Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't we ever execute a full court press?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't we ever execute a full court press?

Or even a half court press? And why don't other less talented teams for that matter? Watching us sit back and allow Rondo to do whatever he wanted on a beastly half court team yesterday made me want to puke.

Oh, it's tiring? My goodness 5 Million plus a year and professional athletes are actually allowed to say that?
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Long story short... We do.

Just cause you don't see it every game doesn't mean we don't do it.
    Don't forget we have Calderon at starting point. He is a terrible defender that would just get burned.
    Casey is smart with our D. He will run Man to man for a few mins then BOOM flips it to zone for a few plays , then into a full court man. He likes to be really random on offense and defense. I guess it throws the other team right off unless they have high BBAL IQ.

Comment

Full court press is something you usually only see at the end of a close game in the NBA. The press takes a lot physical energy to sustain, it works better at the college and high school levels with younger players playing shorter games and shorter seasons. Rick Pitino tried to bring that full court press style to the NBA without much success.

Comment

it requires a big to trap, usually a full court press leaves another big open and is a risky move. If everyone is playing correctly, then the pass out of the trap is usually covered by another defender ready to steal it, but then again could you imagine how tired Bargnani would get trapping the full court, and how out of focus he would be if he were defending the pass. It would probably cost us a lot of fast break points. (Granted we'd force some turnovers and capitalize ourselves, but I dont trust our teams focus to maintain a profit)
        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

A couple people have hit some of these points, but quickly
          - You almost never see zone-type presses in the NBA - they work in highschool / college because players are worse and you can take advantage of their lack of skill. They get burned in the NBA and give up easy hoops
          - Having said that, in the NBA, you do see full court man pressure (usually used to get the ball out of the hands of a particularily good PG) or a half court trap where you pick up man to man and then double / trap.
          - On the full court, you have to have good defenders .. Jose doesnt qualify (alhough Lowry / JL3 could be ok)
          - On the half court, we could maybe mix that in a little bit - but again, better perimeter defenders (and taller guys) make this work best .. we dont have much of either

All in all .. I like the thought of mixing things up (for example, we should play at least some zone every game .. it works well for us). But, Im not sure full court press is the answer (at least not right now with the injuries)

Comment

Also Jose is the last PG you want to press with
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
              A couple people have hit some of these points, but quickly
              - You almost never see zone-type presses in the NBA - they work in highschool / college because players are worse and you can take advantage of their lack of skill. They get burned in the NBA and give up easy hoops
              - Having said that, in the NBA, you do see full court man pressure (usually used to get the ball out of the hands of a particularily good PG) or a half court trap where you pick up man to man and then double / trap.
              - On the full court, you have to have good defenders .. Jose doesnt qualify (alhough Lowry / JL3 could be ok)
              - On the half court, we could maybe mix that in a little bit - but again, better perimeter defenders (and taller guys) make this work best .. we dont have much of either

All in all .. I like the thought of mixing things up (for example, we should play at least some zone every game .. it works well for us). But, Im not sure full court press is the answer (at least not right now with the injuries)
              +1, all good points

Comment

Working...
              X