan is a boss. Don't underestimate the prodigy

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    This was the point I was also trying to make. Some people, there's just no convincing though.
    Hence why I'm trying to stay out of this. Far too much Haterade in these threads for my liking. Haha

Well said Afro.
    +1

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    On the contract itself, I think it's an overpayment of about $1.5 million per year, which wouldn't be huge cause for concern except that our roster is full of slight overpayments. Amir's just a little overpaid, Fields is just a little overpaid, Kleiza's just a little overpaid. All those little overpayments add up. If anything, I think this move probably increases the likelihood of them using the amnesty provision in the offseason. They'll need the flexibility.
    I believe amnesty can only be used for your own players signed before the 11-12 season. DD is ineligible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Yes, but at a moment he could be bought out for about 2/3 of his contract.
    Which was still $15 million dollars to tell a guy to go home and wait for a call from Miami.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Which was still $15 million dollars to tell a guy to go home and wait for a call from Miami.
    And they use that capspace now for a guy who played a few games last year and might not play this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    And they use that capspace now for a guy who played a few games last year and might not play this year.
    There is that.

That situation is weird. Is Gordon making them 'pay' for matching when he made it clear he wanted to go to Phoenix? Supposedly he has been cleared to play according to Hollinger's chat today.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I believe amnesty can only be used for your own players signed before the 11-12 season. DD is ineligible.
    I wasn't clear; I didn't mean they'd amnesty derozan. They'd use it on Kleiza or, more likely, Amir.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    I would not have given him more than Fields at this time because, to me, he represents the same level of risk.
    I think the contract is fine. We were never going to resign DeMar at Fields' level this year or next. DeMar is a much better player than Fields.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    DeMar DeRozan is a boss. Don't underestimate the prodigy
    I'll have to give you props for enthusiasm. Let's see if the 40 Million Dollar man makes it to the All Star Game this year. Yay points!
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Let's see if the 40 Million Dollar man makes it to the All Star Game this year.
    He'll only be paid $3.3M this year though ...

And why do people always round the numbers up when they want to make their point made?
    Its a $38M Contract. Not $40M. Stop listening to the media.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    He'll only be paid $3.3M this year though ...

And why do people always round the numbers up when they want to make their point made?
    Its a $38M Contract. Not $40M. Stop listening to the media.
    i think defending what amounts to 500 000 a year so strongly shows how week any other defense of the contract is. no way he should be making more than beasley. i mean whats 500 000 anyway. teams can throw that away on players that haven't even entered the league yet.

unless demar steps up this year or next big time this deal is garbage for us. 5 years at 40 would have been better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    unless demar steps up this year or next big time this deal is garbage for us.
    Right, so its not QUITE Garbage yet. Give it some time to breathe. I'm simply reserving judgement. And I think alot of other people should do the same.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Michel G wrote: View Post
    I think the contract is fine. We were never going to resign DeMar at Fields' level this year or next. DeMar is a much better player than Fields.
    This comment hurts my brain

Post Thanks / Like

I hope DeMar proves everyone wrong.

Guy just turned 23 years old. He's still a very young player. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet.

Thread Information