Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Top NBA Back-courts?

  1. #1
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Top NBA Back-courts?

    Obviously this is early, but maybe down the road, it'd be good to re-open and re-evaluate.

    Now, I brought this topic up with the guys during the game chat, and I asked, is Derozan/Lowry a top 10 back-court?

    IF Yes, what are the 9 better back-courts, and if No, where do you rate it?

    My Top 10:

    1. LeBron James/Dwayne Wade
    2. Deron Williams/Joe Johnson
    3. Steve Nash/Kobe Bryant
    4. Chris Paul/Chauncey Billups
    5. Rajon Rondo/Courtney Lee
    6. Russel Westbrook/Thabo Sefolosha
    7. Brandon Jennings/Monte Ellis
    8. Ty Lawson/Andre Iguodala
    9. Tony Parker/Manu Ginobili
    10. Kyle Lowry/Demar Derozan

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When they both are clicking, yeah they are top 10 to me. But, that is a big "when". Demar has not convinced me that he will consistently be able to produce. He has to step up. He is not a young gun anymore. He is going to be making serious money in the next few years, and he is capable of earning it.

    Tonight vs. the Timberwolves Demar played amazing defence with those steals he had (and his on-ball looked better than it usually does), not to mention he broke a couple guys down with his dribble (one of them being AK47) and got to the rim.

    I like the chemistry he and Lowry have as well. There was a crucial stretch where Lowry found Demar twice in a row when the game was getting tight.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Technically, LeBron James/Dwayne Wade doesn't count as a back-court since LeBron, being a SF, is part of the front court. Another thing, I think you missed Jeremy Lin/James Harden. Lin might not be better than Lowry, but Harden is proving that he's a really damn good player. So I think you should add them to the list and remove LeBron James/Dwayne Wade.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    771
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Certainly looked like it the past couple of games.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's too early to put DeMar on any best of lists.. Kyle obviously bumps them up, but I'd wait and see how it goes after at least 25/30 games.

    Minny's combo of Rubio/Roy is not too shabby. Irving/Waiters may be up there too. Same with Wall/Beal and Curry/Thompson.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    Technically, LeBron James/Dwayne Wade doesn't count as a back-court since LeBron, being a SF, is part of the front court. Another thing, I think you missed Jeremy Lin/James Harden. Lin might not be better than Lowry, but Harden is proving that he's a really damn good player. So I think you should add them to the list and remove LeBron James/Dwayne Wade.
    Technically speaking, yes, but LeBron James plays that pure point guard role for the Heat. LeBron is a small forward, but no doubt he plays the position.

    Even IF I did get rid of the LeBron/Wade duo, Lin/Harden would NOT be there. Lin is still unproven, and isn't even a top 10 point guard in my opinion. Harden is making him look a lot better than he is, for Harden is a play-maker. Make shots, find shots.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    It's too early to put DeMar on any best of lists.. Kyle obviously bumps them up, but I'd wait and see how it goes after at least 25/30 games.

    Minny's combo of Rubio/Roy is not too shabby. Irving/Waiters may be up there too. Same with Wall/Beal and Curry/Thompson.
    All unproven. Wall/Beal, Rubio/Roy haven't played together yet.

    Irving/Waiters and Curry/Thompson are ifs.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Red and White wrote: View Post
    When they both are clicking, yeah they are top 10 to me. But, that is a big "when". Demar has not convinced me that he will consistently be able to produce. He has to step up. He is not a young gun anymore. He is going to be making serious money in the next few years, and he is capable of earning it.

    Tonight vs. the Timberwolves Demar played amazing defence with those steals he had (and his on-ball looked better than it usually does), not to mention he broke a couple guys down with his dribble (one of them being AK47) and got to the rim.

    I like the chemistry he and Lowry have as well. There was a crucial stretch where Lowry found Demar twice in a row when the game was getting tight.
    I think he has stepped up so far especially from last year. Maybe not the first game due to nerves and contract talks perhaps, but in the two games against the Twolves and the Nets, he looked much better. If you look at just those two games, he's averaging 23.5 PPG, 5 RPG, 1.5 APG, and 2 SPG on 59.3% FG, 50.0% 3PG, and 81.3% FT. He has the talent to score 20+ PPG per game, but he might have trouble getting 5 RPG especially when you have good rebounders in Lowry, Val, Davis and Amir. So of course he probably won't put up these number in ALL his games, but if he can produce like this in a majority of these games, I don't really see how he doesn't deserve 38 mill.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    It's too early to put DeMar on any best of lists.. Kyle obviously bumps them up, but I'd wait and see how it goes after at least 25/30 games.

    Minny's combo of Rubio/Roy is not too shabby. Irving/Waiters may be up there too. Same with Wall/Beal and Curry/Thompson.
    Rubio/Roy looks really juicy and good, but Rubio is gonna need time to heal his injuries and get back into the zone. Roy also isn't the same Roy from Portland. Waiter and Beal still have a lot to prove before I would include them in the top 10 front courts...

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well if we're only looking at the 2012 performances you can't do much other than tip your hat to DeMar/Kyle for now. Here's hoping they keep up the play we've seen this weekend and the rest of the guys pick their play up.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter RPT23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd agree for the most part that Ky-Mar deserves to be considered as one of the top back courts in the NBA but we'll get a better indication after about 1/3 of the way through the season if they are in fact the real deal. I am confident that Kyle can hold his own, but can DeMar keep up the production?

    I'm excited that they are playing well. I think if Bargs gets out of his slump, we'll have a pretty good 3-headed monster on our team (at least speaking offensively that is).
    #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well Demar and Lowry have also been absolutely STELLAR on the defensive end. adding up to 12 steals in the past two games i think.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    All unproven. Wall/Beal, Rubio/Roy haven't played together yet.

    Irving/Waiters and Curry/Thompson are ifs.
    Not to mention that Roy looks done. He doesn't have any spring left in his knees and was easily contained. Rubio and Roy 5 years ago Roy yes. But not now.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    1. LeBron James/Dwayne Wade
    2. Deron Williams/Joe Johnson
    3. Steve Nash/Kobe Bryant
    4. Chris Paul/Chauncey Billups
    5. Rajon Rondo/Courtney Lee

    6. Russel Westbrook/Thabo Sefolosha
    7. Brandon Jennings/Monte Ellis
    8. Ty Lawson/Andre Iguodala
    9. Tony Parker/Manu Ginobili
    10. Kyle Lowry/Demar Derozan

    I'd remove Paul/Billups ... add in Lin/Harden.
    I'd also move Lowry/Demar ahead of the 3 in bold.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This list is suspect without Lin/Harden. By the end of this season they might be in the top 3. The thing is they're the whole team. You look at your 3, 4, 5, 6 -- these are all duo's that are heavily supplanted by some very frontcourt.

    Find me a frontcourt with better averages than these:

    50.7 points, 13.7 assists, 12.0 rebounds, 4.0 steals, 0.7 blocks, 8.0 turnovers, 47.7% FG, 34.5% 3P, 84.4% FT (15 FTA per game)

    Here's ours, more efficient but not as prolific:

    42.7 points, 8.3 assists, 12.3 rebounds, 5 steals, 0.7 blocks, 3.7 turnovers, 62.9% FG, 65% 3PT, 88.2% (11 FTA)
    Last edited by ebrian; Mon Nov 5th, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Technically speaking, yes, but LeBron James plays that pure point guard role for the Heat. LeBron is a small forward, but no doubt he plays the position.

    Even IF I did get rid of the LeBron/Wade duo, Lin/Harden would NOT be there. Lin is still unproven, and isn't even a top 10 point guard in my opinion. Harden is making him look a lot better than he is, for Harden is a play-maker. Make shots, find shots.
    Lebron isn't a point guard though, he's a small forward. Just because he's initiating the offence doesn't make him part of the backcourt.

    And I don't understand saying Lin/Harden isn't better than, say, Ty/Iggy. I suspect by the end of the season there will be no doubt about that.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Superchunk wrote: View Post
    Lebron isn't a point guard though, he's a small forward. Just because he's initiating the offence doesn't make him part of the backcourt.

    And I don't understand saying Lin/Harden isn't better than, say, Ty/Iggy. I suspect by the end of the season there will be no doubt about that.
    If it were Lin/Martin would you say that's better than Ty/Iggy? Maybe Harden/Lin should be in the top 10, but the reason being it's because of Harden, NOT Lin.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    If it were Lin/Martin would you say that's better than Ty/Iggy? Maybe Harden/Lin should be in the top 10, but the reason being it's because of Harden, NOT Lin.
    The backcourt consists of two people. I don't understand what your point is. Houston added Harden, just like Denver added Iggy. Would Ty/Afflalo have made the list?
    your pal,
    ebrian

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,139
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Call me crazy but isn't Chalmers and Wade Miami's backcourt?

    And i agree with most people here, Lin and Harden have to be on that list somewhere. And I would rather have K-Mart than Safolosha.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Watching the cleveland game last night gave me a lot of faith in a Waiters/Irving backcourt. Damn they looked good.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •