Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seriously , what were your expectations?

Raptors Republic Starter knickz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Seriously , what were your expectations?

Just wondering because I surfed other raptor sites and found a lot of you people are already throwing in the the towel. As for myself, I didn't really have any expectations when we didn't land a sf who could put the ball in the basket. We had a top ten defense and a bottom three offense, but for some reason we added a defensive pg instead of addressing the sf position.
    "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Post Thanks / Like

as most of you all know I am the biggest calderon fanboy but I do love lowry, however I feel the sf position needed to be addressed

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gonna give it 4 - 6 weeks. Casey has to see all of his guys in real game situations and try moving the pieces around a little. I still think Fields will show more than we've seen, and I think DeMar will take a step forward. I like the idea of AB and JV on the floor together. Having those two and Lowry, with Fields able to play good D will hide the SF hole on offence.

Post Thanks / Like

If they're going to make the playoffs they'll have to figure it out a lot sonner than 4-6 weeks

Post Thanks / Like

*sooner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    If they're going to make the playoffs they'll have to figure it out a lot sonner than 4-6 weeks
    My unspoken assumption was that once they figure it out they will totally dominate the Atlantic Division. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    My unspoken assumption was that once they figure it out they will totally dominate the Atlantic Division. ;-)
    serious? I love this team like everyone on here but we are the worst team in the atlantic. I hear ddoug smith on prime time talking about the raps love rudy gay, hopefully something happens there or we are completely screwed.

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna give it 4 - 6 weeks. Casey has to see all of his guys in real game situations and try moving the pieces around a little. I still think Fields will show more than we've seen, and I think DeMar will take a step forward. I like the idea of AB and JV on the floor together. Having those two and Lowry, with Fields able to play good D will hide the SF hole on offence.
    don't know about fields, was never high on him, just know bc took a huge risk

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote knickz wrote: View Post
    serious? I love this team like everyone on here but we are the worst team in the atlantic. I hear ddoug smith on prime time talking about the raps love rudy gay, hopefully something happens there or we are completely screwed.
    We aren't the worst. If we can get things clicking we're top 3 easy, who's gonna stop us? 76ers? knicks? please. Those teams are wayy overrated and so is brooklyn. Brooklyn's D will be atrocious just watch, brook lopez and his soft interior D won't help the cause either.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

They lost by two points to the 3rd best team in the East. Unless people were expecting them to finish 3rd or higher, I don't know how anyone can be too upset at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jrdyck wrote: View Post
    They lost by two points to the 3rd best team in the East. Unless people were expecting them to finish 3rd or higher, I don't know how anyone can be too upset at this point.
    Bammm. That's what I'm talkin' about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    We aren't the worst. If we can get things clicking we're top 3 easy, who's gonna stop us? 76ers? knicks? please. Those teams are wayy overrated and so is brooklyn. Brooklyn's D will be atrocious just watch, brook lopez and his soft interior D won't help the cause either.
    love your optimism but we will finish last. brooklyn has no d but we have no offense

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

9th in the Conference. But i think they have the talent to make the playoffs as a 7th-8th seed.

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"I'm not sure they should have any expectations" - Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Still hoping for 38Ws and flirting with the 8th

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In the short term I was looking at 8th/9th seed which is a serious improvement, and is what I'm still looking for. However the DeMar deal handcuffs the future of this franchise. Paying $9M+ to a mediocre player is not the right way to build a club. There were guys just last year like Afflalo, Thornton and Young that got paid much less, who are all arguably better than DeMar.

I still don't understand why the "wait and see" approach couldn't work for Bryan. Guys like Jennings and Evans were not given extensions yet, and those guys are also arguably better than DeMar.

Not the right thread I guess for my rant.. but my expectations were to have long term flexibility to help get more talent to get us over the top (ie, perennial playoff contenders), but now I have to hope and pray that DeMar becomes a stud because as of right now he hasn't proven it to me anyway and we don't have as much flexibility as we did before.

The sad thing is that Lowry will need to be resigned to an extension and I'm not sure how he would feel coming back to the core we currently have otherwise we may have to offer him a max contract which would be ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    ...The sad thing is that Lowry will need to be resigned to an extension and I'm not sure how he would feel coming back to the core we currently have otherwise we may have to offer him a max contract which would be ridiculous.
    I wonder how many max contract players there are in the league? Seems like a lot to me. And a lot of them not "deserved." Maybe max contracts aren't ridiculous, just a cost of doing business in a players league?

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My expectations are that we make the playoffs. One of this teams biggest strengths is the bench, so I look for them to win more games in the second half of the season when injuries and the grind of the season start to take their affects on other teams. We should be able to maintain a solid level of play even if we sustain injuries to some of our key players because of our bench.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how many max contract players there are in the league? Seems like a lot to me. And a lot of them not "deserved." Maybe max contracts aren't ridiculous, just a cost of doing business in a players league?
    No one forces any GM to pay any contract aside from the league forcing a team to meet a salary floor.

Sports teams, in general, and ofcourse basketball in particular, spend alot of time overpaying for players. As such its easy to try and justify player X because of what player Y is making. But that doesn't mean player X is actually worth the money they get or are offered.

There are alot of 'max contracts' out in the league, and very few of them are deserved. This isn't like buying a nick nack to put up on your shelf, or collecting sports cards because you are a collector, and if you want the one and only Joe Shmoo mint condition rookie card you have to pay the highest price. These players are commodities who offer a service. That service has a level of production that is replacable.

As much as I like Lowry, even considering paying him a max deal is more than a bit ludicrous. Yes someone like Joe Johnson may be getting a max, and Lowry may be as good or better than him, but unless Lowry's production is close to or better than what you could otherwise spend those dollars on, you aren't helping the team win more games.

So are max contracts the cost of doing business? No. They are a cost GMs/Owners individually decide to take on.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote knickz wrote: View Post
    I'm sure a lot of teams love Rudy Gay
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Thread Information