Raptors Will Be Buyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Will Be Buyers

Now that those silly trade rumours surrounding Bosh can be put to rest we can focus on the position the raptors will be taking before the trade deadline. Bryan Coangelo has stated his intentions in an interview on Fan 590 which was outlined at bleacher report.

1. The Raptors are not planning to trade Chris Bosh.
    2. The Raptors consider themselves to be buyers at the trade deadline.
    3. Bryan Colangelo believes the Raptors are just one key player away from competing with Boston, Orlando, Cleveland, and Atlanta.
    4. The team will be patient and they are looking for the right deal to help their team.
    5. If the right deal can be found, the Raptors will do it.
    6. The Raptors will not avoid a deal solely because of luxury tax concerns.
    I like hearing that Bryan is not afriad to take a risk and go into the luxury tax but I hope he doesn't make a deal just to make a deal. We have good momentum right now and if Bryan can bring in a solid player without disrupting our core then fans may just post-pone our hedo-fail talk a little longer until we see how we do in the post-season.

Source - Bryan Colangelo Interview

Source - Raptors Look to Make a Deal

1. The Raptors are not planning to trade Chris Bosh.
    hmm I listened to the podcast and the last thing Bryan Colangelo said was:

"We kinda put one issue to bed at least and I hope people reliase that our intentions is not to trade Chris Bosh but I would tell you that if the right deal came along between now and the trade deadline and the right piece was available, I would say that we are buyers not sellers right now, in a very funny market with the tax and cap taking serious pressure right now for alot of teams, I would tell you that we would pull the trigger on a deal if it made sense for us"

So did he really say anything that we already don't know? The Chris Bosh situation is still out there, I mean its pretty much tells me that Bosh is not going anywhere unless a really good deal is out there as opposed to saying there is no way he would trade Chris Bosh.

Comment

[/QUOTE]So did he really say anything that we already don't know? The Chris Bosh situation is still out there, I mean its pretty much tells me that Bosh is not going anywhere unless a really good deal is out there as opposed to saying there is no way he would trade Chris Bosh.[/QUOTE]

well, by emphasizing that the raps would be buyers instead of sellers, and since it's obvious that by trading bosh they would be sellers, my take is that BC means that they are not going to be trading bosh.
      TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Hrm, very very interesting. The only impact player (someone who can change whether we get out of the first round) is someone like Iggy.

Do we have the assets to get him? Philly wants cap relief and young players back. Amir+Wright+Demar + future first + filler?

The biggest loss in such a trade is Amir really..we don't have an amazing backup big man. Demar at this point in his career is the most expendable asset we have, if BC wants to make a move that will allow us to compete with the top 4.

Or Caron, perhaps? that might be enough if we only have to give up Calderon. I'd be pretty hesitant to give up both Amir and Demar for him, though..would be an epic fail.

Comment

Looking For A Shooting Guard

No one would offer to BC what would be necessary to get Bosh especially since Bosh can be a free agent this summer.

It seems to me that the one piece is the SG spot, which would make sense.

I would think a very good SG with experience to replace DD in the starting lineup.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

DeRozan certainly could use a good mentor.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              DeRozan certainly could use a good mentor.
              So could Johnson.

It just seems to me from watching the games that Bosh and Johnson are developing a good relationship.

In Detroit Sheed took Johnson under his wing. That is where Johnson learned about defense. Now if Bosh would mentor Johnson on offense over the next several seasons.

Gee what more could a young talented big want? First to be mentored by Rasheed Wallace on how to play defense and then to be mentored by CB4 on how to play offense.
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                So could Johnson.

It just seems to me from watching the games that Bosh and Johnson are developing a good relationship.

In Detroit Sheed took Johnson under his wing. That is where Johnson learned about defense. Now if Bosh would mentor Johnson on offense over the next several seasons.

Gee what more could a young talented big want? First to be mentored by Rasheed Wallace on how to play defense and then to be mentored by CB4 on how to play offense.
                Looks like AE is mentoring Johnson. That will work. No wonder Johnson is starting to show some nice low post moves.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/articl...an-eager-pupil

Comment

Ripp wrote: View Post
                  Hrm, very very interesting. The only impact player (someone who can change whether we get out of the first round) is someone like Iggy.

Do we have the assets to get him? Philly wants cap relief and young players back. Amir+Wright+Demar + future first + filler?

The biggest loss in such a trade is Amir really..we don't have an amazing backup big man. Demar at this point in his career is the most expendable asset we have, if BC wants to make a move that will allow us to compete with the top 4.

Or Caron, perhaps? that might be enough if we only have to give up Calderon. I'd be pretty hesitant to give up both Amir and Demar for him, though..would be an epic fail.
                  i can't put into words how dis-interested i am in a trade for iggy, unless it involves ridding the raps of each & every shitty contract on the books....but then, that's what philly will be trying to do as well (rid themselves of either brand or sammy D in any deal with iggy...if they can't move either of those guys without moving iggy at all, that is).
                  TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

I hope BC doesn't make any moves and let's this team continue to gel. Everyone on this team now knows their role and everyone is playing really well.
                    RR OG

Comment

I hope BC knocks one out of the park. The team has gelled, now its time to make the final touches in a bid to keep Bosh. I know what they've been saying but don't take everyone at face value. I haven't seen Chris Bosh's name on a new contract and until the time comes where he has an opportunity to sign the dotted line the Raptors need to keep growing aggressively.

Comment

I personally can't believe how well the raps are playing right now, it seems foolish to make any bold moves. I was a big fan of moving Jose for a stud, but the combo with Jack just makes us so dangerous. Without Jose the Jacks/Banks combo makes us one of the worst pg tandems in the L.

The only wrinkle that I support Bry exploring is the fact that so many teams are looking to quality players with reasonable contracts. It looks like Philly, Washington, Indiana, GS, NJ, LAC and any other lottery bound team are looking to shed money anyway they can.

Adding any pieces, especially major ones such as a Butler, Kevin Martin, Iggy etc is sure to disrupt the chemistry that took the first 20 games to gel. Whose shots are they gonna take? Turk is already proven he's a moody, ball demanding misfit. As much as I have to come to loathe his lack of production and lethargic efforts, I don't see how he we add without subtracting. We've pretty much gone on this extending run getting below average production from our small forward position. A simple improvement from him could be what it takes to push into the next level.

If anything I would add an athletic lockdown two in the Thabo/Quinton Ross style, but otherwise I say ride it out and hope Turk finds his game come spring time.

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
                          I personally can't believe how well the raps are playing right now, it seems foolish to make any bold moves. I was a big fan of moving Jose for a stud, but the combo with Jack just makes us so dangerous. Without Jose the Jacks/Banks combo makes us one of the worst pg tandems in the L.
                          Without Jose, Hedo could finally start playing the role he thrived at in Orlando. Without Jose, Hedo starts earning his salary on a nightly basis.

Comment

Thats a good point.
                            I have total faith in Colangelo to make the right move if he feels it will have a direct impact on our ability to go far in the play offs. Turk is far more important than Jose.

I keep flip flopping on whether to make a big splash or not.

Does the Easts new found vulnerability make BC more likely to make a move or does it make him more confident that our flawed, but cohesive team could make a serious run.

I guess it should come down match ups. If we can get a wing to throw on Lebron, Joe Johnson, Pierce or Carter as opposed to letting Derozan get sliced and diced you have to make that move.

Comment

Colangelo has come out and said clearly that he wants to make a serious move. I'm not sure how we can debate that. It sounds like if a trade he likes is identified then he's doing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X