WoW article: DeMar DeRozan is no Vince Carter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice article http://worldthroughsports.wordpress....s-improvement/

"DeMar’s Synergy numbers are similarly sparkling. Right now, he’s the 6th most efficient post player in the league, and he’s averaging 1.03 PPP. Compare that to Kobe Bryant’s 1.04 PPP, on slightly fewer post plays. DeMar’s spot up and pick and roll shot making has improved too. He’s the 23rd most efficient spot up scorer, and the 13 most efficient scorer as the ballhandler in pick and rolls. His jump shot appears more confident, and I don’t cringe when he takes 3 pointers anymore, at least not when he’s open. In the pick and roll DeMar has been able to get to the rim more often, and even though he’s still blatantly and mystifyingly disrespected by officials (seriously, I think he may be one of the 10 most disrespected players in the league) he’s recording a career high Free Throw Rate, which is a big reason for his increased efficiency from last year."

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
      You must be new to the internet.

I'm not going to get drawn into an argument about whether or not DD is a 'good' player. The point is that Brandon doesn't think he is, he has the stats to back it up, and he's expressing his opinion. Whether you call it pessimism or not, he has every right to do so and you might want to consider that although his opinion may be somewhat extreme, it comes from the same place an overly optimistic opinion comes from: passion for the team. He wouldn't be arguing that DD is crap if he didn't care about the team and didn't want them to go in a different direction.
      Y'all really don't get it? His "point" that I'm speaking to isn't his opinion of DD. My point wasn't in reference to that at all, but to the expression of "my favourite part", as in some sort of enjoyment out of what.......... some perception of confirmation of one's pessimism? My point is, hey if that's what you enjoy in following this team, my sympathies.

Get it yet? My point isn't about his opinion of DD, but what he's getting enjoyment from, but if that turns you on.....

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
        Y'all really don't get it? His "point" that I'm speaking to isn't his opinion of DD. My point wasn't in reference to that at all, but to the expression of "my favourite part", as in some sort of enjoyment out of what.......... some perception of confirmation of one's pessimism? My point is, hey if that's what you enjoy in following this team, my sympathies.

Get it yet? My point isn't about his opinion of DD, but what he's getting enjoyment from, but if that turns you on.....
        Favourite doesn't imply that I derived any pleasure from it. Most of the article is devoted to proving something -- that DeRozan, a scrub, is no Vinsanity, a hoops genius, that I regard as an a priori fact, like a mathematical truth. I would not find an article that defends 2+2=4 particularly interesting because that is also an a priori fact.

The particular passage I quoted was one which was both pithy and free of euphemistic language. That is what I appreciated about it. Also, it's unquestionably true.

Comment

If DeRozan is no Vince Carter than Brandon is no genius

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            If DeRozan is no Vince Carter than Brandon is no genius
            +1

I personally don't understand how ANYONE can say Derozan is a scrub. Jason Kapono, now THAT's a scrub.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
              'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
              Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'

-- John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn
              Wow, you want the epic eye roll you've got it. It reveals a pretension that often times come with being fixated on a few 'truths' to rationalize a point. You overstate your point in your damnation of Derozan. There's a reason people like Kobe take an off season interest in helping him. It's because he has serious potential and is starting to realize it. I take that as a greater sign of potential than your myopic fixations and poetic ramblings.

Comment

Also to call Derozan's contract disastrous just shows how off the rails you are. He's not paid like an elite level talent is he? Is he getting properly compensated for where he is and where the franchise sees him developing this year and the next few? Absolutely. Nobody came out (other than psycho medicated Raptors fans) and said they thought Derozan's contract was an absurd overpayment. I didn't see any anyway.

And please stop calling the front office a regime. See my last comment about ridiculous pretension. If your points are valid you don't have to stretch the meaning of nice sounding words to validate them.

Comment

xunknownx wrote: View Post
                  nice article http://worldthroughsports.wordpress....s-improvement/

"DeMar’s Synergy numbers are similarly sparkling. Right now, he’s the 6th most efficient post player in the league, and he’s averaging 1.03 PPP. Compare that to Kobe Bryant’s 1.04 PPP, on slightly fewer post plays. DeMar’s spot up and pick and roll shot making has improved too. He’s the 23rd most efficient spot up scorer, and the 13 most efficient scorer as the ballhandler in pick and rolls. His jump shot appears more confident, and I don’t cringe when he takes 3 pointers anymore, at least not when he’s open. In the pick and roll DeMar has been able to get to the rim more often, and even though he’s still blatantly and mystifyingly disrespected by officials (seriously, I think he may be one of the 10 most disrespected players in the league) he’s recording a career high Free Throw Rate, which is a big reason for his increased efficiency from last year."
                  Alot of that article is relative... which the author doesn't address. Some of the numbers are marginal improvements and others are only improvements from last year, and not his historic numbers.

He’s scoring more efficiently, and he’s diversified his offensive game. He’s rebounding better.
                  Demar's eFG% and TS% are up from last year, but still down from his first 2 years in the league. Hist 3pt % is down from last year, but equal to his rookie year. However he is taking more 3pters. His assist% is up from his first two years in the league, but down from last year - although I do want to point out that decrease from last year is marginal, but so is the increase from his 2nd year. His TOV% is by far his lowest to date. His fta/fga is amazingly consistent with his historic fta/fga per game (0.39, 0.37, 0.35, 0.39). His rebounding is up from the previous 2 years - but on par with his rookie year.

So has Demar diversified his offensive game? Yes. He is posting up more, shooting more 3s, shooting less 18-23fters than ever and controlling the ball better.

But has that led to scoring more efficiently? Only compared to last season. Looking at everything as a whole he is pretty much on par with his historic numbers.

Will it lead to more efficient scoring? It should.

I don't doubt that should Demar become consistent with his play he will have by far his best season to date. However, if he remains inconsistent, which he has this short season so far and over his career, he'll end up looking like he always has.

Thats been the real problem with Demar. Consistency.

Example. This year alone Demar has had 2 games with > 5 assists. He's only done that in 1 game before in his career. Sounds very promising right? Except those games are sandwiched between 3 games of 0 assists, and the 3 previous games were 1, 1, 2. Now I'm not expecting Demar to rack up 5 assist a games or nothing, but its an example of the real story of Demar. Will he or can he become consistent?

Unfortunately it sounds amazingly similar to another Raptor we all know too well.....

Comment

Working...
                  X