Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Jeremy Lin blames racism for harsh criticm

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter Fuchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Jeremy Lin blames racism for harsh criticm

    http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...t%7CSports%7Cp

    Its because he's asian? I always thought it was just because he looks like a little dork

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A (big) part of the hype that was called linsanity was because he was asian, so his coments are invalid when it comes to criticism

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Vykis wrote: View Post
    A (big) part of the hype that was called linsanity was because he was asian, so his coments are invalid when it comes to criticism
    I don't get this. He can't say it's because of racism because he was (at least partly) hyped because he was asian? Maybe I don't get what you mean.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter Fuchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think he's feeling the pressure. Last year he was just some scrub who overperformed and did great things. Now everyone expects that from him, and has the paycheque to go with it. Silly to play the race card though, I don't remember Yao ever complaining

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fuchan wrote: View Post
    I think he's feeling the pressure. Last year he was just some scrub who overperformed and did great things. Now everyone expects that from him, and has the paycheque to go with it. Silly to play the race card though, I don't remember Yao ever complaining
    Well, it's pretty obvious, even this forum, that somehow a lot of people are extremely negative about Lin. It's not hard to take this personally. And, as far as I know, there is no reason whatsoever to be so negative about him based on his character or any action he has taken. Not saying it's racism, but not saying there is none involved either. I do think, that when someone is doing very well and getting a lot of attention, there are always a lot of people who want the mighty to fall and to fail. It's not weird for someone who has experienced racism to perceive this as such; most of it probably was due to Knicksism which is completely legal and should even be stimulated.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,655
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Well, it's pretty obvious, even this forum, that somehow a lot of people are extremely negative about Lin.....
    I never read a single serious word that I thought pointed to race in any discussions about Lin falling to earth eventually. I read a lot of comments that he happened to be a good guard who happened to fall into a perfect situation for his style of play and that even then, 11 assists don't look that great beside 6 turnovers. In fact, for the year (2011-2012) he averaged about .6 TO for every assist. Many, many posters on this forum were pointing to the numbers and saying that he was no super star, just a lucky kid who was going to get a huge contract form somebody who would wind up sorry. He's not the first, and won't be the last. And they come in all colours, races and sizes.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    I never read a single serious word that I thought pointed to race in any discussions about Lin falling to earth eventually. I read a lot of comments that he happened to be a good guard who happened to fall into a perfect situation for his style of play and that even then, 11 assists don't look that great beside 6 turnovers. In fact, for the year (2011-2012) he averaged about .6 TO for every assist. Many, many posters on this forum were pointing to the numbers and saying that he was no super star, just a lucky kid who was going to get a huge contract form somebody who would wind up sorry. He's not the first, and won't be the last. And they come in all colours, races and sizes.
    I didn't say the negativity was racism and didn't mean to imply it.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I always thought the criticism stemmed from the media build up he got. Personally, I think he's a good player, and his story is remarkable. But in all honesty, there's nothing about him YET that screams all-star, or even above-average starter. But the media hype he got was immense; in part because he was Asian, but mainly due to the fact he was playing for a big market franchise. ESPN really only cares about a few teams, and the influence of the NY media is far-reaching. I mean, it's not like Isaiah Thomas got this kind of attention, even though he was a 60th pick that ended up starting. With that national attention, it's easy for guys to expect him to be great, something he hasn't become yet. So yeah, it's dumb for him to play the race card. But the expectations for him are out of whack, and I can see how he'd get mad at that.
    Not to say I didn't enjoy the Lin story. He was a great fit for the D'antoni system.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,087
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Race playing a positive does NOT negate racism. Person in the video has no clue...

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Race playing a positive does NOT negate racism. Person in the video has no clue...
    i tend to think he should have tried to remind people he was a basketball player first when everything was going his way. but blaming race now when there are black, white and whatever colour hispanics are that get the same criticisms when they sign massive bloated deals and then don't perform is a cop out.

    if people are yelling "earn your money chink" at him, then it is horrible racism. but if he is just feeling the heat because of his play and contract signing after a good chunk of games last year then he is an ass.

    have to take the good with the bad and the bad with the good. he is lucky harden is there and the team is winning or the racism against his bad play would be huge.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,655
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    I didn't say the negativity was racism and didn't mean to imply it.
    Ha. Lesson to all. Read a post twice before you reply. Obvious on second reading that you definitely were NOT implying racism specifically, just alluding to his perception.

    Thanks for pointing out my mistake. Love the avatar by the way. Took me quite a while to figure it out...European ball biting habit. Not implying that Europeans bite balls. That would be an ethnic slur.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •