If contracts didn't matter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If contracts didn't matter...

I know I'll probably get ripped by people saying it's irrelevant and contracts do matter, but I was wondering how our starting lineup would differ if all the players' contract were identical. Would Fields still start over Anderson and/or Ross? Would Bargnani start over Amir and/or Davis?

I think our starters would be:
    Lowry
    DeRozan
    Anderson
    Johnson
    Valanciunas

With Bargnani, Calderon, Fields, Ross and Davis off the bench.

Honestly, I think this is a question worth asking. Why start an inferior line up simply because you're spending more on them? (For the record, I know Lowry makes less than Jose to start)
    Look at the Spurs, two of their biggest contracts come off the bench. I think Bargnani could be a valuable weapon off the bench in the same way Ginobili is (to a lesser extent).

Maybe not time to make changes yet, but at the rate things are going, that time may not be far away.

I agree that a player's payroll (and draft selection) shouldn't matter. And I agree with your lineup in terms of who deserves it.

As for Bargnani in a 6th man role, I respectfully disagree. Whether starting, or coming off the bench, Bargnani being a PF will ALWAYS be required to rebound and provide help defense. Always, always, always. No matter what Casey does to tweak his schemes, or what Colangelo does to hide his flaws with roster moves, Bargnani will always hurt this team on the defensive end. Always.

We will never be a legitimate team in the Eastern Conference with Bargnani playing heavy minutes.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      I agree that a player's payroll (and draft selection) shouldn't matter. And I agree with your lineup in terms of who deserves it.

As for Bargnani in a 6th man role, I respectfully disagree. Whether starting, or coming off the bench, Bargnani being a PF will ALWAYS be required to rebound and provide help defense. Always, always, always. No matter what Casey does to tweak his schemes, or what Colangelo does to hide his flaws with roster moves, Bargnani will always hurt this team on the defensive end. Always.

We will never be a legitimate team in the Eastern Conference with Bargnani playing heavy minutes.
      I agree, I should have been clearer. By having him in a sixth man role, his minutes would go down.

But what is one of the Raptors biggest problems right now? AWFUL STARTS! Especially on the defensive end. So by at least delaying Andrea's obvious defensive in-capabilities, it would allow the Raptors to not always be climbing out of an early hole.

Comment

I agree - contract,draft position or status around the league shouldn't automatically give you starting spot. I believe in Casey and that he can make this work. We should probably be more patient....probably it is not easy right now.

Comment

Working...
        X