Drafting, recruiting. SOFT stereotype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drafting, recruiting. SOFT stereotype

Topics became pretty much the same during these two weeks. Do you guys still have stereotypes on European players that they are soft and not welcomed in TO as they even have helped to create an distorted american perception that this team is soft.

Which euro picks affected this stereotype? AB, Turkoglu? Calderon, don't think so, who else? JV is completely opposite I believe, Kleiza also. My choice would be AB, as a leader (not anymore), he is example to others, and he's god damn soft, afraid to scratch his face. Now when Lowry is here, tanking to the rim, anyone noticed how hard of some players around are trying to play? Forcing fouls and not getting them, heh, refs are not used to that, does not understand what's happening. Do you think this seasons team is still soft?

This is how they see it.

Would you wish to risk on European players on the future, just because of the managements style of drafting and recruiting? Or trust NCAA and go on "sexy" picks from States. Yes, I know the rule, "pick the best player available", but Colangelo admitted himself, that he is not following it, as he has many factors, which includes drafting, not just basketball capabilities of the player.
    Last edited by RandomGuy; Fri Nov 16, 2012, 08:00 AM.
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Do European players have a 'soft' stereotype? Yes. They have for a very long time. Colangelo's european emphasis didn't start that, although it may have enhanced it.

"soft" player come in all shapes, sizes, races, religions, and nationalities. SO avoid soft players? Sure. Avoid European players because they are perceived to be soft? No.

Somehow I don't think fans would have a problem with a team of the Gasol brothers, Deng, Batum, and Rubio.

Comment

I could list a tonne of soft North American players and a tonne of tough Euros, but I am sure we all could.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Players of african descent usually are much more athletic, strong than the finesse european players, they simply overpover european centres with their brute strength and athleticism I think the soft label is used most on finesse, skinny centres or 7 footers because physically they cannot contain the Dwight Howards and Shaqs of the league and on offense they shoot jumpers rather than bang inside thats how they got the label. But the label is used not just on the European players there are some African americans that were/are labeled soft because of their physical limitations/ not the classic style of big man play (Bosh for example), and of course there are the players that are just soft because of their physique (Big Baby, Boris Diaw)

Comment

I'd draft the better player. Period.
          Biggest Raptors fan from the Land Down Under

@alexhaggispinch

Toronto Raptors
          Sydney Swans, Melbourne Storm
          Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Stars, LA Angels of Anaheim

Comment

Colin Cowherd is an idiot

Comment

Calderon is a tough player who plays aggressively and is not afraid of contact. His defense is bad because of a lack of lateral quickness, not because he's "soft."

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                Calderon is a tough player who plays aggressively and is not afraid of contact. His defense is bad because of a lack of lateral quickness, not because he's "soft."
                I would tend to agree, overall.

The only way I'd label Calderon soft is when he fouls a guy going for a layup. He is the king of giving out And1's.

Comment

"That flop in toronto"

ugh, this guy pisses me off. Racist too.
                  The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Comment

AHAHAHA Google's recommendations read my mind!
                      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Haha, apparently I'm not the only one who thinks that way...

Comment

Working...
                        X