View Poll Results: Who deserves more minutes?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Terrence Ross

    10 47.62%
  • Ed Davis

    7 33.33%
  • Amir Johnson

    1 4.76%
  • Linas Kleiza

    2 9.52%
  • Alan Anderson

    0 0%
  • Dominic McGuire

    0 0%
  • Quincy Acy

    1 4.76%
  • John Lucas III

    0 0%
  • Aaron Gray

    0 0%
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Who deserves more minutes?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Who deserves more minutes?

    Every day there seems to be a new thread about why this guy deserves to be playing more than this other guy, so I figured why not take a single assessment and see where people lie. I've not included the starts or Jose (defacto-starter for now) even though many would argue that JV is the guy they want to see more of.

    For me, it is a tough 3 way call between Amir, Ed Davis and Terrance Ross, but in the end I'm going to say Ed Davis. I really like Amir's game, but his minutes have been more consistent than ED and I am very curious to find out what we have in ED. I do want to see more Ross too, but since it is early in his rookie campaign, I can be more patient, but Davis is reaching the point in his career where we need to know what we have.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,058
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ed has been cheated for minutes, and when its Aaron gray or Kleiza coming in at the 4 or Bargs shooting bricks, Ed HAS to see floor time. Especially since I think there is a new attitude about him this season, Id even suggest starting him with Val, and have Amir + Bargs come with Calderon off the bench. Just to see what he could do. I think if we started Ed now, he would get for us a double double every night.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ross needs to play more... he was the #8th pick in a good draft. He may end up being a better player than DeMar who got a ridiculous number of minutes as a rookie.

    Davis would not get more minutes unless Bargnani was traded. Don't see that happening. Our wing rotation is awful, so Ross should be able to play over guys like Anderson/Fields/McGuire but isn't.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    voted for Ross as he's getting shafted the most.

    Ross, Ed and JV in that order. Reasoning not needed as enlightment and plantmars both are bang on!

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ed and Jonas

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There are too many choices in this poll. It would be a sensible question by position, but you're comparing apples and oranges here. I think Ed Davis should see more time, and agree with the idea of starting him and Val to bring on Amir, Calderone and Bargnani as a second unit that should be able to score like crazy against the other team's subs. Demar and Lowry should be enough to handle the scoring in the early going if ED and Val hit the boards hard. It'd be nice to have a scoring wing. As I've said a few times before, why not start Kleiza. I bet there are a few teams out there that would, just to see how he responded.

    Considering our record, I don't see why Casey doesn't experiment a little bit, as long as Lowry and DeRozan are starting. Calderone works well with Amir; Amir is redundant with ED; Fields has been awful; MacGuire has been less than impressive; Bargs has been a defensive liability against other teams' starters. Why not start ED and Kleiza and try to rely on DeRozan and Lowry for scoring in the early going? Those two seem to get most of the early shots anyway. or, at least, it seems to usually take Bargnani a while to heat up. It makes sense to me.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,182
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If they can't get T. Ross in the game with both Fields and Anderson injured then they should send him down to the D-League so he can atleast get some play time and get his confidence up. Sitting on the bench is no way for a rookie to learn how to adapt their college game to the NBA.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    If they can't get T. Ross in the game with both Fields and Anderson injured then they should send him down to the D-League so he can atleast get some play time and get his confidence up. Sitting on the bench is no way for a rookie to learn how to adapt their college game to the NBA.
    That makes a lot of sense actually. Call him back up once [more] injuries take their toll.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Beagle wrote: View Post
    That makes a lot of sense actually. Call him back up once [more] injuries take their toll.
    I agree as well, and i have a funny feeling its about to happen.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think at this stage where the Raptors are right now, i dont think its a matter of who deserves minutes, but rather what the team's goal is, the minutes should be based on.

    And obviously, the team is no contender, and based on the 7 games, probably not even a playoff team. IMO, the younger players or who the team sees as the "future core" should get more minutes. DD, JV, Ross, Lowry, Bargnani, Fields, Gray, Ed, JL3 maybe even Acy should get a lot if not the majority of the minutes.

    If you're aiming at guys in the same positions, then JV over Gray, Ross over AA, JL3 over Jose, Ed over Amir.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    I think at this stage where the Raptors are right now, i dont think its a matter of who deserves minutes, but rather what the team's goal is, the minutes should be based on.

    And obviously, the team is no contender, and based on the 7 games, probably not even a playoff team. IMO, the younger players or who the team sees as the "future core" should get more minutes. DD, JV, Ross, Lowry, Bargnani, Fields, Gray, Ed, JL3 maybe even Acy should get a lot if not the majority of the minutes.

    If you're aiming at guys in the same positions, then JV over Gray, Ross over AA, JL3 over Jose, Ed over Amir.
    Agree 100%, aside from JLIII. I don't think he's part of the future, given he only has 1 more year on his contract and is already 29 (will turn 30 later this month).

    The young guys who are/could be part of the core (or need to be showcased to increase trade value) and have been invested in (ie: either via contract or drafted) should get playing time, not scrubs who definitely aren't part of the long-term future of this team, especially in a season that is looking more and more lost by the game.

    Valanciunas
    Bargnani
    Amir
    Davis
    Fields
    Kleiza
    DeRozan
    Ross
    Lowry
    Calderon (purely due to Lowry injury and to raise trade value)

    As far as I'm concerned, the following players shouldn't be played any more than is absolutely necessary
    Gray
    Acy
    McGuire
    Anderson
    Lucas
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Nov 13th, 2012 at 03:25 PM.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If anyone here plays chess they will know the term "compensation". Right now, the Raps are in a position where they are playing to win games (stated goal of the organization this year) but they are actually losing games and there doesn't seem to be much light at the end of the tunnel.

    My question is this: what's the compensation for losing games?

    It's highly unlikely that they will get a lottery pick. They won't have much, if any, cap room to play with in the offseason. So, to me, the compensation should be that although they are losing, they are doing so with Valanciunas, Ross, Derozan and Lowry. Instead, they are losing games with Aaron Gray, Dominic McGuire, Landry Fields, Linas Kleiza, John Lucas, etc. In other words, a whole bunch of players irrelevant to the future.

    Play the rooks. At least then, if you lose, you are developing pieces for the future rather than just sacrificing your position for nothing, which was the story the last two seasons here.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    If anyone here plays chess they will know the term "compensation". Right now, the Raps are in a position where they are playing to win games (stated goal of the organization this year) but they are actually losing games and there doesn't seem to be much light at the end of the tunnel.

    My question is this: what's the compensation for losing games?

    It's highly unlikely that they will get a lottery pick. They won't have much, if any, cap room to play with in the offseason. So, to me, the compensation should be that although they are losing, they are doing so with Valanciunas, Ross, Derozan and Lowry. Instead, they are losing games with Aaron Gray, Dominic McGuire, Landry Fields, Linas Kleiza, John Lucas, etc. In other words, a whole bunch of players irrelevant to the future.

    Play the rooks. At least then, if you lose, you are developing pieces for the future rather than just sacrificing your position for nothing, which was the story the last two seasons here.
    Agree. And who knows, they might win. Ross and JV were high picks and have been winners in their young careers. Unlike the other ones you've mentioned, who are either coming back from Europe, undrafted or waived. Sounds unfair, but thats how it is.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ed Davis is the guy I voted for since he is basically getting shafted, but I'd also like to see more of Val and Ross. In particular I'd like to see some of this line up

    Lowry
    Ross
    Demar
    Ed
    Val

    Which is basically what I think (hope) the starting line up will be in 2-3 years.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •