No announcement yet.

Referee Bias? Discuss, vent, etc..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that was a foul but if you think there's really a bias against Toronto you need to watch other teams feeds when they play against us. Pretty much any contested drive to the hoop in every game could have numerous fouls called on it. NBA refs HAVE to swallow the whistle sometimes because otherwise it'd only be scoring via FT. There were a lot of calls that went our way, Mo Williams shot at the end, Al J's Tech...etc but the real reason Utah had so many more free throws is because they pound it down low and force the action whereas the Raps are a jump shooting team. DD had a great game last night but he hit some ridiculous shots. If the rim isn't as kind this game is a blow out for Utah because on most of his jumpshots he's fading away. Next game he probably misses more of those than he makes. You want whistles? Gotta force the action at the rim, stop shooting so many jumpers and stop moving AWAY from contact.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

I keep waiting for the officiating to turn around. But it doesn't show any sign of doing so.
      Biggest Raptors fan from the Land Down Under

@alexhaggispinch

Toronto Raptors
      Sydney Swans, Melbourne Storm
      Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Stars, LA Angels of Anaheim

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
        No, see the way I see it, if the referees made the right calls tonight, the game would never have reached OT, and the Jazz would have lost by 5+ points in regulation.
        THIS.

If they made the right calls, and Demar had the dozen or so more free throws he DESERVED... The Raps would have ended the game with Quincy Acy on the floor...

I don't think in general there's an anti-Raptors bias amongst the refs... if you watch other teams games, you'll notice a trend... the refs are just plain AWFUL this season... moreso than ever before..

but last night... there was some serious bias going on... Millsap gets a slight tap on the wrist on a jumper, FOUL... Jose gets double teamed and physically mauled... nothing... Demar gets hacked across his face on a drive, nothing...

Comment

I hate making excuses but I'm agreeing the Raps are hard done by when it comes to the whistle. Demar and Dre never get whistles. Lowry seems like the only guy on the team that gets his fair share. He also seems like the only one who stays in stead dialog with the refs. He's always talking to them and knows them by name. Demar hurt his rep with the refs the last two years bitching and moaning. I like that he's back to his rookie form in regards to shutting up and playing. If he keeps that up and helps his reputation with them he'll get some more love and trips to the line.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
            I think the thing is, if you ask fans of any teams most of them will say the refs are screwing them over, especially all the fans of bad teams. There are missed calls for both teams in each game, and sometimes they go one way. I don't think there is any intentional bias though.
            tucas wrote: View Post
            +1 this was the point of my first post. As raptors fans we only realize the missed calls on the raptors because we have a biased. But missed calls happen on every team and I doubt the referees think their reffing Toronto tonight so they better fuck up.
            +2

Comment

i agree the refs are shit.. its not just us..its league wide...many other games u hear the commentators going off about the refs..there horrid, that being said... we as a team need to stop bitching about it during games..just play hard & play through it eventually well get some respect, but if we keep showing up the refs during games we will never get calls.. just as players like LBJ have a rep with the refs. & gets to line alot.. u can also have a rep of always complaining & expecting calls..

all this being said there def. needs to be some kind of investigation league wide as to why the refs are soooo bad.

Comment

In my opinion, this season we've seen some really horrible officiating going against Toronto, on a frighteningly consistent basis. I like to think I'm being as objective as possible here (obviously i'm slightly biased, but not terribly). Anyone else noticing this?
                Paranoia is such a wonderful excuse to explain any undesirable outcome!

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                  i agree the refs are shit.. its not just us..its league wide...many other games u hear the commentators going off about the refs..there horrid, that being said... we as a team need to stop bitching about it during games..just play hard & play through it eventually well get some respect, but if we keep showing up the refs during games we will never get calls.. just as players like LBJ have a rep with the refs. & gets to line alot.. u can also have a rep of always complaining & expecting calls..

all this being said there def. needs to be some kind of investigation league wide as to why the refs are soooo bad.

+1 on this.

I dont think the refs are biased against the Raptors, im putting it on timing. But to dismiss the fact that "bad calls" or "non-calls" do not affect the game, is what i dont agree with. Refs are humans too, they make error in judgements and for all we know, like last night's game, they probably were tired running up and down the floor so they just want to get the game done and over with. and thats what needs to be addressed. refs really have nothing to gain whether a particular team wins or loses, but what needs to be reviewed is how the quality of their calls affect the outcome of the game. but most likely, nothing will ever be done. bottomline is, who cares? not the players, theyre getting paid regardless. not the coaches, theyre getting paid regardless and if they do say something, they get fined. Mark Cuban was the only one who ever put out a complaint because he's the one, as an owner, who's getting lowballed. So up until all the other owners say something, we just have to hope that the raps build 30pt leads every single game.
                  Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Tue Nov 13, 2012, 01:39 PM.

Comment

The NBA has bad officiating. Don't think it is necessarily a raptors bias but there is a players bias. When I hear that the call wasn't made because Derozen is just looking for the call how is that any different than what Dwayne Wade does other than he gets the benefit of the doubt. The officials spend too much time giving the benefit of the doubt to star players. I remember watching a show on NBATV called You Make the Call where Ronnie Nunn basically admitted that they do this. I have said it before they need to call the play not the player. They should take who the player is out of the equation and call the game based on the rules, not player tendency.

The officiating will always be looked at in this league as biased because they had a betting scandal that they swept under the rug rather than being completely transparent about the whole situation. It creates doubt and has hurt the perception of officiating in this league which always seemed to have this player bias.

Comment

indifference legacy

officiating mistakes are always easy to commit against Toronto and get away with it. It is not only about the refs throwing 'jump ball' towards Utah players twice last night or not calling any fouls to protect Toronto players. There is so much more:
                      1. Players do not complain, scream even before contact, and follow refs around demanding explanations. Example - Lakers. Bryant constantly moans "e-e-eey" each time he even gets close to the basket, or opponent. This scream is rehearsed and practiced as a dribbling or a jump shot. Serves dual purposes, firstly, to alert the refs that they need to react and protect him, and secondly, he mobilizes coaching staff to erupt in protest and yell out their opinions and protests, thus, creating an environment of the entitlement.
                      2. Team coach, staff and management are overly complacent, meek, and emotionally disengaged. Examples - blown clock management in Atlanta that cost us a game a couple of years ago, or a severe foul on tj ford which ended up his season. Toronto never protested any of these or any other officiating campaigns that hurt our team. Casey, last night, dejectedly complained with an "oh man..." instead of yelling and protesting and demanding balanced approach to calling fouls, and, heck, even earning a technical foul or two to make the point.
                      3. Toronto crowd is soft too. Idiots feel comfortable coming to our floor making dunks and jeering the crowd, or, kneeing our player to the stomach and then standing on top of him gloating and pumping elbows. Many years ago, I saw a guy in Detroit throw a drink on a woman in raps jersey because she cheered on too much. Opposing teams and players feel ok to come here and disrespect, there is no backlash (hell I hated each time Sacramento played here, it felt we moved to serbia). Refs feel and treat Toronto the same way.

Comment

database_666 wrote: View Post
                        officiating mistakes are always easy to commit against Toronto and get away with it. It is not only about the refs throwing 'jump ball' towards Utah players twice last night or not calling any fouls to protect Toronto players. There is so much more:
                        1. Players do not complain, scream even before contact, and follow refs around demanding explanations. Example - Lakers. Bryant constantly moans "e-e-eey" each time he even gets close to the basket, or opponent. This scream is rehearsed and practiced as a dribbling or a jump shot. Serves dual purposes, firstly, to alert the refs that they need to react and protect him, and secondly, he mobilizes coaching staff to erupt in protest and yell out their opinions and protests, thus, creating an environment of the entitlement.
                        2. Team coach, staff and management are overly complacent, meek, and emotionally disengaged. Examples - blown clock management in Atlanta that cost us a game a couple of years ago, or a severe foul on tj ford which ended up his season. Toronto never protested any of these or any other officiating campaigns that hurt our team. Casey, last night, dejectedly complained with an "oh man..." instead of yelling and protesting and demanding balanced approach to calling fouls, and, heck, even earning a technical foul or two to make the point.
                        3. Toronto crowd is soft too. Idiots feel comfortable coming to our floor making dunks and jeering the crowd, or, kneeing our player to the stomach and then standing on top of him gloating and pumping elbows. Many years ago, I saw a guy in Detroit throw a drink on a woman in raps jersey because she cheered on too much. Opposing teams and players feel ok to come here and disrespect, there is no backlash (hell I hated each time Sacramento played here, it felt we moved to serbia). Refs feel and treat Toronto the same way.
                        lol. Imagining a Lakers practice where Kobe switches from practising free throws to practising yelps while driving to the basket.. I don't think so dude.

1. Disagree. Toronto players moan and yelp just as much as Kobe. It's obnoxious, and I don't think it's a benefit to the game. It may draw the ref's attention, but it's still annoying.
                        2. Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing the coach get tossed every once in a while.
                        3. Disagree. Our fans are plenty loud. Did you imply that you wish our fans would throw beers at other fans for cheering on their team? I think you're missing the mark here, and I don't think it alters the officiating. I was at the Philly game on Saturday and plenty of fans were giving the refs a piece of their mind.

Comment

i dont even care about the refs anymore

why the hell wont the organization, or even the fans, DO SOMETHING about it

its like the entire world went up in arms over the greenbay call, why not for nba, or even your team

Comment

trust me man. If i had the time and money to go to a game with courtside seats i'd let the refs have it every game.

Comment

In my opinion, this season we've seen some really horrible officiating going against Toronto, on a frighteningly consistent basis. I like to think I'm being as objective as possible here (obviously i'm slightly biased, but not terribly). Anyone else noticing this?

Have at it.
                              I totally agree - I am hanging this one on D Casey he wants to win and be liked by everyone... it is just not possible.
                              "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

This was a no call.

Comment

Working...
                                X