Calm the eff down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calm the eff down

It's two games, 3 new starters, 8 New players, a new focus on offense, against a seasoned team that many expect to be 2nd or 3rd this season (Indiana) and a team that is assembled with two all stars in the back court and that is also expected to finish somewhere between 2nd and 4th. WE WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO WIN THESE GAMES...no sensible objective person in any sports betting arena would have money on the Raptors winning that game.

"This lineup isn't working" - Maybe, maybe not. Please say this after a concrete 15 - 20 game sample size.

"Fire Colangelo" - really already getting these threads two games in? You try and be a GM of a team in Toronto when there are 5 state tax exempt teams (San Antonio, Miami, Orlando, Houston, and Dallas) 4 big city markets with huge sponsorship potential Nets, Knicks, Lakers, Clippers. Every single free agent with a choice and worth a decent pay check is going to to go to those teams. How the hell do you expect any GM who essentially starts with his foot 1/3 in the hole to do? Has been bang on in everything he does...hell no. Has made decisions I thought were terrible at the time that turned out to be right? Several times, (Bargs contract, drafting JV etc.)

If we are going to build a successful team it is going to be in the mold of teams like Indiana, Utah, Detroit. Even though we are a larger market that is the formula we will have to follow.

Remember a season of between 37 - 45 wins with us keeping the majority of the losses close until the final minutes, is a success compared to where we have been. 8th seed is a nice goal, but it won't be a failure if we don't get there.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

+10000
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
      ...Remember a season of between 37 - 45 wins with us keeping the majority of the losses close until the final minutes, is a success compared to where we have been. 8th seed is a nice goal, but it won't be a failure if we don't get there.
      Oh yeah? But that just means we will be stuck in mediocrity through all infinity and every player who ever comes here and is any good will bolt at the first chance. ;-)

Comment

thead wrote: View Post

"Fire Colangelo" - really already getting these threads two games in? You try and be a GM of a team in Toronto when there are 5 state tax exempt teams (San Antonio, Miami, Orlando, Houston, and Dallas) 4 big city markets with huge sponsorship potential Nets, Knicks, Lakers, Clippers. Every single free agent with a choice and worth a decent pay check is going to to go to those teams. How the hell do you expect any GM who essentially starts with his foot 1/3 in the hole to do? Has been bang on in everything he does...hell no. Has made decisions I thought were terrible at the time that turned out to be right? Several times, (Bargs contract, drafting JV etc.)

If we are going to build a successful team it is going to be in the mold of teams like Indiana, Utah, Detroit. Even though we are a larger market that is the formula we will have to follow.

Remember a season of between 37 - 45 wins with us keeping the majority of the losses close until the final minutes, is a success compared to where we have been. 8th seed is a nice goal, but it won't be a failure if we don't get there.
        I think Colangelo should have been fired after he got virtually no return for Bosh leaving. Yes I would look at Utah and Denver also as models that we should have tried to emulate. They traded away stars whom they had very little chance of resigning and rebuilt their teams on the fly without missing a beat.

I think Colangelo made mistakes before Bosh left while trying to build a contender, and I think he has made mistakes since then trying a rebuild, rushing it, and proclaiming it was time to get competitive this year when (coincidentally) he has very little time left on his contract to try to show some improvement.

As I explained in the Fire Colangelo thread, I don't think he is building towards being a perennial contender. You disagree? Fine. But it is not after 2 games that I have come to this conclusion. It is after 6 years and 2 games, that I think this team isn't going in the right direction, and a change at the top is in order.

37 wins? A bunch of close losses and maybe missing out on the 8th seed would be satisfactory to you? I am sorry but I don't see how that result with this group is putting us on a trajectory towards contention. If you think its too early to complain about this guy then you are entitled to your opinion. Personally I think it is long overdue.

Comment

madeupid25 wrote: View Post
          I think Colangelo should have been fired after he got virtually no return for Bosh leaving. Yes I would look at Utah and Denver also as models that we should have tried to emulate. They traded away stars whom they had very little chance of resigning and rebuilt their teams on the fly without missing a beat.

I think Colangelo made mistakes before Bosh left while trying to build a contender, and I think he has made mistakes since then trying a rebuild, rushing it, and proclaiming it was time to get competitive this year when (coincidentally) he has very little time left on his contract to try to show some improvement.

As I explained in the Fire Colangelo thread, I don't think he is building towards being a perennial contender. You disagree? Fine. But it is not after 2 games that I have come to this conclusion. It is after 6 years and 2 games, that I think this team isn't going in the right direction, and a change at the top is in order.

37 wins? A bunch of close losses and maybe missing out on the 8th seed would be satisfactory to you? I am sorry but I don't see how that result with this group is putting us on a trajectory towards contention. If you think its too early to complain about this guy then you are entitled to your opinion. Personally I think it is long overdue.
          It would be worth the time to visit Basketball-Reference.com and look at the teams currently in the playoffs. Then go back to the 1999-2000 season and click the 'next season' button until present time. I think you will be hard pressed to find teams that went from 20 wins to 45 wins in one season. Sure it has happened (hell it even happened in Toronto) but it is extremely rare and often temporary. If the goal is to compete for deep playoff runs, then slow and steady is likely to win the race.

Comment

Right on!!! 2 effen games, against quality teams that could easily have been wins, and the panic and discontent being expressed is astonishing. 2 effen games! With a few exceptions, the general mentality at RR seems to be of the "spoiled child needing instant gratification" variety. 2 effen games!! Good lord!

Comment

...37 wins? A bunch of close losses and maybe missing out on the 8th seed would be satisfactory to you? I am sorry but I don't see how that result with this group is putting us on a trajectory towards contention. If you think its too early to complain about this guy then you are entitled to your opinion. Personally I think it is long overdue.
              So, given the talent, what number of wins would satisfy you? Realistically, firing Colangelo would have no impact on the talent of the team, so how do you measure satisfaction this year. If you say, the wins don't matter, then just GTFOOH. Go talk to Tannenbaum on the Basketball Team Owners forum. What result with this group WOULD put the Raps on a trajectory towards contention? How would YOU put the team on a trajectory towards contention if you don't believe that upgrading the talent for two years in a row would, because realistically, that is what Bryan has done.

Comment

Hard not to believe that a lot of these posters aren't straight on trolls. Or maybe refugees from the "wave a magic wand and get what you want" universe.

Comment

i agree its still early.. however unless the raps rehire Dave Hopla or someone to work on Fields & DD's shots then i predict a lot of bricks this season...Fields Shot has looked as ugly as E.Davis last season LOL Demar has Improved but still needs to get better, other then that ive liked the effort most of the time..still awork in progress but im still optimistic

Comment

I think Colangelo should have been fired after he got virtually no return for Bosh leaving.
                    Bosh was the one who gave mixed signals. I don't think that was Colangelo's fault entirely. It was a situation where he was trying to retain Bosh because he genuinely seemed on the fence.

I think he's done a solid job rebuilding the franchise. He's made a really great hire in Dwane Casey, who I think we all believe is a big difference maker as a coach. He's brought in an All-Star caliber PG in Kyle Lowry, and despite the Bargnani draft pick (which was a mistake IMO) he didn't hesitate to draft another European 7-footer in JV who I think is going to be a stud in this league. He's a GM who knows the ins and outs of this league. He's doing a fine job if you ask me.
                    "Be true to the game, because the game will be true to you. If you try to shortcut the game, then the game will shortcut you. If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you. That's true about the game, and in some ways about life too." ~ Michael Jordan
                    ------------------------------------------
                    "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit at home and think about it. Go out and get busy." ~ Dale Carnegie

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                      So, given the talent, what number of wins would satisfy you? Realistically, firing Colangelo would have no impact on the talent of the team, so how do you measure satisfaction this year. If you say, the wins don't matter, then just GTFOOH. Go talk to Tannenbaum on the Basketball Team Owners forum. What result with this group WOULD put the Raps on a trajectory towards contention? How would YOU put the team on a trajectory towards contention if you don't believe that upgrading the talent for two years in a row would, because realistically, that is what Bryan has done.
                      How many wins? I dunno, like 10 maybe. So we could have had a shot at drafting a legit franchise player to build around. Hey you guys are thrilled with his performace? Great. I hope you are right. I disagree, and that makes me a troll, a spoiled child, or whatever. I am just not happy with many of his moves, with how he justifies them, and I don't believe that the Toronto Raptors will will a championship with Bryan Colangelo as GM. Agree to disagree. You don't have to be a dick about it.

Comment

...Agree to disagree. You don't have to be a dick about it.
                        I'm not being a dick about it, I am just sick and tired of guys saying "The raps aren't going to be contenders any time soon. fire Colangelo." As if having a different GM is going to make them contenders. The question I put to you was, what would satisfy you that they were on the trajectory towards being a contender. Tanking for 3 years until they get a guaranteed Monster All-Star talent doesn't put you on that trajectory. It puts you on the trajectory of having your team close up shop and move to a city in the states. Vancouver sucked for years and look what happened. Tanking means people stop coming out to the games, and owners lose money, so they sell the team.

There have been a lot of other GM's the Raps have had. You think it is a coincidence that they haven't been able to get multiple all-stars? What is the secret??? Oh yeah. I forgot. It's make better trades, exchanging the Raptors trash for other teams effective players. And then resign them for less that the league average for players of their quality. Boy! Why didn't Colangelo, or any of the other Raptors GM's ever think of that? Who new it could be so easy.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                          I'm not being a dick about it, I am just sick and tired of guys saying "The raps aren't going to be contenders any time soon. fire Colangelo." As if having a different GM is going to make them contenders. The question I put to you was, what would satisfy you that they were on the trajectory towards being a contender. Tanking for 3 years until they get a guaranteed Monster All-Star talent doesn't put you on that trajectory. It puts you on the trajectory of having your team close up shop and move to a city in the states. Vancouver sucked for years and look what happened. Tanking means people stop coming out to the games, and owners lose money, so they sell the team.

There have been a lot of other GM's the Raps have had. You think it is a coincidence that they haven't been able to get multiple all-stars? What is the secret??? Oh yeah. I forgot. It's make better trades, exchanging the Raptors trash for other teams effective players. And then resign them for less that the league average for players of their quality. Boy! Why didn't Colangelo, or any of the other Raptors GM's ever think of that? Who new it could be so easy.
                          +1 - although my sarcasm radar is certainly creating quite a bit of noise right now.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            +1 - although my sarcasm radar is certainly creating quite a bit of noise right now.
                            Did I come across as sarcastic? I'll have to watch that. :-)

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                              Right on!!! 2 effen games, against quality teams that could easily have been wins, and the panic and discontent being expressed is astonishing. 2 effen games! With a few exceptions, the general mentality at RR seems to be of the "spoiled child needing instant gratification" variety. 2 effen games!! Good lord!
                              If The Lakers are not hitting the panic button after 0-3 start, who the heck are we to be hitting it after to very close losses. Lakers games were not even close!

Take a chill pill guys. At least our guys don't give up like teams of past!
                              Go Raps!

Comment

Working...
                              X