Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is MLSE willing to spend big money on the Raps Like they did with the JAYS today?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is MLSE willing to spend big money on the Raps Like they did with the JAYS today?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/86...ys-sources-say

Wow, the Blue Jays have just pulled off one of the BIGGEST Trade in MLB history. So now that they have taken on this seriously mega deal with the Marlins, does this mean they are willing to spend big money on the Raps also in the near future? Unreal!

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

it's not run by the teachers anymore

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    it's not run by the teachers anymore
    Isn't Rogers the owners now? Or am i wrong in thinking that? And since the teachers union doesn't run it anymore, shouldn't it be easier to get things done as the union didn't want to spend money?

Raptors Republic Starter Buschfire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This could have a negative correlation... Roger's spends more money on the Jays & Leafs, less to go around for the Raps? (well not this year for the Leafs...) Its Roger's and Bell they both own MLSE.
    Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm personally hoping that they go with the idea that it's in their best interest to field playoff teams in all 3. NOTHING brinmgs in the ratings (and ratings = ca$h) like the playoffs and NBA playoffs are always a cash cow. They really need to sell those cable packages and with the Leafs market pretty well saturated without playoffs I'm thinking more money will be used to boost the Raps, Jays and TFC as they are areas of potential growth revenue/market wise.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Raptors Republic Rookie Profster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Since when did the teachers union ever own the Raptors?

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/86...ys-sources-say

Wow, the Blue Jays have just pulled off one of the BIGGEST Trade in MLB history. So now that they have taken on this seriously mega deal with the Marlins, does this mean they are willing to spend big money on the Raps also in the near future? Unreal!
    Great thread you've started and I'm sure the news of the Jays getting involved in a mega deal will raise a lot of questions about sports in Toronto. It would make sense for Rogers/Bell to put money into their investment seeing as how success can only breed profitability for them.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    Isn't Rogers the owners now? Or am i wrong in thinking that? And since the teachers union doesn't run it anymore, shouldn't it be easier to get things done as the union didn't want to spend money?
    for me it wasn't that the teachers didn't want to spend money it was more they wanted guaranteed profits. with luck rogers gets to "purchase" 82 games on basic cable for a "respectably negotiated" price and with the tv deals comes the excess wealth the other big players have. it is probably a lot more complicated than that but i don't know the ins and outs of those kinds of deals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Profster wrote: View Post
    Since when did the teachers union ever own the Raptors?
    They were a majority shareholder in MLSE who recently sold their stake to Rogers and Bell.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

OT: Was anyone else as surprised as I was to find out the Marlins are the MIAMI Marlins? I thought I was reading about an imaginary team, like when Jamie Foxx was playing QB for the Miami Sharks. WTF.. Miami Marlins?! When did they make this change?

(Also shows how much I care about baseball.)

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Spending money in a cap system is not easy. Lots of things to consider. We could easily blow the cap on high priced mediocre talent, but that won't get the team anywhere.

Having a frugal GM in basketball might not be a bad idea, as long as the money they use to invest in players is done smartly. I do believe that Rogers/Bell would pony up the cash if they felt it was the right thing to do, but I don't have trust in Bryan that he would spend that money wisely ($9.5M on DeMar??? $6M on Fields???).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote minks77 wrote: View Post
    They were a majority shareholder in MLSE who recently sold their stake to Rogers and Bell.
    Not the Teachers Union ... The Ontario Teachers Pension Plan. BIG difference.

As for whether or not MLSE will spend like they did on the Jays ... MLSE doesn't own the Jays.
    Only Rogers owns the Jays. Raptors are owned by Bell & Larry Tanenbaum as well as Rogers.

I think if the right deal were to come around, they would spend the right money. I think they always have been willing. Its just whether or not that big deal (with the right money) will ever come around. With the way Jose is playing, its possible he's drummed up some interest.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

As for whether or not MLSE will spend like they did on the Jays ... MLSE doesn't own the Jays.
    Only Rogers owns the Jays. Raptors are owned by Bell & Larry Tanenbaum as well as Rogers.
    +1

It's alarming how easily facts are mangled.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

I think if the right deal were to come around, they would spend the right money. I think they always have been willing. Its just whether or not that big deal (with the right money) will ever come around. With the way Jose is playing, its possible he's drummed up some interest.
    oops! so much for reading comp huh?
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I may be wrong, but probably the reason why rogers is willing to spend money on the Jays is because they play in the Rogers centre, which, rogers operates. so they need to fill the seats.

They could care less about the Raps because they play in the ACC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    I may be wrong, but probably the reason why rogers is willing to spend money on the Jays is because they play in the Rogers centre, which, rogers operates. so they need to fill the seats.
    Absolutely makes sense.
    Most/All owners understand that Quality talent on the team leads to more wins, which generally leads to higher Attendance.

The other thing with the Blue Jays trade is that there is far less Profit Sharing in Baseball than in the NBA.
    Teams that suck in the NBA can still make money on the back end. Much harder for teams in MLB.

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote:
    They could care less about the Raps because they play in the ACC.
    Not entirely true. Owners still benefit from Ticket Sales. And they also benefit from Merchandise sales, which would certainly be impacted by higher attendance & greater exposure.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this type of salary dump trade (similar to Atlanta unloading Joe Johnson), is how some fans were hoping the Raps could acquire a stud SF, such as Rudy Gay. Memphis is a small market team poised to be a big luxury tax paying team, the fans were fed up with Gay after another playoff failure, and they had an owner who seemed like he wanted to avoid paying luxury tax. I think the JJ trade and this Blue Jays trade are reminders that not every trade is based on equal present value. Of course, with Memphis being sold to new ownership, nobody knows what the future holds for them. However, I think there are definite similiarities between BC and Alex Anthopolous (Blue Jays' GM) - BC has stockpiled good young talent, similar how AA rebuilt his farm system and restocked it with well regarded youngsters. AA just turned some of his assets into proven 'win now' talent, which is what some Raps fans are hoping BC will do to address the black hole at SF.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I think this type of salary dump trade (similar to Atlanta unloading Joe Johnson), is how some fans were hoping the Raps could acquire a stud SF, such as Rudy Gay. Memphis is a small market team poised to be a big luxury tax paying team, the fans were fed up with Gay after another playoff failure, and they had an owner who seemed like he wanted to avoid paying luxury tax. I think the JJ trade and this Blue Jays trade are reminders that not every trade is based on equal present value. Of course, with Memphis being sold to new ownership, nobody knows what the future holds for them. However, I think there are definite similiarities between BC and Alex Anthopolous (Blue Jays' GM) - BC has stockpiled good young talent, similar how AA rebuilt his farm system and restocked it with well regarded youngsters. AA just turned some of his assets into proven 'win now' talent, which is what some Raps fans are hoping BC will do to address the black hole at SF.
    I couldn't disagree more. The dichotomy between the two couldn't be more stark.

AA - Patient growth with no desire to make a big investment until the team and its players show strength and stability which took place over a number of years. A willingness to move players, even if young, if they aren't working out.

BC - impatient growth based on a small sample with high expectations and investment in potential.

Just because BC still has a handful of draft picks he refuses to give up on, does not make BC anything like a GM who has spent years building, molding and reshaping a team from the ground up.

If one wants to make a comaprison Brian Burke is without question the most comparable. The we can win now while at the same time building for the future approach.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Great thread you've started and I'm sure the news of the Jays getting involved in a mega deal will raise a lot of questions about sports in Toronto. It would make sense for Rogers/Bell to put money into their investment seeing as how success can only breed profitability for them.
    Thank you very much. Thought it might be interested to some on here. It was interested to me as I am both a baseball fan, Canadian Product, lol and Basketball fan. I forgot thought that it was both Rogers and Bell who own the team. Which to me is strange because I thought Rogers and Bell competed against each other business wise! Strange.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope they will but with all this money tied up with the guys we have, they will need to pull off a deal such as this to get anyone of substance here. THen we, the fans are going to ask why we spent all this money once again. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information