Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rudy Gay vs Josh Smith....whom would your want the Raps to target?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    You'd give those 3 big minutes in a playoff series? 2 of them play the same position as the one guy that can hit the 3, and playing 2 of Lowry, Calderon and Lucas in a small ball lineup would instantly negate any defensive gains Smith brings.
    Not necessarily big minutes but between the pg and sg spots there is minutes for them. However I don't necessarily put the same emphasis on 3 point shooting being a must in order to win a playoff series as you do. Being an elite level defensive team like Detroit in their most recent elite years they were able to win with Billups being the Olympic player with range beyond the arc I believe. Indiana is also a good example of a team that wins with defense. Don't get me wrong I see the validity in your point but I think being an elite defense allows for you to win in different ways.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      Not necessarily big minutes but between the pg and sg spots there is minutes for them. However I don't necessarily put the same emphasis on 3 point shooting being a must in order to win a playoff series as you do. Being an elite level defensive team like Detroit in their most recent elite years they were able to win with Billups being the Olympic player with range beyond the arc I believe. Indiana is also a good example of a team that wins with defense. Don't get me wrong I see the validity in your point but I think being an elite defense allows for you to win in different ways.
      Detroit had Billups, Prince and Sheed all able to knock down a 3, with Rip Hamilton also able to hit them even if he focussed on the midrange. Yeah they were ugly as hell on the offensive end, but you're not gonna see another defence like that with the league's current rules and number of teams playing with stretch 4s, especially without a Ben Wallace in the middle.

The Raps would be relying on DD and Fields to be lockdown wing defenders in order to become an elite defence, and that strikes me as unlikely. Not to mention JV has a long way to go before you can call him an elite defender in the middle - it might take 3-4 years if he gets there at all, center is a really tough position to learn defensively. I just don't think Smith makes the team an elite defensive unit without a lot more help.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I'm loving the AA love of late but, seriously, he is a really great role/depth player. Every dog has his day and AA is having his right now but I don't think that is consistent production moving forward.

Here is an idea: jose/ross/davis/2nd round picks for Gay. Then: Bargnani/2nd round pick for Smith.

Lowry
        DD
        Gay
        Smith
        JV

Oh. My. God.
        memphis going on a diffirent direction? they wanna tank now?

Comment

We were ranked somewhere in the 12 to 15 range defensively last season and that was without JV or Lowry and with Bargnani. I don't think it's too optimistic to think that with the newcomers as well as Smith and AB gone that we couldn't get into the top 5, which I consider elite.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            We were ranked somewhere in the 12 to 15 range defensively last season and that was without JV or Lowry and with Bargnani. I don't think it's too optimistic to think that with the newcomers as well as Smith and AB gone that we couldn't get into the top 5, which I consider elite.
            Even IF that happens (and I still don't think it would, but this is all speculation and neither of us is right or wrong), they'd be the Scott Skiles Bucks. You gotta be able to play both ends.

Comment

LOL, well seeing as that we are talking about a scenario that is likely to never happen, speculation is all we have.

Comment

Working...
              X