Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Why are Raps fans so hard on DeMar?

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Well ofcourse those players dont need a superior development staff. What makes the spurs staff the stuff of LORE is their ability to make 2nd rounders great. If Lebron was drafted by the spurs he would be better then he is now.
    I think the Spurs get too much credit for things.. other than Manu what second round picks are you referring to? Here is a list of all their picks:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...SAS/draft.html

Dragic and Scola jump out but they developed under different teams (Phoenix and Houston respectively).

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dejaun Blair(37th), George Hill(26th), Manu Ginobili(57th), Dragic(45th), Leandro Barbosa(28th), John Salmons(26th), Luis Scola(55th), Tony Parker(28th),

This is between 1999-2012. They won 3 championships during this time. Not ONE SINGLE lottery pick in this time. This is LEGENDARY. This is turning 2nd round fodder into GOLD.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well ofcourse those players dont need a superior development staff. What makes the spurs staff the stuff of LORE is their ability to make 2nd rounders great. If Lebron was drafted by the spurs he would be better then he is now.
    Spurs training staff, or Spurs scouting staff? They pick guys who have defined skill sets that compliment the team's stars and their system and their deficiencies are hidden in the same manner. If they don't fit the system and can't produce, they don't play, plain and simple. Realistically all they're usually asked to do is hit the open shot and not commit turnovers.

I just think you're placing way too much emphasis on training staff. In my opinion the only thing that really matters is game minutes. If you've been following the league for a while then I'm sure you've heard the players say something like this over and over: 'nothing in practice can prepare you for the speed of the NBA game'.

Post Thanks / Like

Development + scouting is just unbelievable over there in Spur land.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    Spurs training staff, or Spurs scouting staff? They pick guys who have defined skill sets that compliment the team's stars and their system and their deficiencies are hidden in the same manner. If they don't fit the system and can't produce, they don't play, plain and simple. Realistically all they're usually asked to do is hit the open shot and not commit turnovers.

I just think you're placing way too much emphasis on training staff. In my opinion the only thing that really matters is game minutes. If you've been following the league for a while then I'm sure you've heard the players say something like this over and over: 'nothing in practice can prepare you for the speed of the NBA game'.

How much talent does a 57th pick usually have? Well spurs dont care, they teach him to play smart and Manu Ginobili becomes indispensable!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

How much talent does a 57th pick usually have? Well spurs dont care, they teach him to play smart and Manu Ginobili becomes indispensable!
    First off, consider that the Spurs scouting staff mastered something that it took a long time for other clubs to: scouting outside of North America. Not only in grabbing established players but in stashing picks that would develop overseas and come to the NBA once they were ready. Has nothing to do with the training staff.

Second, your statement above assumes that Ginobli wasn't very good when he arrived, which is untrue. He was a 25 year old rookie and played well from his first season in the league onward. By his 3rd season he was a stud and just happened to also be in his athletic prime.

If you look at the list of picks you outlined, the only one that the Spurs can really take credit for developing is Parker, and that took years.

Thread Information