No announcement yet.

OKC versus Toronto - Tuesday, November 6th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think the key to beating the thunder is getting westbrook to try and be the man. when they spread the ball around and work it through durant they're near impossible to beat, but when westbrook decides hes going to win the game himself and ends up taking 20+ shots they can implode. look for lowry to be a agitator.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      i think the key to beating the thunder is getting westbrook to try and be the man. when they spread the ball around and work it through durant they're near impossible to beat, but when westbrook decides hes going to win the game himself and ends up taking 20+ shots they can implode. look for lowry to be a agitator.
      +1

Look for Lowry to be an agitator every game, that is Lowry and why he is perfect for this team.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Ah, but Durant has been the facilitator recently and has been turning the ball over quite a bit lately...
        TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
          Will be nice to see OKC. Love watching Durant play. Plus, playing OKC means we'll get good officials for the first time this year. That will be a welcome change.

Looking for Val to bounce back after a couple of bleh games. Guards need to get him some easy looks.
          NBA refs are excellent. They are well paid and well trained. Every game there are contentious calls that could go either way and yes, they do miss some plays on occasion but they are UNBIASED and NOT working against the Raptors. Over the years the game has become more physical because much of the contact is now deemed "incidental" to minimize play stoppage and keep the game flowing.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

Some good analysis. People get overwhelmed by the athleticism, forget about how many other (negative) ways he can influence the game.

That last missed defensive assignment was....wow; I remember when I was in high school...

Comment

Jaworski wrote: View Post
              I love Val and hope for great success and a long illustrious career... but so far he seems to be outplayed and outWEIGHED by every center we've faced so far... Hibbert, Lopez, Pekovic. Physically speaking, he looks like a kid playing with men. I wonder if he can gain another 20lbs of muscle in the next couple of years or else he's gonna get beat up.
              I'll disagree a little here. Pekovic out-muscled him but Pekovic can out-muscle most of the centers in the NBA. It's more a case of poor positioning. In transition, he needs to pick up closer to the foul line instead of waiting until the offensive player is already in the lane. It's too late by then. Once they catch the ball, he has a tendency to really lean on guys, which is fine except that once they feel an opening on one side, a drop step means a layup. Lopez and Pekovic both took advantage of this.

The center position is the hardest defensive position to play because you have to coordinate the defense, be available for weakside help, play solid man-to-man, get into rebounding position, and, in the NBA, play the pick and roll 23 feet from the basket, too. Then, he has to worry about being productive offensively. It's gonna take time.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                NBA refs are excellent. They are well paid and well trained. Every game there are contentious calls that could go either way and yes, they do miss some plays on occasion but they are UNBIASED and NOT working against the Raptors. Over the years the game has become more physical because much of the contact is now deemed "incidental" to minimize play stoppage and keep the game flowing.
                Really?

The NBA is far far less physical than it has been.

In this case, there was no technical, ejection, flagarant foul, suspension.... nothing.

Also in today's game there is no handchecking on the perimeter. I can only shudder to think what Jordan would have done without handchecking.

Watch some of the highlights of the Detroit Pistons Bad Boys years:

Then there is Riley with the Knicks in the 1990's:

I don't think the league is ANYWHERE NEAR as physical as it was 15 years ago and earlier. Basically since the end of handchecking.

Comment

Who said it had anything to do with bias against Toronto? What are you talking about? Nothing to do with bias. Better officials referee the better teams in the NBA. It has been that way for 30 years. If you get the better refs, you get better officiating. Not sure why this is hard to understand.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    Who said it had anything to do with bias against Toronto? What are you talking about? Nothing to do with bias. Better officials referee the better teams in the NBA. It has been that way for 30 years. If you get the better refs, you get better officiating. Not sure why this is hard to understand.
                    Your source?

Comment

Posted this in DeMar thread, but I'll re-post here:

I want to see DeMar be aggressive against Martin, I think he has the strength advantage there and could force his way to the line.

He'll likely see a lot more of Thabo though, and that's a tough match up for nearly every wing in the league. The key in that situation is to get DeMar involved within the flow of the offense, be it coming off screens, in transition, or on basket cuts. If the ball sticks to DeMar's hands and he starts going ISO against one of the league's premier defenders, they're in for a long night.

And yes, McGuire better be getting some serious burn tonight!

Comment

Hoping for a split on this mini road trip.

On paper, a Dirkless (and Marionless) Mavericks team seem to be weaker than OKC, but a road game on the 2nd night of back-to-backs have historically been trouble for us.

Comment

I think people are excited for this game. Hasn't started yet and already on the 3rd page of the thread. Lovin' it!

On a more serious note, I'm really hoping Lowry outplays Westbrook tonight. But unfortunately, we'll also need Derozan to perform well against a tough defender, as well as Bargniani. It'll be a tough one, but if Duane Casey has taught us anything, it is that any game is winnable with him calling the shots

Comment

As the game is on nbatv....I guess it won't be on our nbatv, just tsn. We should be able to find an nbatv feed I guess. Btw, arse, I respect you but how in good conscience can you call raps by 2. Anything can happen but that doesn't mean you predict it. Maybe I should read the whole write up first

Comment

Your source?
                              In the NJ/Toronto game, not one official called a single playoff game last year. Against, Minny, the three officials called a total of 3 games.

Indiana? 12 playoff games between the 3 officials. Tonight, Garretson is on the crew - widely recognized as one of the top NBA officials. 9 playoff games last year.

EDIT: I looked at this very fast. Someone may want to check the numbers on NBAstuffer but the general point still stands.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                Really?

The NBA is far far less physical than it has been.

In this case, there was no technical, ejection, flagarant foul, suspension.... nothing.

Also in today's game there is no handchecking on the perimeter. I can only shudder to think what Jordan would have done without handchecking.

Watch some of the highlights of the Detroit Pistons Bad Boys years:

Then there is Riley with the Knicks in the 1990's:

I don't think the league is ANYWHERE NEAR as physical as it was 15 years ago and earlier. Basically since the end of handchecking.
                                The rules are clearer now than 15 years ago. I wasn't referring to hand checking at all. It's the shooter initiated contact on drives to the basket in which the call almost always went to the shooter in the past but now the defender is allowed some verticallity. It's still a judgement call but there is a lot of contact these days that are non calls and that's the way it should be as long as it is consistent that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X