Why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why

I don't want to sound so negative here after the win. But....

- Why the hell did Amir all of a sudden became the #1 option on offence in the 4th?
    - Did DeRozan even got the ball in the 4th? even Jack Armstrong was perplexed that DD wasn't getting any touches in the low post in the 4th.
    - Bargnani once again disappeared in the 4th and pretty much non factor the whole game. What's new?
    - JV seriously needs more playing time
    - Execution in the 4th was brutal. I mean, they only scored 5 freakin pts!! That must be a team record or an NBA record.

Positive:

- Play of Calderon
    - Defence. This is the best defensive effort they've played all year.
    - JV is a stud
    - Amir's effort defensively
    - Ross best game as a Raptor
    Mamba Mentality

TRex wrote: View Post

- Why the hell did Amir all of a sudden became the #1 option on offence in the 4th?
    - Did DeRozan even got the ball in the 4th? even Jack Armstrong was perplexed that DD wasn't getting any touches in the low post in the 4th.
    - Bargnani once again disappeared in the 4th and pretty much non factor the whole game. What's new?
    - Execution in the 4th was brutal. I mean, they only scored 5 freakin pts!! That must be a team record or an NBA record.

Positive:

- Play of Calderon
    - JV is a stud
    I completely agree with everything you said, lol. Why Valanciunas doesn't get more time boggles my mind. He is clearly our best player within 5 feet of the basket, amazing rebounder and active hands, I could see him averaging 15 rebounds a game in his prime.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Got away with one

A 4th quarter collapse that only spared the Raps because the Pacers played their worst quarter as well. It is a win under circumstances when they could have mailed it on on the heels of the triple-OT. There was a bit of grit tonight but they did nothing to exorcise any demons haunting their confidence. Hopefully it will offer a few clues on how to string some wins together and they won't be too fragile for the criticism they need to avoid repeats. I didn't think they could do worse than 7 points a quarter but they went ahead and pulled that off. Kleiza needs to be reminded that he's here to help JV acclimatize, smoke the Jazz and provide a little lunch bucket, no more.

All said, I'll take it.

Comment

sillydebate wrote: View Post
        A 4th quarter collapse that only spared the Raps because the Pacers played their worst quarter as well. It is a win under circumstances when they could have mailed it on on the heels of the triple-OT. There was a bit of grit tonight but they did nothing to exorcise any demons haunting their confidence. Hopefully it will offer a few clues on how to string some wins together and they won't be too fragile for the criticism they need to avoid repeats. I didn't think they could do worse than 7 points a quarter but they went ahead and pulled that off. Kleiza needs to be reminded that he's here to help JV acclimatize, smoke the Jazz and provide a little lunch bucket, no more.

All said, I'll take it.
        At least Kleiza showed some desire to make an impact. I'd rather have him on offense than Alan Anderson. You could say we won despite playing bad, but I would say the first game of the year as well as last night against Utah we lost while playing good, so enjoy things evening themselves out.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Kleiza right now is their best SF. The thing that i love the most about that guy is he's tough. He's like the enforcer on this team.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

WHY ? Isn't JV or ED coming in on an defense/offense situation in the 4th for Bargs???
            Don't the Raptor brass pay the fine and let CAsey draw some T's when the team is getting shafted by non-calls?
            Does Bargs stand around and watch the game? Where is his hustle?
            Do people want Calderon traded ? He is the ultimate pro.
            Isn't there a way for Ross to get 10-12 minutes /game? He didn't look lost out there.

Comment

Normally I'm frustrated with the lack of time for JV but I think tonight he earned it. Believe it or not, that's a compliment. JV manhandled Hibbert so well tonight that Hibbert (that's max contract Hibbert) was benched for most of the 4th quarter. They went with Amir on West and AB on Psycho T. I don't think JV would have been able to hand West as well and, I guess the secret isn't out yet, AB still helps space the floor. Well done JV

Comment

Positive:

- Play of Calderon
                - JV is a stud
                It's great that you can take a few minutes to appreciate a hard fought win. You F'n guys are depressing. You should be happy that this team was able to pull out an ugly win and scrap all night after playing for 16 hours yesterday. You should be happy that Demar is growing into the player that we envisioned when we picked him. You should be happy that our rookies looked great tonight and both earned a little more PT tonight. You should be happy that our back up PG has been great this year and a true leader on the court for the last few games. You should be happy that Amir fights for every loose ball and defends with everything he has. ETC. ETC.

Comment

Positive:

- Play of Calderon
                  - JV is a stud
                  Well holy shit! I mean, no fucking wonder we almost lost a game with 5 points in a quarter, when a coach is playing 5 guys who have no such impact offensively. I mean, Lucas, Ross, Kleiza, Davis, Johnson?! What production are you expecting? There's no shot creation from the point of attack, Linas and Ross aren't going to create great shots, and Ed and Amir are meant to do dirty work.

Coach Casey, you're a great coach. You hold guys accountable, and have been one of the best things that has ever happened to Toronto. BUT, your coaching offensively and your rotations have been SERIOUSLY questionable.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                    Well holy shit! I mean, no fucking wonder we almost lost a game with 5 points in a quarter, when a coach is playing 5 guys who have no such impact offensively. I mean, Lucas, Ross, Kleiza, Davis, Johnson?! What production are you expecting? ....
                    Maybe he noticed that his starters were completely gassed and need a few minutes on the bench to recover. When you play tired, you foul (putting other team no the line for high percentage shots), you take bad shots that lead to opponents possessions, you don't get back in transition (leading to high percentage shots for opponents) and you can't move quickly enough to cover lateral moves or provide help D. I don't know that this is true, but Casey is obviously not stupid. You have to think he has reasons for what we believe are bad substitutions.

Comment

Well holy shit! I mean, no fucking wonder we almost lost a game with 5 points in a quarter, when a coach is playing 5 guys who have no such impact offensively. I mean, Lucas, Ross, Kleiza, Davis, Johnson?! What production are you expecting? There's no shot creation from the point of attack, Linas and Ross aren't going to create great shots, and Ed and Amir are meant to do dirty work.

Coach Casey, you're a great coach. You hold guys accountable, and have been one of the best things that has ever happened to Toronto. BUT, your coaching offensively and your rotations have been SERIOUSLY questionable.
                      Casey played that line up for 2 minutes at the start of the 4th quarter and over that time period that unit played Indiana to a draw(0-0). By the time all the players were in who finished the game, the difference was -2 (2-4).

It was over the next 8 or so minutes that the Raps went -7 (3-10 and all those pts on FTs no less)

I fail to see the problem with that, especially considering all the minutes the starters (aside from Jonas) had already seen that game and in the triple over time game the night before.

I defintely don't think Casey should have had Bargnani out there to finish the quarter, let alone finish the game (why was Bargnani on the floor for a defensive possession in the last minute - 5 straight offensive rebounds for Indiana), but I don't understand why Casey should be faulted for giving most of the starters a well needed rest before the final push especially when it had no negative impact on the team.

Comment

Second paragragh I agree completely with what isn't in bold.

He's a coach yes and a good defensive one. He hasn't accomplished enough to make the statement about being one of the best things to ever happen mean anything. If he turns things around and starts getting the Raptors consistantly in the win column and in consistint playoff picture talk we'll revist this. Offensively I haven't liked many of the plays called especially late in games when coaches have their greatest impact. As for the rotation it's kids house league basketball... Everyone plays every night...

Comment

love caldy and everything but i don't think he's the quarterback everyone thinks he is. should have force fed demar the ball the entire 4th quarter. he's a great facilitator, don't get me wrong, but he seems to choke at the end of games, either being too passive or making bad decisions.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                            Maybe he noticed that his starters were completely gassed and need a few minutes on the bench to recover. When you play tired, you foul (putting other team no the line for high percentage shots), you take bad shots that lead to opponents possessions, you don't get back in transition (leading to high percentage shots for opponents) and you can't move quickly enough to cover lateral moves or provide help D. I don't know that this is true, but Casey is obviously not stupid. You have to think he has reasons for what we believe are bad substitutions.
                            As much as they were gassed, and as much as he would rather veteran pieces on the floor over rookies... I'm not accepting the fact that, the lineup was extremely ineffective on both ends of the floor. It completely took the rhythm out of the game.

In my opinion, one starter must be on the floor at all times. AND, JV needs more playing time down the stretch of games. He effects games other than scoring, and this team defensively at the start of that quarter was just atrocious.

At this point, Derozan, Calderon, or Bargnani should have been on the floor to start the quarter. If they get tired throughout, THAN go with the substitution and give him a minute or so to catch his breath. I mean, rotations should have been handled better in general.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

yeah Amirs running hook from the free throw line followed by a 3 was painful almost caused me to have a stroke. And keeping Bargnani in on Defense when you couldve done defense for offense substitutions when JV was pulling down every rebound and fighting hard was a litle perplexing to say the least. But a win is a win!! GO RAPTORS!!

Comment

Working...
                              X