Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter N,

Demar at 9, Ed at 13, Ross at 8, Val at 5

I think for someone who hasnt had a chance to draft top 5 since Bargnani (which imo isnt a bad draft pick), the likely hood of drafting a superstar is slim. Though, Im a big fan of his eye. To pull out JV was so counter-intuitive, but now he is looking more and more like a real pro. Demar, Ross, and Ed are all later first round picks, and I think with what was on the board, each one of those picks are going to deem results for their positions. Demar already is looking to be an utter STEAL at 9. Ross, I think has the potential to be better. Ed is getting there, and for the 13th pick is very solid.

Listen, the fact that he doesnt have Adam Morrison, Kwame Brown, Araujo, etc on his record. That in itself is a remarkable accomplishment for a GM.

*Edited
    Last edited by enlightenment; Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:49 AM.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Goran Dragic anyone over Nathan Jawai? 2008 draft

Comment

I don't really have a problem with BC's drafting -- everyone misses guys and the data on foreign and college hoops are sparse.

The real issue I have with BC is his management of free agency and restricted free agency. He overbids for players for no good reason, jumping the gun instead of looking at the big picture and evaluating his options. Bargs getting drafted, I totally understand. At the time I wanted him too. But when the time came to extend his contract, that's when he should have balked. At that point it was easy to tell that Bargs was never going to live up to his potential.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
          Letter N,

Demar at 9, Ed at 10, Ross at 8, Val at 5

I think for someone who hasnt had a chance to draft top 5 since Bargnani (which imo isnt a bad draft pick), the likely hood of drafting a superstar is slim. Though, Im a big fan of his eye. To pull out JV was so counter-intuitive, but now he is looking more and more like a real pro. Demar, Ross, and Ed are all later first round picks, and I think with what was on the board, each one of those picks are going to deem results for their positions. Demar already is looking to be an utter STEAL at 9. Ross, I think has the potential to be better. Ed is getting there, and for the 10th pick is very solid.

Listen, the fact that he doesnt have Adam Morrison, Kwame Brown, Araujo, etc on his record. That in itself is a remarkable accomplishment for a GM.
          ed was 13 if I am not mistaken

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
            ed was 13 if I am not mistaken
            fixed. also makes my point look better.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
              Why do people keep saying this??
              Which one of his draft picks in Toronto have been so great to make people believe this crap?
              Let me quote a response I made in an old thread that I found:

planetmars wrote: View Post
              When looking at a guy's draft history you have to look at the picks that were made after the pick that was chosen to see if he could have done any better. In most cases Bryan picked the best player even with hindsight. This includes his time in Phoenix as well.

Here is a rundown of the picks he made - I included notable 2nd round picks. Draft slot is in brackets:

1994 - Wesley Person (24)
              1995 - Michael Finley (21)
              1996 - Steve Nash (15)
              1997 - Stephen Jackson (42)
              1998 - [no picks]
              1999 - Shawn Marion (9)
              2000 - Jake Tsakalidis (25)
              2001 - [no picks]
              2002 - Amare Soudemire (9)
              2003 - Zarko Cabarkapa (17)
              2004 - Luol Deng (7)
              2005 - Nate Robinson (21)
              - Marcin Gortat (57)
              2006 - Andrea Bargnani (1)
              2007 - [no picks]
              2008 - [no picks]
              2009 - DeMar DeRozan (9)
              2010 - Ed Davis (13)
              2011 - Jonas Valanciunas (5)
              2012 - Terrence Ross (8)

Bryan isn't perfect.. no one is.. but he's made some good decisions with the cards that were dealt.

Now if you want to complain about the fact that he does not know how to trade up or down in a draft, I would have to agree 100%. He absolutely sucks at it. In fact I don't believe he's ever done that his whole career.

Comment

BryCo's speciality; the late lottery picks

Comment

I agree he was amazing at drafts in Phoenix. In Toronto.............not so much (in my opinion......obviously, who else would I be talking for?)

He hasn't been T-Wolves/Cavs bad, but he hasn't been Thunder/Blazers good either. For where he's drafted he's basically got a passing grade in Toronto.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                    I agree he was amazing at drafts in Phoenix. In Toronto.............not so much (in my opinion......obviously, who else would I be talking for?)

He hasn't been T-Wolves/Cavs bad, but he hasn't been Thunder/Blazers good either. For where he's drafted he's basically got a passing grade in Toronto.
                    I respect your opinion but I'm not quite sure how Bryan could have done better in the Toronto drafts.

In 2009, he could have drafted Jennings, but I thought DeMar was the right choice, as Jennings hasn't blown anyone away. Holiday/Lawson/Teague went 17/18/19 in that draft.. a lot of teams passed on them, and so I can't blame Bryan for doing that as well. Drafting Holiday or Lawson at 9 would have been a huge reach at the time.

In 2010, it was a pretty weak draft. I guess you could say Avery Bradley but he went 19th.

In 2011, I thought JV was the best pick.. still too early to say anything but I'd be surprised if he isn't going to have a better career than guys like Walker/Biyombo/Knight/etc.

In 2012, he could have drafted Drummond.. but I was scared to death of him. Ross is a safe pick not a sexy pick. But we'll see how that pick holds up in about 2-3 years.

Comment

i'm not really sure what better picks there were? a case could be made for lawson in the 2009 draft but that's about it.

my only issue with his drafting is he never moves up and gets a guy with obvious talent at a position of dire need.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        I respect your opinion but I'm not quite sure how Bryan could have done better in the Toronto drafts.

In 2009, he could have drafted Jennings, but I thought DeMar was the right choice, as Jennings hasn't blown anyone away. Holiday/Lawson/Teague went 17/18/19 in that draft.. a lot of teams passed on them, and so I can't blame Bryan for doing that as well. Drafting Holiday or Lawson at 9 would have been a huge reach at the time.

In 2010, it was a pretty weak draft. I guess you could say Avery Bradley but he went 19th.

In 2011, I thought JV was the best pick.. still too early to say anything but I'd be surprised if he isn't going to have a better career than guys like Walker/Biyombo/Knight/etc.

In 2012, he could have drafted Drummond.. but I was scared to death of him. Ross is a safe pick not a sexy pick. But we'll see how that pick holds up in about 2-3 years.
                        Holliday and Lawson were considered reaches where they got drafted
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

BCs drafting in Toronto - whatever that grey area is between not terrible but not particularily good.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            Holliday and Lawson were considered reaches where they got drafted
                            http://www.nba.com/2009/news/feature...sus/index.html

Jrue Holiday was a lottery pick in all but one of the mocks, Ty Lawson in half of them. They went 17 and 18 respectively

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                              fixed. also makes my point look better.
                              lol ok.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                                http://www.nba.com/2009/news/feature...sus/index.html

Jrue Holiday was a lottery pick in all but one of the mocks, Ty Lawson in half of them. They went 17 and 18 respectively
                                hmmm interesting. my memory is broken it would seem.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X