Top NBA Back-courts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top NBA Back-courts?

Obviously this is early, but maybe down the road, it'd be good to re-open and re-evaluate.

Now, I brought this topic up with the guys during the game chat, and I asked, is Derozan/Lowry a top 10 back-court?

IF Yes, what are the 9 better back-courts, and if No, where do you rate it?

My Top 10:

1. LeBron James/Dwayne Wade
    2. Deron Williams/Joe Johnson
    3. Steve Nash/Kobe Bryant
    4. Chris Paul/Chauncey Billups
    5. Rajon Rondo/Courtney Lee
    6. Russel Westbrook/Thabo Sefolosha
    7. Brandon Jennings/Monte Ellis
    8. Ty Lawson/Andre Iguodala
    9. Tony Parker/Manu Ginobili
    10. Kyle Lowry/Demar Derozan
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

When they both are clicking, yeah they are top 10 to me. But, that is a big "when". Demar has not convinced me that he will consistently be able to produce. He has to step up. He is not a young gun anymore. He is going to be making serious money in the next few years, and he is capable of earning it.

Tonight vs. the Timberwolves Demar played amazing defence with those steals he had (and his on-ball looked better than it usually does), not to mention he broke a couple guys down with his dribble (one of them being AK47) and got to the rim.

I like the chemistry he and Lowry have as well. There was a crucial stretch where Lowry found Demar twice in a row when the game was getting tight.

Comment

Technically, LeBron James/Dwayne Wade doesn't count as a back-court since LeBron, being a SF, is part of the front court. Another thing, I think you missed Jeremy Lin/James Harden. Lin might not be better than Lowry, but Harden is proving that he's a really damn good player. So I think you should add them to the list and remove LeBron James/Dwayne Wade.

Comment

Certainly looked like it the past couple of games.

Comment

It's too early to put DeMar on any best of lists.. Kyle obviously bumps them up, but I'd wait and see how it goes after at least 25/30 games.

Minny's combo of Rubio/Roy is not too shabby. Irving/Waiters may be up there too. Same with Wall/Beal and Curry/Thompson.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
            Technically, LeBron James/Dwayne Wade doesn't count as a back-court since LeBron, being a SF, is part of the front court. Another thing, I think you missed Jeremy Lin/James Harden. Lin might not be better than Lowry, but Harden is proving that he's a really damn good player. So I think you should add them to the list and remove LeBron James/Dwayne Wade.
            Technically speaking, yes, but LeBron James plays that pure point guard role for the Heat. LeBron is a small forward, but no doubt he plays the position.

Even IF I did get rid of the LeBron/Wade duo, Lin/Harden would NOT be there. Lin is still unproven, and isn't even a top 10 point guard in my opinion. Harden is making him look a lot better than he is, for Harden is a play-maker. Make shots, find shots.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              It's too early to put DeMar on any best of lists.. Kyle obviously bumps them up, but I'd wait and see how it goes after at least 25/30 games.

Minny's combo of Rubio/Roy is not too shabby. Irving/Waiters may be up there too. Same with Wall/Beal and Curry/Thompson.
              All unproven. Wall/Beal, Rubio/Roy haven't played together yet.

Irving/Waiters and Curry/Thompson are ifs.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                When they both are clicking, yeah they are top 10 to me. But, that is a big "when". Demar has not convinced me that he will consistently be able to produce. He has to step up. He is not a young gun anymore. He is going to be making serious money in the next few years, and he is capable of earning it.

Tonight vs. the Timberwolves Demar played amazing defence with those steals he had (and his on-ball looked better than it usually does), not to mention he broke a couple guys down with his dribble (one of them being AK47) and got to the rim.

I like the chemistry he and Lowry have as well. There was a crucial stretch where Lowry found Demar twice in a row when the game was getting tight.
                I think he has stepped up so far especially from last year. Maybe not the first game due to nerves and contract talks perhaps, but in the two games against the Twolves and the Nets, he looked much better. If you look at just those two games, he's averaging 23.5 PPG, 5 RPG, 1.5 APG, and 2 SPG on 59.3% FG, 50.0% 3PG, and 81.3% FT. He has the talent to score 20+ PPG per game, but he might have trouble getting 5 RPG especially when you have good rebounders in Lowry, Val, Davis and Amir. So of course he probably won't put up these number in ALL his games, but if he can produce like this in a majority of these games, I don't really see how he doesn't deserve 38 mill.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Rubio/Roy looks really juicy and good, but Rubio is gonna need time to heal his injuries and get back into the zone. Roy also isn't the same Roy from Portland. Waiter and Beal still have a lot to prove before I would include them in the top 10 front courts...

Comment

Well if we're only looking at the 2012 performances you can't do much other than tip your hat to DeMar/Kyle for now. Here's hoping they keep up the play we've seen this weekend and the rest of the guys pick their play up.

Comment

I'd agree for the most part that Ky-Mar deserves to be considered as one of the top back courts in the NBA but we'll get a better indication after about 1/3 of the way through the season if they are in fact the real deal. I am confident that Kyle can hold his own, but can DeMar keep up the production?

I'm excited that they are playing well. I think if Bargs gets out of his slump, we'll have a pretty good 3-headed monster on our team (at least speaking offensively that is).
                      #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

Well Demar and Lowry have also been absolutely STELLAR on the defensive end. adding up to 12 steals in the past two games i think.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                          All unproven. Wall/Beal, Rubio/Roy haven't played together yet.

Irving/Waiters and Curry/Thompson are ifs.
                          Not to mention that Roy looks done. He doesn't have any spring left in his knees and was easily contained. Rubio and Roy 5 years ago Roy yes. But not now.

Comment

1. LeBron James/Dwayne Wade
                            2. Deron Williams/Joe Johnson
                            3. Steve Nash/Kobe Bryant
                            4. Chris Paul/Chauncey Billups
                            5. Rajon Rondo/Courtney Lee

6. Russel Westbrook/Thabo Sefolosha
                            7. Brandon Jennings/Monte Ellis
                            8. Ty Lawson/Andre Iguodala
                            9. Tony Parker/Manu Ginobili
                            10. Kyle Lowry/Demar Derozan

I'd remove Paul/Billups ... add in Lin/Harden.
                            I'd also move Lowry/Demar ahead of the 3 in bold.
                            The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

This list is suspect without Lin/Harden. By the end of this season they might be in the top 3. The thing is they're the whole team. You look at your 3, 4, 5, 6 -- these are all duo's that are heavily supplanted by some very frontcourt.

Find me a frontcourt with better averages than these:

50.7 points, 13.7 assists, 12.0 rebounds, 4.0 steals, 0.7 blocks, 8.0 turnovers, 47.7% FG, 34.5% 3P, 84.4% FT (15 FTA per game)

Here's ours, more efficient but not as prolific:

42.7 points, 8.3 assists, 12.3 rebounds, 5 steals, 0.7 blocks, 3.7 turnovers, 62.9% FG, 65% 3PT, 88.2% (11 FTA)
                              Last edited by ebrian; Mon Nov 5, 2012, 11:09 AM.
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

Working...
                              X