Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SAM MITCHELL: "Vince Carter didn't want to get traded (the day before he was dealt)"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is old news. As much as I don't like Doug Smith from The Star, he's been reporting this for years (something he confirms in his blog today). This isn't about revisionist history, this actually happen. It's not to say Vince was blameless, he quit on the team, but if you think he's the only superstar that's pulled this, you're crazy. Read up on Hakeem Olajuwon back in the early 90s and he's demands to be traded, or even Kobe just a few years ago going on the radio with Steven A Smith. Athletes all the time have these snits and demands and they can change their mind at a drop of the hat. I can't dispute the desire to trade him. It was probably time. But if they kept him and worked things out, it wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened. And it wasn't like he was wrong about being mad, it's pretty obvious that this team has been run like a monkey circus. And why are we talking about something that happened almost 10 FRIGGIN YEARS ago?

As a fan of this team, I've long 'forgiven' Vince. He did what he felt was correct and from everything I've read about him (and meeting him twice), he's not a bad guy. Elliot Friedman on the Fan said it best today: He was a follower and he listened to the wrong people. You get older, you have kids, you live and you learn. He was a part of the most exciting time for this team and I choose to remember him like that. Better him that the apocalyptic time that was "Jason Kapono: Starting Small Forward".

Comment

Vince isn't the first to demand a trade, but the other guys that you mentioned, Kobe for example, never stopped playing hard. The hatred isn't because he wanted out, it's because he stopped trying long before he was out. People rip on LeBron for his last game with Cleveland when in the final few minutes of the game vs Boston he quit. Well he quit for less than 1 quarter of basketball, Vince quit for a quarter of a season.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
        Vince isn't the first to demand a trade, but the other guys that you mentioned, Kobe for example, never stopped playing hard. The hatred isn't because he wanted out, it's because he stopped trying long before he was out. People rip on LeBron for his last game with Cleveland when in the final few minutes of the game vs Boston he quit. Well he quit for less than 1 quarter of basketball, Vince quit for a quarter of a season.
        well put

Comment

I agree, as much as I disliked those last few days with Vince barely resembling a basketball player, I think Babs definitely played a huge role in setting our franchise back. I'm over the whole VC thing and hearing all this now is nice for once. Even though VC is a shell of his former self in terms of not being a high flier, I'd take him over most of the guys we have on our team right about now.

On another note, there's too many what if's floating around... it's hard to think about it. What if TMac VC stayed, what if The Dream wasn't a nightmare, what if, etc... It's time to move on.
          #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

what ifs are fun but depressing at the same time..my all time raps team def. could hang with the best.

Stoudamire/Alvin/Lowry
            VC/Demar/Jalen Rose
            Tmac/Christie/Mo Pete
            Bosh/Oakley/A.Davis
            Camby/Valanciunas/Willis

if only we could have had these guys together
            Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Fri Nov 9, 2012, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Vince didn't get along with that hack Rafer Alston, and the stupid organization backed Alston, so Vince quit on the team. But the team started it. They should have shipped Alston out of town as quickly as possible and fired Mitchell. Superstar players deserve special treatment because they're the ones doing all of the hard work on the court. The Raps weren't winning games because of middling time-wasters like Alston.

Comment

Vince was traded because he asked to be traded. Just because he changed his mind later doesn't make it the Organisations or Babcocks fault. Raptors are better off having nothing to do with a player who feels a certain way once and then decides otherwise. I do believe that his trade value diminished the moment his demand for a trade went public but I don't believe New Jerseys offer was the best one. That's the only thing one can blame Babcock for.
                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Vince Carter had the greatest influence on young Canadian basketball players back in the day than any other NBA player including Steve Nash. His work in the community was second to none. He put Toronto on the map in basketball circles. And he made me a die hard Raptors fan.

So when I hear he wanted to stay,the Raptors should have made it happen. I am sorry Rob Babcock but Michael Jordan reneged on a deal for Tyson Chandler /Jose Calderon in 2010 after it was all said and done. The sorry state of Raptor basketball can be laid at the feet of management back then and still today.

Comment

Vince wanted out, I don't think anyone can think otherwise if they watched the raptors play during those days. The constant pouting and lack of effort were on full display every time he stepped on the floor. He even admitted after getting traded to the Nets that he didn't give a full effort here in Toronto. Yeah. That sounds like someone who didn't want to get traded.
                    Just retire already man and fade into the distance. Please.

Comment

Working...
                    X