Brotherston @ HoopsWorld.com: Fields is not a bust afterall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brotherston @ HoopsWorld.com: Fields is not a bust afterall

According to at least one medical reference source, if no postoperative immobilization is necessary, it may be possible for Fields to begin active motion almost immediately with the resumption of normal activities within one to two months, so the Raptors have hope for a quick return to the lineup.

With a solid explanation behind Fields abysmal start to the season and the likely solution in hand, the complaints about the Raptors free agent addition should begin to die down. Fields wasn’t trying too hard or suffering from poor team chemistry, it was a correctable medical condition and the Raptors will find out what kind of player they really acquired in another month or two.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/raptors-la...ust-after-all/
    Most of the article is a transcribe of his interview yesterday which was posted in another thread.

What do you think? Is Fields a bust? Is this injury an excuse? Do you reserve the right to pass judgement?
    Yes - Great excuse though
    13.33%
    No - Thank heavens there is a reason
    20.00%
    I'm going to do something uncommon around here: wait and see
    66.67%

Fields is a bust so far. No question.

Will he still be after the surgery? I have no idea how this will impact him.

Did he have this all last season to? If not then I'm not convinced much changes (except I don't see it as conceivable that he could stay as absolutely terrible as he has been). Ofcourse if he was injured last season I question if this was disclosed or not, or if this organization did its due diligence. Then again, he probably could have been blind and in a wheel chair and it wouldn't have stopped BC from pursuing Nash.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post

Did he have this all last season to? If not then I'm not convinced much changes (except I don't see it as conceivable that he could stay as absolutely terrible as he has been). Ofcourse if he was injured last season I question if this was disclosed or not, or if this organization did its due diligence. Then again, he probably could have been blind and in a wheel chair and it wouldn't have stopped BC from pursuing Nash.
      No shit on the bold.

The reference to last season is a tad exaggerated. His shooting percentages were down across the board with FT and 3pt obvious. However, his FG% was still 46% which is respectable.

His percentages this year are absolutely disgraceful: 20%fg, 0% 3pt, and 66% ft (although ft appears on par with his career in pros and college).

I'm not sure where all this talk of the injury/condition occurring before this season is coming from. At least indicate you are speculating when throwing around such accusations. Fields said in his interview it started in training camp and even if it started before training camp, his contract was signed in early July.

Personally, I'm in the wait and see.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        No shit on the bold.

The reference to last season is a tad exaggerated. His shooting percentages were down across the board with FT and 3pt obvious. However, his FG% was still 46% which is respectable.

His percentages this year are absolutely disgraceful: 20%fg, 0% 3pt, and 66% ft (although ft appears on par with his career in pros and college).

I'm not sure where all this talk of the injury/condition occurring before this season is coming from. At least indicate you are speculating when throwing around such accusations. Fields said in his interview it started in training camp and even if it started before training camp, his contract was signed in early July.

Personally, I'm in the wait and see.
        What? I asked if he had it last season... I never stated, speculated or accused that he did.

Comment

I can't imagine he actually somehow got as bad as he has looked this season. I used to really covet him when he was on the Knicks, I'm going to assume he is going to regain his form.

Comment

What? I asked if he had it last season... I never stated, speculated or accused that he did.
            I misinterpreted. I apologize.

Comment

I misinterpreted. I apologize.
              no worries

Comment

Most of the article is a transcribe of his interview yesterday which was posted in another thread.

Is this injury an excuse?
                Yes with the putrid start and his salary v production there was a tsunami of snickering, criticism, and down right second guessing coming the way of BC DC ES this is a brilliant way of buying time.
                "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

I feel like Landry Fields, through no fault of his own, became a bust the day he signed the offer sheet with Toronto because he doesn't have the talent to EVER live up to his pay. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all but healthy or not that contract will loom large over his entire tenure as a Toronto Raptor.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                    I feel like Landry Fields, through no fault of his own, became a bust the day he signed the offer sheet with Toronto because he doesn't have the talent to EVER live up to his pay. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all but healthy or not that contract will loom large over his entire tenure as a Toronto Raptor.
                    +1

Comment

This is typically more of a chronic, slowly-developing, condition. It's not an "injury" per se, like a muscular or ligamentous strain. It would not have shown up on any imaging he had prior to being signed, and probably not on the physical exam either as nobody would have been looking for it. The raps staff are not at fault for not knowing about it.

Hopefully Fields does well after his operation - if he had significant compression, it could have had a profound impact on his hands as most of the small muscles in the hand are innervated by the ulnar nerve. If he had a mild compression on the nerve-conduction studies, we'll have to see as lots of people with no symptoms have slowing of the ulnar nerve at the elbow. I guess we'll see.

Comment

Other than his shot, I always liked Landry. Good rebounder, good defender, great off-ball player. He'll be key when he comes back.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                          Other than his shot, I always liked Landry. Good rebounder, good defender, great off-ball player. He'll be key when he comes back.
                          Agreed.

And lucky for me, he's still perfectly Mediocre in NBA 2k13.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            Agreed.

I think what's underrated of Fields, is his ability to feed an open man. He always has his head up whenever he makes some sort of move.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              Agreed.

In 2k13 I always start Lowry, Ross, Fields, Kleiza, and Bargnani...

They can all shoot 3s

If only it was like that in real life because I feel guilty whenever I hit a 3 with Fields
                              TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Working...
                              X