Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Question about cable tv

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    3,488
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Question about cable tv

    Ok. A friend of mine used to live in a basement apt., and her folks were about 20 km away. She had a box that was linked to her parents cable and she was getting all the channels that her parents were paying for, without having to pay a bill of her own. I also used to work with a chap that lived in Milton and was getting his brothers' signal from Burlington. Both were using the same company, one that makes us Red with anger!!

    Does anyone here do this at all? I'm trying to look into this and might try it with a buddy...

    PM me if you don't want to answer out here in the open. Any replies would help!
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  2. #2
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,377
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    Ok. A friend of mine used to live in a basement apt., and her folks were about 20 km away. She had a box that was linked to her parents cable and she was getting all the channels that her parents were paying for, without having to pay a bill of her own. I also used to work with a chap that lived in Milton and was getting his brothers' signal from Burlington. Both were using the same company, one that makes us Red with anger!!

    Does anyone here do this at all? I'm trying to look into this and might try it with a buddy...

    PM me if you don't want to answer out here in the open. Any replies would help!
    Have you tried just hooking it in? Back in my college days I live 200km away from my parents and they had satellite. I purchased a regular dish(nothing special) and they purchased an extra box(stock, no mods). I installed the dish and then was watching TV via their account for four years without issue.

    ... But that was a long time ago and I now have cable. When I moved during the summer to a new city I had to phone the cable company to get my boxes to work right in a different region. I don't know what they did exactly but the menu didn't work right and I hardly got any channels until they fixed it for the new location...

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Have you tried just hooking it in? Back in my college days I live 200km away from my parents and they had satellite. I purchased a regular dish(nothing special) and they purchased an extra box(stock, no mods). I installed the dish and then was watching TV via their account for four years without issue.

    ... But that was a long time ago and I now have cable. When I moved during the summer to a new city I had to phone the cable company to get my boxes to work right in a different region. I don't know what they did exactly but the menu didn't work right and I hardly got any channels until they fixed it for the new location...
    Ya, i used to do something like that.

    I just had to download the new update from the internet and uplpad it to my satelite and it worked like a charm.

    Then they changed the entire database to a new encryption from 2 to 3 and it couldnt be hacked for the longest time. Than they started charging you for the updates once they hacked this number 3 one. It just wasn't worth it,so, i stopped.

    I upgraded my digital cable to hd and the movie network since and I'm content with it.

    Weather is a non-factor,you don't have to download these updates, it's a lot simpler and just as good. Even if you have to pay.

    I do know of this new Direct TV thing going around. Where, i dont know of the details. But,something along the lines of...you pay this guy a one-time payment of a few hundred bucks and he sets you up, than you have to pay for something else i think and then you're good to go.

    I can't remember it clearly,but,I think it ends up being $600 bucks altogether and then you're good.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    3,488
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The thing is I'm not moved in there just yet, I was hoping to clarify the situation before I do. Those companies make you wait up to 2 weeks before they come hook you up and I don't know if I can wait that long!! Good to know other people do similar things though, thanks guys.

    LBF, The problem with DirectTV is that you don't get any Canadian channels. I need my Raptors games and daily news! Might be something worthwhile to look into though...
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wait. Im confused. What companies? What takes two weeks to set up?

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    3,488
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Wait. Im confused. What companies? What takes two weeks to set up?
    The cable companies do man. rogers, bell, cogeco etc. I waited 10 days for them a few years back.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh yeah,ya,ya...i know. I'm pretty sure you can just go and pick up your box and then it's quick,you set it up yourself and then activate it online or over the phone.

    It use to be a bitch.but,i'm pretty sure it's faster now.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •