No announcement yet.

If Gasol doesn't work with the lakers..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Gasol doesn't work with the lakers..

Most of the talk is that if Dantoni's style doesn't quit fit, the solution is to trade Gasol. This would of course only happen much later in the season, jan-feb when all contracts are essentially now available to trade (including those who were signed that year)

The #1 trade out there is for Smith and Korver but most writers are failing to find a good reason for Altanta to do it as it doesn't clearly make them any better. I for one think they are better off using their cap space to either resign smith or go after younger bigs with their cap room (Millsap/Jefferson are both UFA's).

So assuming smith isn't available, they are saying that the Lakers need a stretch 4. To me, there are only really 2 starting caliber stretch 4's that come to mind, Ryan Anderson and Bargnani. Bargnani seems to be the more realistic option because his contract length fits with their 3 year window and Andereson was just signed to pair with Davis.

The best part of a potential trade for both teams is outside of this 1 for 1 swap. The Lakers have no bench and Gasol's contract is so large that other Raptor pieces would have to move. The Raptors are full of overpaid but good bench players and the Lakers, who are in win now mode might be the only team willing to commit to contracts in their 3 year window. Effectively, they could offer Bargnani, Fields, Amir and Aaron Gray for Gasol. Accoriding to hoopshype salaries and trade machine, this would just fit.

Lakers Like because:
    1) Stretch shooter to run and gun and play alongside Dwight
    2) Dwight can make up for Barg's lack of rebounding
    3) All contract commitments over within their 3 year window
    4) Solidifies bench rotation with backup SG/SF, PF and C

Raptors like because:
    1) Eliminate our overpaid contracts (don't want to say bad because I actually like/respect all of these players, they are just paid too much)
    2) Puts us back in a position of great cap room (either Kleiza doesn't use his option or is amnestied). From Hoopshype salaries, the net effect of this would put total payroll at just under $46,000,000. Although there are no up and coming small forwards, we would have enough money to lure great small forwards (Iggy, Kirlenko)
    3) Provides a significant short term improvement at power forward and keeps us with one of the few 2 7 footer line ups
    4) $19 million expiring contract the following season

The only real con is losing our depth but we get a very solid starting line up.

Potential depth chart:
    PG: Lowry/Lucas (maybe even jose if he wants to resign for a reasonable salary. Possible through bird rights)
    SG: Demar, Ross
    SF: A free agent here (Iggy/Kirlenko) / Ross / Mcguire
    PF: Gasol/Acy
    C: Jonas/ED

Don't mean to mini-mod, but if you checked the trade proposal forum a few of us have suggested and discussed a trade involving Gasol, as seen here:
    http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...-Houston-Utah)
    http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...968-LA-Tor-Atl

Personally I do not want to see gasol here and have tried to make trades based on him going to Houston or Atlanta who expressed interest in home over the summer.

Comment

I had proposed this in March and everyone scolded me lol..

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...LAL&highlight=

Comment

i'd do it but try to hang on to amir and shed kleiza.. dont know if that would work though. JV could learn alot from gasol
        No Dissrespect...
        With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.. You hear me BC?

Comment

I made a Gasol to TO trade suggestion in the trade forum a couple of weeks ago.

To Raptors - Gasol

To LAL - Bargnani and Calderon
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Hello wrote: View Post

Personally I do not want to see gasol here and have tried to make trades based on him going to Houston or Atlanta who expressed interest in home over the summer.
            agree
            "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

The AB and Jose trade would be great for LAL IMO but I don't see how Gasol and no depth at point helps TOR too much but I love Gasol and would love to see him in TO.

Would prefer something like Amir, Andrea and JL3. Amir would give them a serious upgrade off the bench, Drea could bring the outside shooting and JL3 would be a good backup scoring PG which they haven't had in years.

Side note: On the Jalen Rose Show, JR is insisting Gasol has to go for Jsmoove or a Stretch 4 in the Ryan Anderson mould. I think RA is = to AB or a bit worse overall talent but is more respected in the American media (wonder why? no, neither do I)
              Last edited by minks77; Fri Nov 16, 2012, 07:26 AM.
              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

I would have liked to keep certain players in our rotation but sending for the raps to have cap room they have to make sure no player options are exercised for klieza and gray and lose fields and Johnson.

I dot like the lack of depth o the raps but the bench should be way easier to replace and the starting lineup would rival the best

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                  The AB and Jose trade would be great for LAL IMO but I don't see how Gasol and no depth at point helps TOR too much but I love Gasol and would love to see him in TO.

Would prefer something like Amir, Andrea and JL3. Amir would give them a serious upgrade off the bench, Drea could bring the outside shooting and JL3 would be a good backup scoring PG which they haven't had in years.

Side note: On the Jalen Rose Show, JR is insisting Gasol has to go for Jsmoove or a Stretch 4 in the Ryan Anderson mould. I think RA is = to AB or a bit worse overall talent but is more respected in the American media (wonder why? no, neither do I)
                  Ryan Anderson is younger then Bargs by 3years & is a better rebounder... he averaged 16pts 9rbs last season...goes to show that a PF parked on the 3pt line should still get some rebounds. id prefer Anderson over Bargs but thats because of the rebounding.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                    Ryan Anderson is younger then Bargs by 3years & is a better rebounder... he averaged 16pts 9rbs last season...goes to show that a PF parked on the 3pt line should still get some rebounds. id prefer Anderson over Bargs but thats because of the rebounding.
                    He's by far a much better rebounder and I've used RA as a counter argument to the AB Fanboys constant arguement that ABs rebounding is somehow connected to his coaches parking him at the 3 point arc. However, AB is a more talented and more diverse offensive player and I'd argue they are about equally weak defenders.

I'm not a fan of the stretch 4. overrated gimmick IMO.
                    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Trading for Gasol makes little sense in that he's already 30+ and is pretty much declining. The Raptors are not ready for a high priced vet like Gasol at this juncture.

Better option would be to do a 3-way trade with a team that might want Gasol's services. Like Atlanta or possibly Houston.

Comment

Working...
                      X