Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is MLSE willing to spend big money on the Raps Like they did with the JAYS today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    I may be wrong, but probably the reason why rogers is willing to spend money on the Jays is because they play in the Rogers centre, which, rogers operates. so they need to fill the seats.
    Absolutely makes sense.
    Most/All owners understand that Quality talent on the team leads to more wins, which generally leads to higher Attendance.

The other thing with the Blue Jays trade is that there is far less Profit Sharing in Baseball than in the NBA.
    Teams that suck in the NBA can still make money on the back end. Much harder for teams in MLB.

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote:
    They could care less about the Raps because they play in the ACC.
    Not entirely true. Owners still benefit from Ticket Sales. And they also benefit from Merchandise sales, which would certainly be impacted by higher attendance & greater exposure.

Comment

I think this type of salary dump trade (similar to Atlanta unloading Joe Johnson), is how some fans were hoping the Raps could acquire a stud SF, such as Rudy Gay. Memphis is a small market team poised to be a big luxury tax paying team, the fans were fed up with Gay after another playoff failure, and they had an owner who seemed like he wanted to avoid paying luxury tax. I think the JJ trade and this Blue Jays trade are reminders that not every trade is based on equal present value. Of course, with Memphis being sold to new ownership, nobody knows what the future holds for them. However, I think there are definite similiarities between BC and Alex Anthopolous (Blue Jays' GM) - BC has stockpiled good young talent, similar how AA rebuilt his farm system and restocked it with well regarded youngsters. AA just turned some of his assets into proven 'win now' talent, which is what some Raps fans are hoping BC will do to address the black hole at SF.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        I think this type of salary dump trade (similar to Atlanta unloading Joe Johnson), is how some fans were hoping the Raps could acquire a stud SF, such as Rudy Gay. Memphis is a small market team poised to be a big luxury tax paying team, the fans were fed up with Gay after another playoff failure, and they had an owner who seemed like he wanted to avoid paying luxury tax. I think the JJ trade and this Blue Jays trade are reminders that not every trade is based on equal present value. Of course, with Memphis being sold to new ownership, nobody knows what the future holds for them. However, I think there are definite similiarities between BC and Alex Anthopolous (Blue Jays' GM) - BC has stockpiled good young talent, similar how AA rebuilt his farm system and restocked it with well regarded youngsters. AA just turned some of his assets into proven 'win now' talent, which is what some Raps fans are hoping BC will do to address the black hole at SF.
        I couldn't disagree more. The dichotomy between the two couldn't be more stark.

AA - Patient growth with no desire to make a big investment until the team and its players show strength and stability which took place over a number of years. A willingness to move players, even if young, if they aren't working out.

BC - impatient growth based on a small sample with high expectations and investment in potential.

Just because BC still has a handful of draft picks he refuses to give up on, does not make BC anything like a GM who has spent years building, molding and reshaping a team from the ground up.

If one wants to make a comaprison Brian Burke is without question the most comparable. The we can win now while at the same time building for the future approach.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          Great thread you've started and I'm sure the news of the Jays getting involved in a mega deal will raise a lot of questions about sports in Toronto. It would make sense for Rogers/Bell to put money into their investment seeing as how success can only breed profitability for them.
          Thank you very much. Thought it might be interested to some on here. It was interested to me as I am both a baseball fan, Canadian Product, lol and Basketball fan. I forgot thought that it was both Rogers and Bell who own the team. Which to me is strange because I thought Rogers and Bell competed against each other business wise! Strange.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            Not the Teachers Union ... The Ontario Teachers Pension Plan. BIG difference.

As for whether or not MLSE will spend like they did on the Jays ... MLSE doesn't own the Jays.
            Only Rogers owns the Jays. Raptors are owned by Bell & Larry Tanenbaum as well as Rogers.

I think if the right deal were to come around, they would spend the right money. I think they always have been willing. Its just whether or not that big deal (with the right money) will ever come around. With the way Jose is playing, its possible he's drummed up some interest.
            I hope they will but with all this money tied up with the guys we have, they will need to pull off a deal such as this to get anyone of substance here. THen we, the fans are going to ask why we spent all this money once again. LOL

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
              Thank you very much. Thought it might be interested to some on here. It was interested to me as I am both a baseball fan, Canadian Product, lol and Basketball fan. I forgot thought that it was both Rogers and Bell who own the team. Which to me is strange because I thought Rogers and Bell competed against each other business wise! Strange.
              I imagine Adam Smith would say its not so much strange as a potential danger to free market capitalism

Comment

I hope they will but with all this money tied up with the guys we have, they will need to pull off a deal such as this to get anyone of substance here. THen we, the fans are going to ask why we spent all this money once again. LOL
                The NBA is different than MLB in terms of trades though. MLB you can take on as much Salary as you want, as long as the owner is cool with it. In the NBA, in order to take on salary, you must either have the full space available to absorb it, or be able to send back an equal amount of salary as is coming in. So having some larger contracts means we'll have pieces to send out that will add up to a nice big Fish. This is how my optimistic brain works, anyway.

Comment

I thought Rogers and Bell competed against each other business wise! Strange.
                  While they do compete with one another on a business stage, they also share common ground in terms of dealing with these Franchises and feeding the content through their pipelines. By "teaming up", they now not only own the Networks and Channels which show these teams, but the actual Teams as well.

As is the case with The Knicks and the MSG Network, Bell and Rogers were worried that MLSE could go out and create their own channel which would show ALL games (and not TSN, Sportsnet, The Score; which are all owned by either Rogers or Bell) and thus end up cutting Rogers/Bell out of the deal almost completely. By buying the Teams, they decide which pipeline gets which content. Its smart business.

Comment

The NBA is different than MLB in terms of trades though. MLB you can take on as much Salary as you want, as long as the owner is cool with it. In the NBA, in order to take on salary, you must either have the full space available to absorb it, or be able to send back an equal amount of salary as is coming in. So having some larger contracts means we'll have pieces to send out that will add up to a nice big Fish. This is how my optimistic brain works, anyway.
                    Base on what you just explained, that's why New York and Boston has such high payrolls? Trying to buy championships. But as we seen the last few years, that doesn't always work right?

Comment

While they do compete with one another on a business stage, they also share common ground in terms of dealing with these Franchises and feeding the content through their pipelines. By "teaming up", they now not only own the Networks and Channels which show these teams, but the actual Teams as well.

As is the case with The Knicks and the MSG Network, Bell and Rogers were worried that MLSE could go out and create their own channel which would show ALL games (and not TSN, Sportsnet, The Score; which are all owned by either Rogers or Bell) and thus end up cutting Rogers/Bell out of the deal almost completely. By buying the Teams, they decide which pipeline gets which content. Its smart business.
                      Makes a lot of sense to me when you put it that way. Thanks for your input.

Comment

little off topic here but just a nice write up about DeMar. http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2...erozan_growth/

Comment

I think that with the dwindling hope that the Leafs are going to have a season, MLSE must be looking at this as a large revenue loss, one great way to recoupe that revenue is to boost sales in other sporting avenues.

While the NBA is a little bit of a tougher and more expensive market, let's see what MLSE will potentially do with TFC, that's the club I'm interested to see if any significant movement happens. They have a good fan base and still a good attendance record, despite not making the playoffs in 6 years. They're dead last usually. And they've had coaching issues since day 1 (I believe, not a big TFC fan).

I believe MLSE is merely trying to mitigate any future losses from the Leafs, which could result in a ticket price drop for the Raptors if they continue to lose, whereas, a trade in the blockbuster arena is doubtful. I say that only because I can't see MGMT spending a lot of money on a team that is currently 2-6, in the toughest division, injury plagued, and not a single game has been picked up by an American broadcaster. It doesn't spell return on investment.

This is just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth (probably 1 cent).

Cheers.
                          i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

pillowmint wrote: View Post
                            This is just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth (probably 1 cent).

Cheers.
                            1+

Comment

Trying to buy championships. But as we seen the last few years, that doesn't always work right?
                              You can still lose, while spending exorbitant amounts of money.
                              However, you can't win without spending money. In my opinion.

Not sure on the exact stats, but I'm pretty sure any team that has done anything in the playoffs for the last so many years, has been a tax paying team.

Comment

pillowmint wrote: View Post
                                I can't see MGMT spending a lot of money on a team that is currently 2-6, in the toughest division, injury plagued, and not a single game has been picked up by an American broadcaster. It doesn't spell return on investment.
                                Bellogers (See what I did there?) wouldn't get any financial boost from the American viewership on ESPN or NBC etc. And vice-versa. It doesn't make sense for the American Networks to pick our games and give away half of the possible Viewership numbers.
                                And NBATV (American Network) has picked up a few of our games already this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X