Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vince Carter would like to have his Raptors jersey retired...

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Put it this way, if you compared Carter's accomplishments to any of the Celtics or Lakers retired jerseys (Russell, Bird, McHale, Worthy, West, etc.), would Carter come anywhere close? Of course not. That's the level of brilliance we should be expecting for a player to have his number retired in Toronto. If not, we're simply playing into the little brother complex by essentially saying, "he's not hall of fame worthy, but Carter's good enough for Toronto".
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So here are the career numbers for Vince and Andre. Vince on top and Andre underneath. I'm not saying Andre's numbers are great, just that I don't see anything in Vince's numbers that make me want to retire his jersey. Similar rebounds, better assists and steals, but worse turnovers, and an extra 6 points a game.

RB AST ST TO PTS
    5.1 3.9 1.2 2.16 21.4
    4.9 1.3 0.4 1.7 15.4

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

whats funny with those numbers it shows how a "injury prone & lazy" SG named VC can grab more rebounds per then a 7footer drafted first overall LOL

hate him or love him he did put Raptors on the map.. & is still the most dynamic player weve had..he helped us to our only playoff wins & was ROTY & Dunk Champ in our jersey...i dont think we should retire his number or anything but i do think honoring his jersey much like Mats Sundin is Fitting..after all Mats never won shit in T.O either..& left on a sour note too albeit not as bad as VC departure..personally i think Bosh's exit was WAY worse...at least we had the opportunity to trade VC..it was Babcock who fucked all that up for us..

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    I would like Carter to choke on deez nuts but I don't see that happening anytime either. If they decide to raise his jersey to the rafters I'm buying a ticket just so I can go and boo my head off.
    Wow. Move on.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    whats funny with those numbers it shows how a "injury prone & lazy" SG named VC can grab more rebounds per then a 7footer drafted first overall LOL

hate him or love him he did put Raptors on the map.. & is still the most dynamic player weve had..he helped us to our only playoff wins & was ROTY & Dunk Champ in our jersey...i dont think we should retire his number or anything but i do think honoring his jersey much like Mats Sundin is Fitting..after all Mats never won shit in T.O either..& left on a sour note too albeit not as bad as VC departure..personally i think Bosh's exit was WAY worse...at least we had the opportunity to trade VC..it was Babcock who fucked all that up for us..
    This

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is anything left that Vince (et all) can say that will change anyone's minds anymore. It's so far in the past that people who haven't forgiven him by now never will.

Truthfully I think his jersey should be retired, but for obvious reasons it never will because that ceremony would just be one ugly mess of idiots booing the greatest Toronto Raptor of all time. Can you imagine how embarrassing that would be for the city of Toronto if that were televised nationally?
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Starter Fuchan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Like most said, retiring his jersey tell everyone what greatness means in toronto. Winning a dunk contest, getting to the second round of the playoffs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fuchan wrote: View Post
    Like most said, retiring his jersey tell everyone what greatness means in toronto. Winning a dunk contest, getting to the second round of the playoffs.
    dont forget the Rookie of the year & all-star selections.. i agree with most that VC screwed up big time..but the fact is Babcock made a fantastic mess of things in his time here & he's to blame too..we still havent made it back to respectability all these years later.. he royaly fucked us with the VC deal..

Post Thanks / Like

dont forget the Rookie of the year & all-star selections.. i agree with most that VC screwed up big time..but the fact is Babcock made a fantastic mess of things in his time here & he's to blame too..we still havent made it back to respectability all these years later.. he royaly fucked us with the VC deal..
    I agree, it turned into a big shit show. I just don't think he did enough to merit a retired jersey. If he stayed, who knows...

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hell no. Fuck carter. We don't retire a jersey till we win a damn championship, i feel like slapping anyone who suggests we retire his jersey.

Post Thanks / Like

He's just trying to line up his next payday. "Whats the name of that canadian team again?.. that right, the raptors. Tell my agent to give them a call, because I'm starting to get old as shit."

Post Thanks / Like

Of course he says he wants his jersey retired. It'll make him feel like he accomplished something, when he's really just a lazy piece of shit. I swear if the Raptors retire his jersey i will never watch another raptors game again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Of course he says he wants his jersey retired. It'll make him feel like he accomplished something, when he's really just a lazy piece of shit. I swear if the Raptors retire his jersey i will never watch another raptors game again
    Agreed. It would be nice for the raptors to establish some history, but some history is better forgotten

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather retire a piece of bread before vince carter

Post Thanks / Like

i agree totally but we dont need to retire his jersey to honor it..Retiring it also meens retiring his number...im not for that at all that should be left for true greats like MJ & Magic... but u can still honor it by raising to the rafters..much the way the leafs have done for Mats..

& i think VC will go to the hall aswell... he is after all the most prolific dunker the league has ever seen..& his carreer numbers are actually fairly good. maybe i need to lay off the kush but still LOL
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Thu Nov 8th, 2012 at 06:09 PM.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree totally but we dont need to retire his jersey to honor it..Retiring it also meens retiring his number...im not for that at all that should be left for true greats like MJ & Magic... but u can still honor it by raising to the rafters..much the way the leafs have done for Mats..

& i think VC will go to the hall aswell... he is after all the most prolific dunker the league has ever seen..& his carreer numbers are actually fairly good. maybe i need to lay off the kush but still LOL
    I will be surprised if VC makes the Hall. His numbers are good, but not elite. When you're numbers aren't elite, you better have rings and/or be well liked/respected. VC has none of those things. The Hall, for better or worse, is voted and a lot of people, outside of Toronto as well, didn't like the way he handled his exit.

Post Thanks / Like

In Vince's 20 games leading up to the trade, his numbers were:

16 pts, 3 asts, 3 rebs, 69% FT, 32% 3s, 41% FG

In Vince's 57 games following the trade, his numbers were:

27 pts, 5 asts, 6 rebs, 82% FT, 42% 3s, 46% FG

Night and day.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    In Vince's 20 games leading up to the trade, his numbers were:

16 pts, 3 asts, 3 rebs, 69% FT, 32% 3s, 41% FG

In Vince's 57 games following the trade, his numbers were:

27 pts, 5 asts, 6 rebs, 82% FT, 42% 3s, 46% FG

Night and day.
    What's funny is that Vince's "I suck, I'm not trying anymore" numbers are on par with DeRozan's numbers :|

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I cannot separate what beats inside one's chest from the exterior skillset.

VC deep down was an asshole and set this franchise back irreparably with his actions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information