OKC versus Toronto - Tuesday, November 6th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OKC versus Toronto - Tuesday, November 6th

The worst thing that can happen to this Thunder season is something that’s reared its head in every single game thus far. That’s egos creeping in and causing players to believe they’re better than. Tonight, much like the first two nights of the 2012-13 season, there was a ton of barking among Thunder players. At the end of the first quarter, Thabo Sefolosha and Russell Westbrook had to be separated from exchanging words as they walked to the bench. It was a show of anger that surprisingly was also seen from the same two as they walked off the court at halftime Friday night. Later, Durant chewed out Serge Ibaka for failing to grab a rebound. And of course there was the usual head-shaking between Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins whenever the paint went left unprotected. The problem is everyone has an opinion and everyone is sharing it. It can’t be that way. There should be two voices on the court. Durant’s. And Westbrook’s. Everyone else needs to fall in line. What’s happening now is that everyone is acting like they know best, almost like they’re the reason for the team’s success, like their poop doesn’t stink and the man’s next to them does. And you can’t help but wonder how much of the attitude has to do with last year’s success and whether it will soon subside or only fester and grow fangs.

http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumbli...04-thunder-95/

ESPN Preview:

The Oklahoma City Thunder are off to a slow start, but newcomer Kevin Martin isn't.

Neither is Martin's former backcourt mate, Kyle Lowry, who is also making quite an impression with his new team.

Off to their worst start since relocating from Seattle, the Thunder close out a three-game homestand Tuesday night when the Toronto Raptors try to build on their first victory.

Acquired Oct. 27 in the deal that sent James Harden to Houston, Martin has given the Thunder (1-2) a legitimate third scoring option behind Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. Martin is 12 of 17 from 3-point range and is averaging 20.7 points off the bench after making six 3s and finishing with a team-best 28 points in Sunday's 104-95 loss to Atlanta.

Martin's production is a positive sign, but the Thunder need to take better care of the ball after their 21 turnovers led to 31 Hawks points.

"We know there is a lot of work to be done and we're going to do it," coach Scott Brooks, whose team also allowed 12 offensive rebounds, told the Thunder's official website. "They know that tomorrow we come back at 11 o'clock and watch some film and try to figure out a few things that we should have done better and go from there."

The Thunder, who opened with five consecutive wins last season, will need to figure out a way to contain Lowry. The Raptors' new point guard leads the team in scoring (23.7 ppg), rebounds (7.3) and assists (7.0).

Lowry and DeMar DeRozan each scored 22 points and grabbed seven boards in Sunday's 105-86 home win over Minnesota.

"He's a very good player and he really gets them going," Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman said of Lowry, who was Martin's teammate in Houston the last two-plus seasons.

Lowry has also been getting the job done on the defensive side, recording 11 of the team's 29 steals. He and DeRozan both had three on Sunday.

"We took a little step forward tonight," coach Dwane Casey said. "We had a lot more possessions because of the (24 Minnesota) turnovers."

Durant, meanwhile, is among the league's worst with 5.3 turnovers per game after committing six for the second consecutive game Sunday.

"I wish I could have had a couple of those turnovers back," said Durant, who is averaging 22.7 points and 14.3 boards.

Toronto (1-2) is among the league's best with 11.7 turnovers per contest.

The Raptors are also among the NBA leaders in first-quarter scoring with an average of 28.3 points. Toronto is 9 for 16 from beyond the arc in that period.

That kind of early production could cause problems for an Oklahoma City team that trailed by eight after 12 minutes against the Hawks.

"We can't start the game off in cruise mode. We've got to go take it," Durant said. "A team's not going to just let us feel our way into the game."

The Thunder, who didn't lose their third game last season until their 15th contest, haven't dropped two straight in the regular season since snapping a season-worst three-game skid April 8 with a 91-75 home win over Toronto.

Oklahoma City is 3-1 at home in this series.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=400277771

The Raptors surprised a number of people last year with some early season road wins. Hopefully they can do the same again this year and OKC would be a great start!

LETS GO RAPS!

I am really pumped for the game. Love it when the game is broadcasted in the States. Lowry and Demar showed up vs. Minni, but Bargs has got to show up for us to take down OKC.

Comment

The Fans chose Raps Vs OKC! The US fans be recognizing us. We gotta show em how boss we are

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        The Fans chose Raps Vs OKC! The US fans be recognizing us. We gotta show em how boss we are
        Lowry and Derozan are going to have tough games vs. Westbrook/Sefolosha. Both are gonna be under pressure throughout the whole game. Lowry trying to guard the aggressive Westbrook, and Derozan trying to score on one of the best perimeter defenders, Sefolosha.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

This should be a good game. We really have to take advantage of the turnover we get. With Westbrook and Durant there should be a couple from each. This is a very pivotal road game. If we get this W the confidence of this team will go through the roof and that's what you need on the road. Belief you can win. I agree Bargnani has to show up. He either has to get Serge in foul trouble or be draining jumpers so he cant sag off.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            This should be a good game. We really have to take advantage of the turnover we get. With Westbrook and Durant there should be a couple from each. This is a very pivotal road game. If we get this W the confidence of this team will go through the roof and that's what you need on the road. Belief you can win. I agree Bargnani has to show up. He either has to get Serge in foul trouble or be draining jumpers so he cant sag off.
            If Toronto can force OKC to play one-on-one, and shoot contested jump-shots, the Raptors can take advantage and run down their throats. BUT, the Raps can't turn the ball over either for they're so good in the open court as well.

Comment

I already thought the Raps would be able to pull off this upset and after reading this it gives me a little more confidence in that. If the Raps can get off to a quick start and continue to take care of the ball like they have they can make this a contest. I'm just hoping this isn't the game where the Thunder just put everything together and dominate.

Comment

I wish OKC was 2-1 or even 3-0 because with a losing record there is no way that the Thunder are not going to be thoroughly prepared to play the Raptors tomorrow.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                  I wish OKC was 2-1 or even 3-0 because with a losing record there is no way that the Thunder are not going to be thoroughly prepared to play the Raptors tomorrow.
                  Agreed. They're looking at this game as a 'must-win.'

Comment

I just can't see the Raptors able to shut down Kevin Durant with the players they do have.

Hope the Raptors can catch the Thunder still napping from the early season.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                      I just can't see the Raptors able to shut down Kevin Durant with the players they do have.

Hope the Raptors can catch the Thunder still napping from the early season.
                      Nobody can shut down KD.

I am looking forward to a heavy dose of McGuire - earn your roster spot, Dom!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Nobody can shut down KD.

I am looking forward to a heavy dose of McGuire - earn your roster spot, Dom!
                        Absolutely. As a wise man once said (RE: Scalabrini) "You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him." And that's exactly what we should be thinking about KD. As far as I'm concerned, McGuire needs to finish the game with the EXACT same minutes played as KD down to the seconds. He's the only one with the footspeed to keep up, and it's not like were losing a ton of offence with Fields off the floor.

Also, Bargs has GOT to show up for us to have a shot at winning. It's one thing for him to put extra pressure on Lowry and DD to score when they're up against Ridnour and Roy. It's another thing for him to do that against Westbrook and Sefolosha especially when it also allows the best shot blocker in the league to sag off his man.

If Bargs is disengaged/throwing up bricks, it's gonna be a long night.

Comment

So far the Raptors have proven they can keep up with teams that have playoff aspirations. Now they need to prove they can keep up with teams that have championship aspirations LET'S GO DINO'S!!!!

Comment

OKC definitely have lots of motivation on this one
                            1. bounce back game
                            2. home court
                            3. THEY WOULD WANT TO BEAT THE RAPTORS SPECIFICALLY & WISH US A BAD SEASON SO THEY'LL HAVE A HIGH LOTTERY PICK NEXT YEAR

Comment

I feel that OKC will win tomorrow.

One reason: They will shoot 45 free throws.

I'm not trolling, I'm just saying. Whistles on the slightest touch. I just have a feeling.

That being said, let's go Raptors. I hope they make a statement and beat this overrated NBA darling of a team, despite the 45-50 free throws they will take. Let's go Raptors!
                              “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Working...
                              X