Thread: I don't understand why people are panicking...

Raptors Republic Rookie phillythekid's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I don't understand why people are panicking...

Seriously, it's been two games, against two very good teams. Yes, there are some issues that clearly need addressing (wing production, interior defense), but it really is foolish to think that this team is destined for futility at this point.

Both games have been close, and until this team figures out who is going to be the man down the stretch, there will be struggles. But I think that it will come with time.

It's a long, long season (remember, it's 82 games this year!), so let's not get worked up too much over what's happened to this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. I wasn't expecting to win either of these games. But when the games are this close, you can't help but get worked up a little

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tesla wrote: View Post
    Agreed. I wasn't expecting to win either of these games. But when the games are this close, you can't help but get worked up a little
    I agree. Tomorrow's game should be a win though. I think the Raps could beat the Wolves even if they had Love and Rubio in the lineup. Without them, i think it should be an automotic win.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The defense is just not there from our starters. This group played 1 quarter of solid defense (the other night in indiana) in 2 games. We definitely need to adjust who plays with each other.

Raptors Republic Starter OzRapFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

After a great 1st qtr Casey left the second unit in too long and let the Nets get the momentum back. I blame the coaching, but yeah 2 close games against good teams, need to steal a few of those to make the 8 though

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    I agree. Tomorrow's game should be a win though. I think the Raps could beat the Wolves even if they had Love and Rubio in the lineup. Without them, i think it should be an automotic win.
    The Raptors are playing the second of two nights in a row while the undefeated Twolves had Saturday off. It could be a Raptors win but they're never "automatic."

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Who's panicking? I don't recall reading about anyone planning to jump out of a high storey building because the Raps lost again.

Raptors Republic Starter knickz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phillythekid wrote: View Post
    Seriously, it's been two games, against two very good teams. Yes, there are some issues that clearly need addressing (wing production, interior defense), but it really is foolish to think that this team is destined for futility at this point.

Both games have been close, and until this team figures out who is going to be the man down the stretch, there will be struggles. But I think that it will come with time.

It's a long, long season (remember, it's 82 games this year!), so let's not get worked up too much over what's happened to this point.
    I seriously don't know why ppl had soo much expectations. we are projected to win about 30 something games
    "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Raptors Republic Starter knickz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

most of you ppl are just setting yourself up for disappointment. let's just hope demar, ed and val gonna breakthrough so we can make a strong push next year
    "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Raptors Republic Rookie phillythekid's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Who's panicking? I don't recall reading about anyone planning to jump out of a high storey building because the Raps lost again.
    I interpret proposals to break up the team at this point via the trade of combinations of Calderon, Fields, Ross and Davis as panicking.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OzRapFan wrote: View Post
    After a great 1st qtr Casey left the second unit in too long and let the Nets get the momentum back. I blame the coaching, but yeah 2 close games against good teams, need to steal a few of those to make the 8 though
    That left me scratching my head too. Think Casey is still figuring out the rotations but I don't really get why he seems to want to put in a second unit instead of mixing the starters and bench. Maybe it's early season conditioning issues? Whatever it is, that bench unit really lacks scoring punch unless JL3 is out there and happens to be on. They could probably really have used Kleiza tonight.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We lose cause the coaching staff is fucking up the lineups and the rotation. All the starters should be playing 28 - 30 mins a game minimum! and we need to close each quarter with the starters. The coaching staff better figure this out fast

Post Thanks / Like

Quote OzRapFan wrote: View Post
    Agree totally with this. The lineup/rotation management wasn't very good tonight. May just be coach Casey experimenting, but, can't be doing that now.

To the original point, these were two games the team could've won, maybe that's a reason why people are panicking. It's in our control to close games, too many mistakes down the stretch. It happens with a completely brand new team though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    That left me scratching my head too. Think Casey is still figuring out the rotations but I don't really get why he seems to want to put in a second unit instead of mixing the starters and bench. Maybe it's early season conditioning issues? Whatever it is, that bench unit really lacks scoring punch unless JL3 is out there and happens to be on. They could probably really have used Kleiza tonight.
    Kleiza, Ross, and JL3 would've easily changed the tempo of the game.

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phillythekid wrote: View Post

blew 10 point lead in both games
    The culture of defense that was supposed to be brought by DC does not seem evident
    Indy loss is typical of an oh-so-close 33 win team
    Indy with out granger @ home is winable game - they lost to bobcats
    Fields is well on his way to showing us he is the year 2 Nicks guy
    Bargs is well on his way to showing us he is the listless volume shooter who doesn't play with heart
    Allan Anderson is the best SF on this team

but most importantly this raptor team is too easy to shut down.

no playoffs - make a note of it
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    but most importantly this raptor team is too easy to shut down.
    this i agree with to an extent. our reserves can't score right now. preseason shots that dropped aren't dropping. we miss leandro right now. klieza should get some burn tonight if his family is ok. or what if a klieza ross for something is in the making

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Aside from Jonas subbing out early due to foul trouble, the first sub was Jose for Fields at 1:59 first quarter, score 28-23 Raps

Most of the 2nd unit was in 10:53 2nd quarter and the score was 35 - 29 Raps

The first unit was back in at 4:42 of the 2nd quarter, score was tied at 42.

Thats about a 5 - 6 pt swing.

From that point to the end of the half, including Gray in for Jonas, the starters gave up an 8 pt lead to Brooklyn ending the half 60 - 52.

Jonas again subbed out early due, but the bench starting subbing in at 4:43 of the 3rd quarter, this time Anderson for Fields, the score was 79-68 Brooklyn

By the time the entire 2nd unit was in at 1:18 of the 3rd quarter the score was 81-76 Brooklyn

When the starters (or I guess finishers) were back in at 7:05 of the 4th the score was 88-85 Brooklyn

If you count from Anderson the 2nd unit clawed back 8 pts, if from when the entire unit was in it was 2 pts.

So while the bench gave up a small lead in the 1st half, they also made gains in the 2nd half. I don't think the bench unit was a problem. They had a bad 1st half and a good 2nd half. Toronto simply got beat by a better team.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    ...So while the bench gave up a small lead in the 1st half, they also made gains in the 2nd half. I don't think the bench unit was a problem. They had a bad 1st half and a good 2nd half. Toronto simply got beat by a better team.
    Agree 100% with this.

Casey's substitutions may not have been perfect, but I laugh at people who just throw out generalizations. JV's early foul trouble allowed Lopez to have his way. I think that was a more important factor than anything else. Won't be happening like that in a month. JV will learn fast. And I think the reffing was bad. Bad reffing will almost always help the stronger team.

Thread Information