No announcement yet.

Why are Raps fans so hard on DeMar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Toronto, as a city, should be hard on EVERYBODY. And that includes all pro sports teams and their management. I mean damn, look how loyal the fanbase has been, and what do we have to show for it? Not even playoff appearances. So yeah, we should be hard on management for putting together shit teams or overpaying for mediocre players who don't get us anywhere. We should also be getting on players for underperforming for what is expected of them.

As for the Raptors, don't we want to win? In order to win we need our top guys to perform to their fullest potential, or at least consistently enough. Bargnani, for 7 years, has disappointed more often than shown flashes of brilliance. DeRozan has been improving year after year, but is it enough? Many don't think so since it's already his 4th year and he's still not where we expected him to be when we drafted him. And many are starting to feel like it's Bargnani 2.0 with all the waiting season after season with little result.

So here we are, year after year, rebuild after rebuild, waiting for players to maybe reach their potential. For how long must we wait until we get competitive and relevant? You can focus on the positives all you want, but I don't think you can fault the people who do not have any patience left in them after years of watching a scrub team play, or even worse-pay to watch a game only to have to witness half-assed effort and heartless basketball.

So yeah, positives. I think I'll focus on that once we start winning consistently.

Comment

Afro_Daddy wrote: View Post
      stop hating on Demar he's not vince so take what he gives you, he's improved his handles, attacking the rim, steals (still a lil suspect on D) and his 3 point shooting has been better this year so far and carried this team with Lowry so far.. its not like we didnt know we had a hard schedule to begin the season so eaz off my boy
      His three point shoot is not doing better. Last season he shot 26.1%, this year he's at 25.0. Absolutely atrocious for a shooting guard.

I am impressed with the way he's playing this season, though I'm not sure if his overall game has improved all that much. The main difference I notice is his strength, and the fact that he drives to the net at will. Still not a great finisher, and still not a very good jump shooter.

And he's still only getting 2 APG. Bargs gets near that. 2 black holes for the most part.
      Last edited by Mack North; Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

jlongs wrote: View Post
        I think Toronto, as a city, should be hard on EVERYBODY. And that includes all pro sports teams and their management. I mean damn, look how loyal the fanbase has been, and what do we have to show for it? Not even playoff appearances. So yeah, we should be hard on management for putting together shit teams or overpaying for mediocre players who don't get us anywhere. We should also be getting on players for underperforming for what is expected of them.

As for the Raptors, don't we want to win? In order to win we need our top guys to perform to their fullest potential, or at least consistently enough. Bargnani, for 7 years, has disappointed more often than shown flashes of brilliance. DeRozan has been improving year after year, but is it enough? Many don't think so since it's already his 4th year and he's still not where we expected him to be when we drafted him. And many are starting to feel like it's Bargnani 2.0 with all the waiting season after season with little result.

So here we are, year after year, rebuild after rebuild, waiting for players to maybe reach their potential. For how long must we wait until we get competitive and relevant? You can focus on the positives all you want, but I don't think you can fault the people who do not have any patience left in them after years of watching a scrub team play, or even worse-pay to watch a game only to have to witness half-assed effort and heartless basketball.

So yeah, positives. I think I'll focus on that once we start winning consistently.
        Well said. I agree completely. So frustrated with all my teams losing after they sell us hope all off-season.

Comment

Why are Raps fans so hard on DeMar? like most people on this board? i know why.

You all put Vince Carter like expectations when he was drafted. He didn't live up to your expectations the first 3 years and now you want him gone because he's not Vince Carter.

DeMar is only 23 years old. Everyone knew when the Raps drafted him that he's going to be a project. To DeMar's credit he has improved every single year. The guy has averaged 17ppg the last 2 years and he was doing it without a jump shot. This year he's jump shot is so much better, every areas of his game is much improved and you're starting to see the results.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

pillowmint wrote: View Post
            - Other minor note, he does not love the city. I have it on good authority that it was long rumored that if we had not offered a substantial amount of money that he was dying to get the hell out of town.
            So you have a second hand rumour? Even if it is on good authority, you even admitted that it was a rumour, so not exactly a strong support to make the claim "He does not love the city". Plus you said his reasons were management and the poor direction of the team, so that doesn't say anything about the city, so I find it a stretch to use the information you provided to make the claim "he doesn't love the city". If you had said "he doesn't love management" or "he doesn't love the direction of the team" then I'd believe it more.

Demar biggest problem has been that he hasn't had a good environment to grow in. Who was he supposed to learn from? Bosh on the way out the door? Bargnani? The team has had no credible leader for the young guys to learn from and emulate. Lowry might be that guy (so far so good) and that will help Demar and JV and Ross develop when they see what it takes for a guy to be a high quality NBA player. I guarantee that if Demar was drafted by the Spurs he would be a better player already, learning from Duncan, Parker and Ginobli.

I was very down on Demar entering the season, but his new post game and better decisions have changed my view on him, which is good, because with that new contract he isn't going anywhere any time soon. Hopefully Demar and Lowry can continue to feed off each other and we can get back to debating whether they are a Top 10 backcourt combo.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              - both were top-10 draft picks in strong drafts

- both are inefficient volume scorers, who have been inconsistent in their execution so far in their careers

- both are below average in key areas typically associated with traditional players at their positions (Bargnani-rebounding, DeRozan-3pt shooting)

- both have struggled to provide significant, consistent secondary stats (ie: rebounding, assists, steals)

- both are below average defenders at their position

- both have been forced to become #1 (or #1a/1b) scoring options for their team, when they have neither the skillset or personality to be a #1 guy

- both have been marketed as the cornerstone / face of the franchise, which only heaps on even more unjustified expectations that they shouldn't be forced to bear

- neither has shown significant year-over-year improvements, certainly not with any sustained consistency

- both were rewarded with ~$10M annual contracts, based more on their age/skill/potential equation, than because of actual sustained performances worthy of ~$10M per year
              Yup. This sums it up perfectly.

Comment

knickz wrote: View Post
                what makes me laugh is when I hear guys talk about trading demar so ross can start lol.
                People who suggest this aren't saying that Ross is better than DeMar.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                  Demar biggest problem has been that he hasn't had a good environment to grow in. Who was he supposed to learn from? Bosh on the way out the door? Bargnani? The team has had no credible leader for the young guys to learn from and emulate. Lowry might be that guy (so far so good) and that will help Demar and JV and Ross develop when they see what it takes for a guy to be a high quality NBA player. I guarantee that if Demar was drafted by the Spurs he would be a better player already, learning from Duncan, Parker and Ginobli.
                  Thanks for having my back Axel. I agree with you, just didn't know how to word it. guess you did it for me.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    The recent disdain for DeRozan is quite similar to the hate that's been spewed at Bargnani for the past several seasons. In fact, I see quite a few comparisons between the two of them.

- both were top-10 draft picks in strong drafts

I'm not trying to defend Bargs (pissed at his uninspired play) but 2006 was one of the weakest of the last decade.

Especially the top 10.
                    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

The only expectations Demar is failing are the unreasonable expectations everyone seems to be piling on him, he's not VC. It's not like he's shown flashes of All-Star potential like Bargs did last year. Demar seems to have improved quite a bit and while I don't agree with the contract BC gave him, he talks of wanting to improve.

Not sure how much weight to put into it, but I think having Triano as the head coach really hurt the development of Demar IMO.

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                        So we have been complaining for a couple years now since DD was drafted that he has not lived up to all the hypes of the Young Ones, Young Gunz, Vince Carter comparisons and all that. Now he is playing the best basketball of his young career and already fans are talking or suggesting that he be traded because his value will be at it's highest.

If he continues to play the way he is, the we got him for a steal at $40 mil. instead of going through free agency and that would be a great move by BC. And give the guy credit for playing his heart out after getting that huge contract. I think it was Casey who said that Demar will play even harder now that he has the contract because he want to prove that he deserved it. BUT If BC didn't resign him and he played well all season, people would say that he played well because it was a contract year and get even more upset if he leaves to go to another team instead of resigning with us. He is in a no win situation with us Raps fans.

I know everyone is talking about Rudy Gay but we know that if Rudy comes to Town it will be because of the Money not the City or the Team for the Fans. Demar loves the city. He loves the Fans and he Lover the organization and he especially love the team. Instead of showing him that we want him out of town, why not show him that we appreciate him trying his hardest and show him some love.

Don't forget guys, if you know that people in a specific company don't like you or don't want you there and you have a chance to work there, will you go? I know that I would not. We are better than that.
                        http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2...erozan_growth/

Go DeMar Go! Go Raps Go!
                        Watch nuthin, bruv...I see you, still. Perfectly. It's why I don't even bother no more, king. I see some stupid comments, sometimes, and I jus laugh. Fans know fans, so I jus gravitate to the positive shit. DeMar was a 9th pick, not top 5, so I'm pleased with his EXPECTED development and even more thrilled by his commitment to get better. We are in a new generation in life and sports. We want quick fixes like a shot at the bar, instead of a beer. We get trade happy like a man in Las Vegas addicted to gambling. To me, DeMar exceeded expectations, in certain areas. People will say one thing, now, and forget what they say and start talking what the retarded articles say, later. Nuuuuff 2 faced "fans", trust me. Don't even sweat that. YOU recognize his efforts and progression, so you and others have the appreciation more. It's all that counts, bruv. To each their own, I guess. I can't wait to hear what's said, when he's steady progresses. Lmao.

The joke is, we act like we can afford to diss everybody on the team, because we just have a "plethora" of players that are clambering to play here. So much so that we're blind to a player's heart and commitment to an already unpopular team. Dissed the Yung Gunz effort to help build sum'n for the city, by even committing to the fans at public gyms. They got slapped in the face by the fans because Yung Gunz failed to be LBJ, Wade and the "ever-loved" Bosh. ***.
                        Last edited by GameBreaker; Thu Nov 15, 2012, 02:06 PM.
                        The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                        Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                        www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                        http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                          So you have a second hand rumour? Even if it is on good authority, you even admitted that it was a rumour, so not exactly a strong support to make the claim "He does not love the city". Plus you said his reasons were management and the poor direction of the team, so that doesn't say anything about the city, so I find it a stretch to use the information you provided to make the claim "he doesn't love the city". If you had said "he doesn't love management" or "he doesn't love the direction of the team" then I'd believe it more.

I was very down on Demar entering the season, but his new post game and better decisions have changed my view on him, which is good, because with that new contract he isn't going anywhere any time soon. Hopefully Demar and Lowry can continue to feed off each other and we can get back to debating whether they are a Top 10 backcourt combo.
                          Co-sign on bolded part. Well said.
                          The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                          Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                          www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                          http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

GameBreaker wrote: View Post
                            Watch nuthin, bruv...I see you, still. Perfectly. It's why I don't even bother no more, king. I see some stupid comments, sometimes, and I jus laugh. Fans know fans, so I jus gravitate to the positive shit. DeMar was a 9th pick, not top 5, so I'm pleased with his EXPECTED development and even more thrilled by his commitment to get better. We are in a new generation in life and sports. We want quick fixes like a shot at the bar, instead of a beer. We get trade happy like a man in Las Vegas addicted to gambling. To me, DeMar exceeded expectations, in certain areas. People will say one thing, now, and forget what they say and start talking what the retarded articles say, later. Nuuuuff 2 faced "fans", trust me. Don't even sweat that. YOU recognize his efforts and progression, so you and others have the appreciation more. It's all that counts, bruv. To each their own, I guess. I can't wait to hear what's said, when he's steady progresses. Lmao.

The joke is, we act like we can afford to diss everybody on the team, because we just have a "plethora" of players that are clambering to play here. So much so that we're blind to a player's heart and commitment to an already unpopular team. Dissed the Yung Gunz effort to help build sum'n for the city, by even committing to the fans at public gyms. They got slapped in the face by the fans because Yung Gunz failed to be LBJ, Wade and the "ever-loved" Bosh. ***.
                            thank you for your support and for recognizing my support and appreciation towards hard workers.

peace

Comment

Axel made a great point. Ever since he (Derozan) came in, there's never been a really true, TRUE leader on this team. I mean, Bosh was the best player, but he wasn't a leader like other all-stars are/were.

Lowry is our best player - not an all-star though - but he IS leader, who will lead by example, and works hard for everything. That attitude translates from him, to the 15th guy on the team. Derozan and him already have great chemistry, both play off of each other very well. I'm excited once Lowry comes back. Cause if Derozan continues to play this way, with a healthy, improving Kyle Lowry, watch out.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                                thank you for your support and for recognizing my support and appreciation towards hard workers.

peace

I'm with you too on this. My gf says I have my unwavering faith on the Raptors, so much she's even jealous. Hahaha (on a side note, I more than make it up to her for that)... Every year starts out with, Raptors, NBA Champs, then Raptors Playoff contenders, then Raptors competitive, all the way down to "Please just win the f'ing game!" I've seen my share of players since their inaugural year in 1995 and I've always believed that one day we'll have that player to lead us to the promise land. I admit, I thought we had it in VC but it did not happen. But now we have a slew of complimentary pieces on our roster waiting to shine and I'm confident that Derozan can help us get back to the playoffs. Of course, we're going to need all the help we can get.

On another note, for many years people dissed me for believing that my beloved Jays would someday win the world series. Like with the Raptors, every year was that expectation, championship, playoffs, contenders, win the damn game! Until one year they just put the right pieces together, and bam! World Series Champion #1 and then #2! Proudly, they are the last team to win back to back championships and the last team to win the World Series without the aid of the "wild card" format. With the rumors of the big blockbuster trade this year! I hope BC can make some magic happen the same way AA is doing for the Jays!
                                #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

Working...
                                X