Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rudy Gay vs Josh Smith....whom would your want the Raps to target?

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    By the way, i did a little research and found out that Jefferson is a UFA after this season. He should be Raps #1 target in my opinion.
    Big Al! AL and Val toughest frontcourt in the league.

Post Thanks / Like

Kleiza to denver for chandler, straight up.
    caldy to utah for jefferson, straight up.

Lowry
    DD
    Chandler
    Jefferson
    JV

Bench:
    Bargs
    JL3
    Ross
    Davis
    Amir

Bargs or amir would have to be traded. If you amnestied Amir think of the bench scoring you could have with Bargs.

Pipe dream, i know.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie phillythekid's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am quite certain that no move is imminent (for good reason), but I'll say that trading for Smith does NOT make sense. First of all, he's a UFA after the season, so we'd have to be sure we could sign him long term. Second of all, Atlanta is not going to take Bargnani, his contract is too many years and too much money for a team clearly trying to create cap space to make a run at a star (ie CP3). So you'd have to likely give up Jose, Davis and picks for a guy you're not sure will be around for more than a season. Too much to give up, and too risky.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sign Big AL. Bench Bargnani or ship him back to italy

Post Thanks / Like

For me, looking at how we've been struggling a bit defensively, I would like to go with Jose Smith.

Rudy Gay IS an underrated defender, but I feel, the assets trading off to the receiving team would be too much if it were for Gay. Josh Smith for Andrea Bargnani + asset (Ross/Anderson) + Four 2nd round picks. > Gay + asset (Selby, Wroten) for Calderon + Derozan/Ross + Amir/Ed + Four 2nd Round Picks.

Josh Smith under Coach Casey not only would it be a dream for Casey, but Smith would be held accountable for the shots and offense he is taking. People are wondering that being on a team, asking him to hold a big role, may be too shot happy, but I feel this team will hold a guy like J. Smith accountable.

Josh Smith isn't your ideal 3 point shooter no doubt, but he is capable of hitting the open shot, not to mention he's a great paint protector, great rebounder, and can play the 3 if you want to play big.

RUDY GAY TRADE:

PG: Lowry
    SG: Derozan
    SF: Gay
    PF: Bargnani
    C: Valanciunas

Bench:

PG: Lucas/Selby-Wroten
    SG: Fields/Anderson-Ross
    SF: Kleiza/McGuire
    PF: Ed-Amir/Acy
    C: Gray

JOSH SMITH TRADE:

PG: Lowry
    SG: Derozan
    SF: Fields
    PF: Smith
    C: Valanciunas

Bench:

PG: Calderon/Lucas
    SG: Ross-Anderson
    SF: Kleiza/McGuire
    PF: Ed/Amir/Acy
    C: Gray

Just my thoughts

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    You'd give those 3 big minutes in a playoff series? 2 of them play the same position as the one guy that can hit the 3, and playing 2 of Lowry, Calderon and Lucas in a small ball lineup would instantly negate any defensive gains Smith brings.
    Not necessarily big minutes but between the pg and sg spots there is minutes for them. However I don't necessarily put the same emphasis on 3 point shooting being a must in order to win a playoff series as you do. Being an elite level defensive team like Detroit in their most recent elite years they were able to win with Billups being the Olympic player with range beyond the arc I believe. Indiana is also a good example of a team that wins with defense. Don't get me wrong I see the validity in your point but I think being an elite defense allows for you to win in different ways.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Not necessarily big minutes but between the pg and sg spots there is minutes for them. However I don't necessarily put the same emphasis on 3 point shooting being a must in order to win a playoff series as you do. Being an elite level defensive team like Detroit in their most recent elite years they were able to win with Billups being the Olympic player with range beyond the arc I believe. Indiana is also a good example of a team that wins with defense. Don't get me wrong I see the validity in your point but I think being an elite defense allows for you to win in different ways.
    Detroit had Billups, Prince and Sheed all able to knock down a 3, with Rip Hamilton also able to hit them even if he focussed on the midrange. Yeah they were ugly as hell on the offensive end, but you're not gonna see another defence like that with the league's current rules and number of teams playing with stretch 4s, especially without a Ben Wallace in the middle.

The Raps would be relying on DD and Fields to be lockdown wing defenders in order to become an elite defence, and that strikes me as unlikely. Not to mention JV has a long way to go before you can call him an elite defender in the middle - it might take 3-4 years if he gets there at all, center is a really tough position to learn defensively. I just don't think Smith makes the team an elite defensive unit without a lot more help.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'm loving the AA love of late but, seriously, he is a really great role/depth player. Every dog has his day and AA is having his right now but I don't think that is consistent production moving forward.

Here is an idea: jose/ross/davis/2nd round picks for Gay. Then: Bargnani/2nd round pick for Smith.

Lowry
    DD
    Gay
    Smith
    JV

Oh. My. God.
    memphis going on a diffirent direction? they wanna tank now?

Post Thanks / Like

We were ranked somewhere in the 12 to 15 range defensively last season and that was without JV or Lowry and with Bargnani. I don't think it's too optimistic to think that with the newcomers as well as Smith and AB gone that we couldn't get into the top 5, which I consider elite.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    We were ranked somewhere in the 12 to 15 range defensively last season and that was without JV or Lowry and with Bargnani. I don't think it's too optimistic to think that with the newcomers as well as Smith and AB gone that we couldn't get into the top 5, which I consider elite.
    Even IF that happens (and I still don't think it would, but this is all speculation and neither of us is right or wrong), they'd be the Scott Skiles Bucks. You gotta be able to play both ends.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, well seeing as that we are talking about a scenario that is likely to never happen, speculation is all we have.

Thread Information