Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is MLSE willing to spend big money on the Raps Like they did with the JAYS today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is MLSE willing to spend big money on the Raps Like they did with the JAYS today?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/86...ys-sources-say

Wow, the Blue Jays have just pulled off one of the BIGGEST Trade in MLB history. So now that they have taken on this seriously mega deal with the Marlins, does this mean they are willing to spend big money on the Raps also in the near future? Unreal!

it's not run by the teachers anymore

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      it's not run by the teachers anymore
      Isn't Rogers the owners now? Or am i wrong in thinking that? And since the teachers union doesn't run it anymore, shouldn't it be easier to get things done as the union didn't want to spend money?

Comment

This could have a negative correlation... Roger's spends more money on the Jays & Leafs, less to go around for the Raps? (well not this year for the Leafs...) Its Roger's and Bell they both own MLSE.
        Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

I'm personally hoping that they go with the idea that it's in their best interest to field playoff teams in all 3. NOTHING brinmgs in the ratings (and ratings = ca$h) like the playoffs and NBA playoffs are always a cash cow. They really need to sell those cable packages and with the Leafs market pretty well saturated without playoffs I'm thinking more money will be used to boost the Raps, Jays and TFC as they are areas of potential growth revenue/market wise.
          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Since when did the teachers union ever own the Raptors?

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
              http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/86...ys-sources-say

Wow, the Blue Jays have just pulled off one of the BIGGEST Trade in MLB history. So now that they have taken on this seriously mega deal with the Marlins, does this mean they are willing to spend big money on the Raps also in the near future? Unreal!
              Great thread you've started and I'm sure the news of the Jays getting involved in a mega deal will raise a lot of questions about sports in Toronto. It would make sense for Rogers/Bell to put money into their investment seeing as how success can only breed profitability for them.

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                Isn't Rogers the owners now? Or am i wrong in thinking that? And since the teachers union doesn't run it anymore, shouldn't it be easier to get things done as the union didn't want to spend money?
                for me it wasn't that the teachers didn't want to spend money it was more they wanted guaranteed profits. with luck rogers gets to "purchase" 82 games on basic cable for a "respectably negotiated" price and with the tv deals comes the excess wealth the other big players have. it is probably a lot more complicated than that but i don't know the ins and outs of those kinds of deals.

Comment

Profster wrote: View Post
                  Since when did the teachers union ever own the Raptors?
                  They were a majority shareholder in MLSE who recently sold their stake to Rogers and Bell.
                  LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

OT: Was anyone else as surprised as I was to find out the Marlins are the MIAMI Marlins? I thought I was reading about an imaginary team, like when Jamie Foxx was playing QB for the Miami Sharks. WTF.. Miami Marlins?! When did they make this change?

(Also shows how much I care about baseball.)
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

Spending money in a cap system is not easy. Lots of things to consider. We could easily blow the cap on high priced mediocre talent, but that won't get the team anywhere.

Having a frugal GM in basketball might not be a bad idea, as long as the money they use to invest in players is done smartly. I do believe that Rogers/Bell would pony up the cash if they felt it was the right thing to do, but I don't have trust in Bryan that he would spend that money wisely ($9.5M on DeMar??? $6M on Fields???).

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                        They were a majority shareholder in MLSE who recently sold their stake to Rogers and Bell.
                        Not the Teachers Union ... The Ontario Teachers Pension Plan. BIG difference.

As for whether or not MLSE will spend like they did on the Jays ... MLSE doesn't own the Jays.
                        Only Rogers owns the Jays. Raptors are owned by Bell & Larry Tanenbaum as well as Rogers.

I think if the right deal were to come around, they would spend the right money. I think they always have been willing. Its just whether or not that big deal (with the right money) will ever come around. With the way Jose is playing, its possible he's drummed up some interest.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

As for whether or not MLSE will spend like they did on the Jays ... MLSE doesn't own the Jays.
                          Only Rogers owns the Jays. Raptors are owned by Bell & Larry Tanenbaum as well as Rogers.
                          +1

It's alarming how easily facts are mangled.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

I think if the right deal were to come around, they would spend the right money. I think they always have been willing. Its just whether or not that big deal (with the right money) will ever come around. With the way Jose is playing, its possible he's drummed up some interest.
                            oops! so much for reading comp huh?
                            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

I may be wrong, but probably the reason why rogers is willing to spend money on the Jays is because they play in the Rogers centre, which, rogers operates. so they need to fill the seats.

They could care less about the Raps because they play in the ACC.

Comment

Working...
                              X