Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: B. C. biggest draft mistakes. Not Barg.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Why do people keep saying this??
    Which one of his draft picks in Toronto have been so great to make people believe this crap?
    Let me quote a response I made in an old thread that I found:

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    When looking at a guy's draft history you have to look at the picks that were made after the pick that was chosen to see if he could have done any better. In most cases Bryan picked the best player even with hindsight. This includes his time in Phoenix as well.

Here is a rundown of the picks he made - I included notable 2nd round picks. Draft slot is in brackets:

1994 - Wesley Person (24)
    1995 - Michael Finley (21)
    1996 - Steve Nash (15)
    1997 - Stephen Jackson (42)
    1998 - [no picks]
    1999 - Shawn Marion (9)
    2000 - Jake Tsakalidis (25)
    2001 - [no picks]
    2002 - Amare Soudemire (9)
    2003 - Zarko Cabarkapa (17)
    2004 - Luol Deng (7)
    2005 - Nate Robinson (21)
    - Marcin Gortat (57)
    2006 - Andrea Bargnani (1)
    2007 - [no picks]
    2008 - [no picks]
    2009 - DeMar DeRozan (9)
    2010 - Ed Davis (13)
    2011 - Jonas Valanciunas (5)
    2012 - Terrence Ross (8)

Bryan isn't perfect.. no one is.. but he's made some good decisions with the cards that were dealt.

Now if you want to complain about the fact that he does not know how to trade up or down in a draft, I would have to agree 100%. He absolutely sucks at it. In fact I don't believe he's ever done that his whole career.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BryCo's speciality; the late lottery picks

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree he was amazing at drafts in Phoenix. In Toronto.............not so much (in my opinion......obviously, who else would I be talking for?)

He hasn't been T-Wolves/Cavs bad, but he hasn't been Thunder/Blazers good either. For where he's drafted he's basically got a passing grade in Toronto.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    I agree he was amazing at drafts in Phoenix. In Toronto.............not so much (in my opinion......obviously, who else would I be talking for?)

He hasn't been T-Wolves/Cavs bad, but he hasn't been Thunder/Blazers good either. For where he's drafted he's basically got a passing grade in Toronto.
    I respect your opinion but I'm not quite sure how Bryan could have done better in the Toronto drafts.

In 2009, he could have drafted Jennings, but I thought DeMar was the right choice, as Jennings hasn't blown anyone away. Holiday/Lawson/Teague went 17/18/19 in that draft.. a lot of teams passed on them, and so I can't blame Bryan for doing that as well. Drafting Holiday or Lawson at 9 would have been a huge reach at the time.

In 2010, it was a pretty weak draft. I guess you could say Avery Bradley but he went 19th.

In 2011, I thought JV was the best pick.. still too early to say anything but I'd be surprised if he isn't going to have a better career than guys like Walker/Biyombo/Knight/etc.

In 2012, he could have drafted Drummond.. but I was scared to death of him. Ross is a safe pick not a sexy pick. But we'll see how that pick holds up in about 2-3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm not really sure what better picks there were? a case could be made for lawson in the 2009 draft but that's about it.

my only issue with his drafting is he never moves up and gets a guy with obvious talent at a position of dire need.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I respect your opinion but I'm not quite sure how Bryan could have done better in the Toronto drafts.

In 2009, he could have drafted Jennings, but I thought DeMar was the right choice, as Jennings hasn't blown anyone away. Holiday/Lawson/Teague went 17/18/19 in that draft.. a lot of teams passed on them, and so I can't blame Bryan for doing that as well. Drafting Holiday or Lawson at 9 would have been a huge reach at the time.

In 2010, it was a pretty weak draft. I guess you could say Avery Bradley but he went 19th.

In 2011, I thought JV was the best pick.. still too early to say anything but I'd be surprised if he isn't going to have a better career than guys like Walker/Biyombo/Knight/etc.

In 2012, he could have drafted Drummond.. but I was scared to death of him. Ross is a safe pick not a sexy pick. But we'll see how that pick holds up in about 2-3 years.
    Holliday and Lawson were considered reaches where they got drafted
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like