Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rudy Gay vs Josh Smith....whom would your want the Raps to target?

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching this team, i think what they need is an old school low post big man. A guy that would put up points, rebound the ball and be a defensive presence inside.

Al Jefferson in my opinion is the type of player this team needs.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, i did a little research and found out that Jefferson is a UFA after this season. He should be Raps #1 target in my opinion.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Watching this team, i think what they need is an old school low post big man. A guy that would put up points, rebound the ball and be a defensive presence inside.

Al Jefferson in my opinion is the type of player this team needs.
    Might want to keep your eye on this young kid, Valenchewanus, that the Raptors have picked up. :-)

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'm loving the AA love of late but, seriously, he is a really great role/depth player. Every dog has his day and AA is having his right now but I don't think that is consistent production moving forward.

Here is an idea: jose/ross/davis/2nd round picks for Gay. Then: Bargnani/2nd round pick for Smith.

Lowry
    DD
    Gay
    Smith
    JV

Oh. My. God.
    I think I just sh!t myself....
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    +1

That lineup can contend against any team in the East (well maybe minus Anderson and sub in T. Ross keeping in mind that they'll need atleast a year to gel), in a seven game series with the exception of Miami and a healthy Chicago. You put Gay in at SF and keep Bargnani at PF and you become suceptible against every defensive minded team in the East (Indiana, Boston etc..), especially in the playoffs when the game slows down and teams start focusing on D.
    I have to ask you how a team with only one guy that can hit a 3 could possibly win a playoff series. All you'd have to do to stop the Raps with Smith instead of Bargs would be to pack the paint and watch those long 2s clang off the rim all day. I'm assuming Fields continues to play the 3 in that scenario - we have no idea when Ross will be ready to play the wing.

To win in the playoffs you need both good O AND good D. I have more faith in Casey's ability to get guys like DD and Gay to defend than I do in his ability to design an offense that could compensate for a lack of scorers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote c_bcm wrote: View Post
    with no bench. no thanks.
    Amir, Lucas, Anderson and Gray would be more than capable of relieving the starters. With a starting unit like that, a deep bench is much less of a concern. The starters would be playing 35+ minutes per night.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    I have more faith in Casey's ability to get guys like DD and Gay to defend than I do in his ability to design an offense that could compensate for a lack of scorers.
    A big +1

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread is so Gay.

your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    By the way, i did a little research and found out that Jefferson is a UFA after this season. He should be Raps #1 target in my opinion.
    As the roster is currently looking for next year, the most the Raps can offer is $5M per year for 3 years. I have a feeling he is going to demand a little bit more.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    I have to ask you how a team with only one guy that can hit a 3 could possibly win a playoff series. All you'd have to do to stop the Raps with Smith instead of Bargs would be to pack the paint and watch those long 2s clang off the rim all day. I'm assuming Fields continues to play the 3 in that scenario - we have no idea when Ross will be ready to play the wing.

To win in the playoffs you need both good O AND good D. I have more faith in Casey's ability to get guys like DD and Gay to defend than I do in his ability to design an offense that could compensate for a lack of scorers.
    Calderon, JL3, T. Ross. We aren't subject to playing the starting 5 at all times are we?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Calderon, JL3, T. Ross. We aren't subject to playing the starting 5 at all times are we?
    You'd give those 3 big minutes in a playoff series? 2 of them play the same position as the one guy that can hit the 3, and playing 2 of Lowry, Calderon and Lucas in a small ball lineup would instantly negate any defensive gains Smith brings.

Post Thanks / Like

@Nilanka

I respectfully disagree with you. Having Smith does not account for all the benefits a deep bench has. In fact an arguement could be made that we would be a lot worse, and certainly 1 injury away from the lottery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote c_bcm wrote: View Post
    @Nilanka

I respectfully disagree with you. Having Smith does not account for all the benefits a deep bench has. In fact an arguement could be made that we would be a lot worse, and certainly 1 injury away from the lottery.
    Smith alone doesn't replace a deep bench. But Smith AND Gay? That's as fierce a starting unit we can ever dream of.

Injuries are a worry. But no more so than any elite teams who rely heavily on their star players.

Post Thanks / Like

Dunno if this is the thread for this, but id rather move bargs and whoever (Calderon?) for a real post playing big like Jefferson. Being able to throw the ball in and get points (nevermind the rebounding) is key when the team is struggling to score. I salvitate at the number of putback baskets we'd get between A-Jeff and flying V.

Jefferson has his own defensive deficiencies but what he provides in rebounding and scoring in the paint i feel negates it enough.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Dunno if this is the thread for this, but id rather move bargs and whoever (Calderon?) for a real post playing big like Jefferson. Being able to throw the ball in and get points (nevermind the rebounding) is key when the team is struggling to score. I salvitate at the number of putback baskets we'd get between A-Jeff and flying V.

Jefferson has his own defensive deficiencies but what he provides in rebounding and scoring in the paint i feel negates it enough.
    Well that solves it then. We'll get 4 teams in on this trade and in the end the Raps will have:

Lowry
    DD
    Gay
    Jefferson
    JV

Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post

This strategy seemed to work well for the Pacers (by acquiring West). Jefferson might realistically be available this year being an unrestricted free agent....and with Utah being pretty high on Favours and Kanter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    This strategy seemed to work well for the Pacers (by acquiring West). Jefferson might realistically be available this year being an unrestricted free agent....and with Utah being pretty high on Favours and Kanter.
    Millsap is available too, apparently for a guard. Kleiza to Denver, Chandler to Utah, Millsap to Toronto. Add some draft picks and/or cash, as needed to appropriately sweeten the pot and get it done.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Millsap is available too, apparently for a guard. Kleiza to Denver, Chandler to Utah, Millsap to Toronto. Add some draft picks and/or cash, as needed to appropriately sweeten the pot and get it done.
    I'm not sure if there is a full understanding of just how good Milsap is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure if there is a full understanding of just how good Milsap is.
    Definitely agree.
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i kinda want J Smoove cause Primo Pasta has been playing like shit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information